Notices
C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted C6 Corvette Performance Parts, OEM, Aftermarket, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements

Targa top wind deflector

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:24 PM
rslovak
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Targa top wind deflector

Hello,
I am a new (used 2008) vette owner. I just wanted to say that I love taking the targa top off, but as with most cars the wind noise and turbulence is too much if you have some one in the car.
I bought a wind deflector off eBay and it made a nice difference with the wind in that passenger compartment and the buffeting sound. I also don't have to turn the radio up near as high.
I just figured others might enjoy my find. It was about 40.00 and is way too easy to even need and directions.
If you are interested search eBay for C6 wind deflector. One of the best things I have added yet!
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2013, 01:36 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

How is it held in place?

Do you happen to have the item number or the seller?
I couldn't find it.
Even a link to it would be nice.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:39 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

What happens to it when you put the top back on? Is it snap on snap off or something?
Old 11-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rslovak
Hello,
I am a new (used 2008) vette owner. I just wanted to say that I love taking the targa top off, but as with most cars the wind noise and turbulence is too much if you have some one in the car.
I bought a wind deflector off eBay and it made a nice difference with the wind in that passenger compartment and the buffeting sound. I also don't have to turn the radio up near as high.
I just figured others might enjoy my find. It was about 40.00 and is way too easy to even need and directions.
If you are interested search eBay for C6 wind deflector. One of the best things I have added yet!

His first and only post, who wants to bet that the OP is the vendor on eBay?
Old 11-16-2013, 02:26 PM
ZimC6
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

delete

Last edited by ZimC6; 11-16-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:44 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds good in theory, but I somehow doubt that it would stay in place at highway speeds if only held in place by the trim piece.
It's hard to hold your hand out the window without it being pushed back, so how can this piece stay in place.
Maybe the Op should get us a video of how great this is.
May have to try a piece of acrylic to try this theory out
Old 11-16-2013, 09:01 PM
MTc6
8th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

I bought windjammers from Davies Corvette for my 81 and 06. I had to adjust the angle on the 06 and made it stand up straighter as I am 6'-2" . Both fasten through the holes from the original top. Works great and you can have a conversation at 80 mph.The 06 was $180 but well worth it.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Pittcorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Info

I am new and I am not the vendor, I have bought lots of items on eBay but never sold them. I will try to record a video for you. It is held in place by the trim. I have only had it about a week and love it. It is notched out around the front mounts to slide down into the trim.
I didn't know it was okay to post links...

I appreciate your presumptuously negative attitude that I am trying to make money off this, but you would be wrong in this case. Hope you have a great day Sir or Ma'am.

Welcome to the forum. Have fast have u driven with it on? I am interested in purchasing one. Also a closer look on how it latches on. Does it secure using the lock handles?

Last edited by Vette_DD; 01-04-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:31 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

yeah.. I'm very interested in how it mounts and how you store it when you reinstall the targa. I had already looked at this item about a week ago on eBay but didn't see anything on the forum about them.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:31 PM
rslovak
Cruising

Originally Posted by Pittcorvette
Welcome to the forum. Have fast have u driven with it on? I am interested in purchasing one. Also a closer look on how it latches on. Does it secure using the lock handles?

Thank you, only been to highway speed 70-75. It does not use the handles. It's actually cut to go over them. The only thing that I could think that would be more useful to help it stay in place would be some Velcro stuck inside the trim and on the deflector.
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2013, 02:33 PM
rslovak
Cruising

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
yeah.. I'm very interested in how it mounts and how you store it when you reinstall the targa. I had already looked at this item about a week ago on eBay but didn't see anything on the forum about them.
I stored it right behind the lip of the waterfall area. It sit against it out of the way.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:24 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you, only been to highway speed 70-75. It does not use the handles. It's actually cut to go over them. The only thing that I could think that would be more useful to help it stay in place would be some Velcro stuck inside the trim and on the deflector.
Thanks for the update. If you had it on doing 70-75, then I'm convinced that it will do the job OK.
I guess it would be possible to modify the deflector by attaching a pin on both sides that would slide in the targa insertion holes, thus making it a bit more secure.

I just may purchase one of these
Old 11-17-2013, 06:27 PM
rslovak
Cruising

Default Update

Okay since y'all asked and it has been a great day to drive I drove 85 for a ways and it stayed on great. For those of you wanting to know the magic number and so did I. I got to 112 before the pressure pushed it into the car with me. So highway speeds should not be any problem on a long basis.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Okay since y'all asked and it has been a great day to drive I drove 85 for a ways and it stayed on great. For those of you wanting to know the magic number and so did I. I got to 112 before the pressure pushed it into the car with me. So highway speeds should not be any problem on a long basis.
so...it actually came out of its holding position after getting the speed up to ~110?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:43 PM
rslovak
Cruising

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
so...it actually came out of its holding position after getting the speed up to ~110?

Yes, it did. I was trying to make it, and beyond the driving wind it was pretty windy. As soon as it came in I immediately noticed the air flow change. I don't know how many times or why I would need it at 110 but I might try some Velcro inside the trim and see if it stays. I will update in a few days when I do that..
Old 11-18-2013, 12:05 AM
drjdog5150
Instructor

I just bought it, will post up a detailed review upon arrival!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:47 PM
drjdog5150
Instructor

Ok, finally had a chance to try this out the other day. I drove 14 miles on I-10 and set the cruise at 82 mph, to me it did not make any improvement in the wind noise, it seemed to make a buffeting sound. At mile 13 it started to come out of the trim, so I had to hold it and pull off the interstate.

Today was another perfect 74 degree day here in AZ so I tried it out again. Same 14 mile stretch of road with cruise set at 81 today (lots of cops out). This time it completely flew out and hit me in the forehead not more then 2 miles into the drive! Not something I will ever use again and will be contacting the manufacture requesting a refund. I'm not a fan of things flying into my face while driving, especially at highway speeds. I am just glad it didn't hit me in the eye or cause me to wreck...that would probably be a lawsuit to the manufacture.

Here are some pictures of it installed. If you have any questions that I might not have covered please feel free to ask.

Thanks for reading, and please don't buy this product its dangerous!
Jason

Get notified of new replies

To Targa top wind deflector

Old 01-02-2014, 08:07 PM
arp35
Instructor

I bet you could put some Velcro strips on it so it couldn't pull out. You could also drill through the trim piece and the part then slide a wood dowel or push pin through it to hold it in place. But really is probably not worth it unless it was really awesome. I bet you could just drill some small holes in the deflector and use zip ties to hold it in place when you want to use it. Then just cut the zip ties and throw them away when you were done.lol

Last edited by arp35; 01-02-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:06 PM
drjdog5150
Instructor

Originally Posted by arp35
I bet you could put some Velcro strips on it so it couldn't pull out. You could also drill through the trim piece and the part then slide a wood dowel or push pin through it to hold it in place. But really is probably not worth it unless it was really awesome. I bet you could just drill some small holes in the deflector and use zip ties to hold it in place when you want to use it. Then just cut the zip ties and throw them away when you were done.

That's classic! Love me some zip ties lol

Just a note, I also contact the seller on eBay right after writing this post and told him the story, also asked for him to refund my money and to please mention that it can fly out. Right away I received a full refund and this response;

Sorry to hear you had a problem. It has been tested to 90+ mph so I can't explain why it did not work for you. Was it installed as far down as it would go? I will issue a refund.....and do some further testing. A slightly deeper design may be required. Also, I have cautioned the ad that it is not intended for use at speeds above the posted limit.
Glad to see he mentioned something in the ad, and very impressed with the short time in responding to me.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:31 AM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone try the new one yet?

Quick Reply: Targa top wind deflector