Notices
C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted C6 Corvette Performance Parts, OEM, Aftermarket, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements

WTB: Steering Wheel and parts to swap from 05 manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 PM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default WTB: Steering Wheel and parts to swap from 05 manual

Wanting to go to a 2011 or 2012 Steering wheel with audio controls.

Need the clock spring, wheel, and airbag.

I have a manual 05 car.

Also looking for a corner mount 10in sub box. I will buy new if needed, but used is preferred.

Tried emailing some of the vendors here, the response was not what I expected.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:30 PM
turbo2001
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default steering wheel swap

hey bud, just picked my car up from the steelership after telling them exackly what i was doing the day prior they quoted me 197.00 to do the swap from the 05 to the 06, i provided all the parts and showed them to the tech. he replied with a smirk and no problem for him, got a call the next day, at the end of the buisness day to come pick my car up, that the parts provided are not compatible which we new this it's from an 06 right so he said the issue was the clock spring and that the computer would not talk to the part meaning the airbag would probably not deploy or wrong connector and they could not be responsible liability wise, so why wasn't i told this the day before. i was so mad cause they still billed me 96.00 dollars for the hour spent on the car so please let me know if you complete this swap with what parts work for you. the part's i got came off an 06 z from a forum member, i believe matt said audio controls were on the car but it woudn't effect the install so once again sorry for the long post but i'm getting frustrated with this.. thank's joe
Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I am by no means a mechanic, but lots of people on the forum have put 06 steering wheels on 05s. Radio controls maybe an issue, but with the correct parts, it should all work.

I would do a search.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 PM
turbo2001
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by timd38
I am by no means a mechanic, but lots of people on the forum have put 06 steering wheels on 05s. Radio controls maybe an issue, but with the correct parts, it should all work.

I would do a search.
yes sir tim i understand that the thing with all the threads there not specific which parts were used to make it work maybe part #s, and there was alson mention from the dealership that it would have to be recalibrated? I don't know enough to tackle it myself un less the correct parts were in hand. thank's for the input and don't mean to hijack your thread but maybe we can work together on this as i have an 05 manual also
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 PM
johnbriganti
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default swap

I just swapped my 05 to an o6 zo6 clockspring and a steering wheel from an 07 z51 no radio controls and it was all plug and play with no issues. There is a thread here with pics which goes step by step and even tells you what tools to use. I did it under 45 minutes because the pushsprings on the 05 are tricky. I had a guy just offered me a clockspring for 50 bucks shipped but i already had bought one. Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM
turbo2001
Burning Brakes

and the airbag yr irrelevant sir all three spoke airbags will work with an 06 clock spring, also how about the module behind the radio?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:52 AM
jjas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changed my 05 to 06 steering. Had no issues. My recommendation is to buy a new steering wheel and clock spring. Not that much more expensive than getting them used. U know exactly what u have. I got mine used off the forum ended up having to buy new. Please do it this way if u want no issues.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB: Steering Wheel and parts to swap from 05 manual

Quick Reply: WTB: Steering Wheel and parts to swap from 05 manual