C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which LS3 exhaust manifold for boost??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 01:39 PM
Summerkruse13
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Which LS3 exhaust manifold for boost??

I have new Corvette LS3 exhaust manifold and can use the 2 bolt flange. Wondering if those are good enough for 30+ boost. Or I can get truck manfolds and weld a v band on them? Any thoughts?

Last edited by Summerkruse13; 02-14-2024 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:22 AM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 315 Likes on 221 Posts

Idk a ton about FI but it sounds like you are talking about a turbo set up so my question is, wouldn't the 30lbs be after the turbos? In that case what's the difference?
Old 02-14-2024, 11:15 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

I think we need a few more details on your planned build before suggestions can be made.
Old 02-14-2024, 11:30 AM
Summerkruse13
Racer

Originally Posted by mn_vette
I think we need a few more details on your planned build before suggestions can be made.
What do you need to know? Just asking if the 2 bolt flange on the manifold can hold 30 plus P. SI or will at leak, and I'd be better off going to a vband clamp. Seems like a simple question.
Old 02-14-2024, 03:24 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,343 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Summerkruse13
What do you need to know? Just asking if the 2 bolt flange on the manifold can hold 30 plus P. SI or will at leak, and I'd be better off going to a vband clamp. Seems like a simple question.
You're not going to have 30psi there unless you have some SERIOUS restriction in your exhaust. I think that's what tektrans was getting at. I'm sure there's a little pressure between the ex manifolds and the turbo(s), but it shouldn't be near that much. Pressure there and boost pressure are two completely different things.
Old 02-14-2024, 03:58 PM
Summerkruse13
Racer

Originally Posted by old motorhead
You're not going to have 30psi there unless you have some SERIOUS restriction in your exhaust. I think that's what tektrans was getting at. I'm sure there's a little pressure between the ex manifolds and the turbo(s), but it shouldn't be near that much. Pressure there and boost pressure are two completely different things.
Umm, yes you are! Boost is psi. Psi is the measurable unit of boost. Between the engine and turbo it is also called back pressure, measured in Psi, Kpa, etc. I see 30 plus psi in the exhaust side every time I drive it. In fact more.. Sorry but you both sound very out of your realm. Is my question that hard?? Just asking if the manifold will hold up at the 2 bolt flange.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:47 PM
MRSUPRA
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 02-15-2024, 10:32 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Umm, yes you are! Boost is psi. Psi is the measurable unit of boost. Between the engine and turbo it is also called back pressure, measured in Psi, Kpa, etc. I see 30 plus psi in the exhaust side every time I drive it. In fact more.. Sorry but you both sound very out of your realm. Is my question that hard?? Just asking if the manifold will hold up at the 2 bolt flange.
Reading the original post there isn't much details in there. There is no mention of a turbo, so I didn't want to make an assumption. Also "30+ boost" can also be taken in multiple ways. My initial thought was 30psi intake pressure, but in your other post it seems that you are talking about turbo backpressure. It just helps to be specific to help us understand the exact question.

The 2-bolt flange will hold back pressure fairly well with the gasket. I would worry more about the physical setup in the vehicle and what works best for that. If you are doing a max effort vehicle I would suggest looking into doing custom headers that will get you the best velocity in the exhaust.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:52 AM
Creamo3
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Can you cutoff the 2-bolt flange on the LS3 and weld a v-band flange to it? A 2-bolt flange with a flat gasket is less than ideal unless there's some sort of lip between the manifold and up-pipe/cross over to the turbo. I'm not sure if you're planning a big single or twins, but make sure wastegate priority is good and fit as large a wastegate/s that you can to help with backpressure and boost creep.
The following users liked this post:
Summerkruse13 (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 07:35 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 315 Likes on 221 Posts

Or I can get truck manifolds and weld a v band on them? Any thoughts?
You asked for any thoughts, so people are giving you thoughts, lol
Then saying "seems like a simple question"
I may be out of my realm, meaning I don't have any idea and that's fine if you must point out what I pointed out at the onset but I do know that I wouldn't put 30+ psi through a 2 bolt connection. Granted I didn't know it see's that much before the turbo but still, sounds like YOU should know better.
Hey everyone, no one needs v bands anymore-those LS3 2 bolt flanges are the ****!!

Old 02-16-2024, 08:30 PM
Summerkruse13
Racer

Originally Posted by Creamo3
Can you cutoff the 2-bolt flange on the LS3 and weld a v-band flange to it? A 2-bolt flange with a flat gasket is less than ideal unless there's some sort of lip between the manifold and up-pipe/cross over to the turbo. I'm not sure if you're planning a big single or twins, but make sure wastegate priority is good and fit as large a wastegate/s that you can to help with backpressure and boost creep.
And this was the thoughts/response I was looking for, thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Creamo3 (02-16-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Which LS3 exhaust manifold for boost??

Quick Reply: Which LS3 exhaust manifold for boost??