C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Diablosport Predator.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:54 PM
SunsetStroker
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about Diablosport Predator.

Picked up my 05 MN6 last week and it came with a Diablosport Predator. It is just using the basic tune now. One of my buddies said something about using the Diablo to download a better tune? Im confused about how this works?

On my truck the tuner would just send me a new computer and Id send him the old one back.

On the c6 do I need the diablo and a tune done by a tuner? Or can I just remove the diablo tune, sell it and get a real tune? Im willing to travel to get a dyno tune.

Oh I also read that the SLP 3 tune is great. Can I download that tune to the programmer?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:57 PM
SunsetStroker
Burning Brakes

Its a U7191 if that helps.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:33 PM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can download different predator tune files that cater to certain types of mods. Diablosport sends people custom tune files as well. You may or may not have to pay. Also there are some tuners that use the tuning software that the predator uses, but with much more adjustability than you have with the handheld unit. They also can dynotune your car in person and load the tune into the Predator so you still have the ability to return the car to stock inside your garage.

Of course if you want you can also return the car to stock, sell the Predator and get a dyno tune done by someone that uses different tuning software.

I don't know if you can get the SLP tunes as SLP markets their own version of the Predator and wants you to pay for their tool to get the tunes.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:02 AM
SunsetStroker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rfopt
You can download different predator tune files that cater to certain types of mods. Diablosport sends people custom tune files as well. You may or may not have to pay. Also there are some tuners that use the tuning software that the predator uses, but with much more adjustability than you have with the handheld unit. They also can dynotune your car in person and load the tune into the Predator so you still have the ability to return the car to stock inside your garage.

Of course if you want you can also return the car to stock, sell the Predator and get a dyno tune done by someone that uses different tuning software.

I don't know if you can get the SLP tunes as SLP markets their own version of the Predator and wants you to pay for their tool to get the tunes.
Wow informative post. Thank you!
Old 05-26-2008, 08:32 AM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

there are no downloadable tunes available for the predators - SLP or Diablosport versions... there is no tune file "repository" like on hptuners site...

the only tunes you have the option of using are the ones included in the predator (via revision updates), or a custom tune.

the SLP tunes are specific to SLP version Predators and can not be loaded onto a regular diablosport predator.

if you have mild mods, such as headers, then the guys at diablosport can create you a custom tune (for free) that you can import to your predator and then install into your car. Some of the newer revisions/updates already have diablosport canned tunes in them that have header adjustments made to them already. It depends on the predator model and vehicle.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 05-26-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:10 AM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
there are no downloadable tunes available for the predators - SLP or Diablosport versions... there is no tune file "repository" like on hptuners site...

the only tunes you have the option of using are the ones included in the predator (via revision updates), or a custom tune.

the SLP tunes are specific to SLP version Predators and can not be loaded onto a regular diablosport predator.

if you have mild mods, such as headers, then the guys at diablosport can create you a custom tune (for free) that you can import to your predator and then install into your car. Some of the newer revisions/updates already have diablosport canned tunes in them that have header adjustments made to them already. It depends on the predator model and vehicle.
Sorry for the confusion. I was using the word "download" to mean importing a file(file sent from a tuner) into the Predator.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 PM
jrpedraza
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that if you want to sell the Predator, you'll have to return the stock tune from the predator back to the car, otherwise the person you sell the Predator to will not be able to use it. This is one thing that I really do not like if it's my device I should be able to use it on multiple vehicles.

The Predator is a good diagnostic and learning tool, but to really optimize the efficiency of your car, I don't think you could beat a professional tune from a tuner that uses professional tools.

JR
Old 06-03-2008, 12:29 AM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default How can I check if Predator can be used on another C6??

Originally Posted by jrpedraza
One thing to keep in mind is that if you want to sell the Predator, you'll have to return the stock tune from the predator back to the car, otherwise the person you sell the Predator to will not be able to use it.

JR
Can you elaborate a little further. There's a local chap that wants to sell me his U9174 (C6 2007 ). He says and it looks brand new. I read thru the manual and on the back side of the front cover it mentions the Predator "marries" to the car being used for the first time. It later talks about the Predator taking in the stock tune from the car.

So if the Predator was'nt used to download a performance tune and the guy said he only used it for diagnotics can I use it and HOW can I check if it's OK to use on another C6??? Is there a way of checking?????

thanks for any insight!!!!

Frank
Old 06-03-2008, 08:26 PM
jrpedraza
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frankmp
So if the Predator was'nt used to download a performance tune and the guy said he only used it for diagnotics can I use it and HOW can I check if it's OK to use on another C6??? Is there a way of checking?????

thanks for any insight!!!!

Frank
I don't want to lead you astray so I will refrain from posting what I think... but, you should post this question on the diablosport forum, I'm sure you'll get an accurate answer from Mike Litsch of Diablosport, or email or call him directly.

On a new Predator, it 'marries' to the car when the stock tune is saved to the device; until that tune is 'returned' to the car, the device is still locked and cannot be used on any other vehicles (this ensures that you do not tune other vehicles while only buying one device). I don't know if it's only used for diagnostics if it is still locked, I would think not but cannot say for sure.

In my opinion, the Predator is a good starter device and will provide you with the opportunity and resources to learn about tuning; there is however no comparison to a professional tune. Keep in mind though that all tuners are not equal.

JR

Last edited by jrpedraza; 06-03-2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: incomplete post
Old 06-03-2008, 11:58 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jrpedraza
I don't want to lead you astray
JR
You have PM

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about Diablosport Predator.

Quick Reply: Questions about Diablosport Predator.