C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS E85 Stage 1 - Low Fuel Pressure @6100 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 08:00 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default ECS E85 Stage 1 - Low Fuel Pressure @6100 rpm

06 - LS2 - 700 RWHP - VMAX Ported TB - Eforce SC with 2.75" pulley - 10 lbs of Boost @6100rpm - ID 1050X Injectors - DSX E85 Flex Fuel Kit - PRC 225cc As Cast Heads - TSP 227/234 114 LSA Blower Cam - 1.7 Roller Rockers - Johnson 2115LSR Lifters - Kooks Long Tubes with Corsa Sports - Alkey Control Systems Meth Injection - KB Boost-A-Pump - ECS Stage 1 E85 Fuel System and more:

In the spring of 2021 I installed the ECS Stage 1 E85 Fuel System and discontinued use of the KB BAP and Alkey Control Meth injection. Always experienced a drop in Fuel Pressure at RPM's beyond 6,100 rpm with a linear decline in pressure and AFR going lean. My proposed solution is as follows: Run a dedicated -6AN fuel line from the A1000 Aeromotive fuel pump the the passenger side fuel rail through a FPR set at 58 lbs and re-establish the dedicated OEM fuel line to the drivers side fuel rail. Also, I will re-establish use of the KB Boost-A-Pump. I believe by establishing two seperate fuel lines to the fuel rails which are connected via a crossover fuel line, will perhaps eliminate the loss of fuel pressure at high load/rpm. Adding back the KB Boost-A-Pump will certainly help. Loss of fuel pressure beyond 6,100 rpm ranges from 60 lbs down to 40 lbs, going lean from .78 lambda to 1.03 lambda. Have never experienced any KR in this area but that may not be significant. I will also return to using my Alkey Control Meth Injection system. With these changes, I believe I will eliminate my FP problems beyond 6,100 rpm. I may also send my Aeromotive A1000 in for testing to insure it is operating at full potential.

I have discussed my fuel delivery issues with Chris of ECS and the consensus is that I have reached the fuel delivery capacity of the ECS system. If I keep everything under 6,100 rpm I am good. Yea, that ain't happening. The need for speed goes beyond 6,100 rpm. Car is put up for winter as it is snowing as I write this thread. I have other winter projects planned. The fuel system modification is number 1 on my winter project list. Will also be adding FI Blower Spacer Plates, 10mm shorter motor mounts and Thermal Blanket under the EForce SC. I may also add Lingenfelter's subframe spacer kit for another 10mm of space for the Supercharger and FI Spacer Plates.

I installed PNR's 7.5 gal Ice Tank this past winter in the hopes that it would eliminate my high IAT issues. While it certainly helped, it did not help as much as I was looking for so adding the FI Spacer Plates and Thermal Blanket should serve as icing on the cake.

Old 10-30-2023, 09:12 AM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

I don’t believe you are out of that fuel system. I have the same ECS E85 kit with 1050x injector. I’m at 750wheel at 11psi through a heartbeat blower. Something else is going on… keep looking
Old 10-31-2023, 03:05 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

As ls1wolf questioned, I shouldn't have exhausted the fuel system. Aeromotive tech support does not believe the fuel pump is at issue because it works just fine up to 6,100 rpm. They believe if the pump were bad, it would fail much earlier than 6,100 rpm. I plan to eliminate the fuel lines as a restriction by running two fuel feeds, the OEM 3/8" hard line fuel feed to the drivers side fuel rail and a 3/8" fuel line from the A1000 to the passenger side fuel rail. The stock OEM in tank fuel pump seems to work just fine with no drop in pressure under normal driving conditions. Adding back the BAP into the configuration should eliminate any drop in fuel pressure. If this doesn't fix the problem I will adding a new in tank fuel pump.
Old 10-31-2023, 05:57 PM
m60gov20
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 101 Posts

How are you activating the A1000? Have you verified it's coming on like it should? I'd try jumping the Hobbs switch and log a run and see what happens. Also the A1000 is not recommended for use with a boost a pump. I'm making north of 800 wheel with that same set up on e85 and not running out of pump. I have bigger injectors though.
Old 10-31-2023, 09:41 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Immediately following installation of the ECS Fuel system and my first trip to the Dyno, fuel pressure at higher rpm's was an issue. To work around this I placed the fuel system on a switch so I could manually operate the A1000 and not rely totally on the Hobbs Switch. I operate the switch, turning on the A1000, prior to launch and turn it off at the end of the 1/4 mile. The Hobbs switch works as it should but by turning on the pump on early, before launch or before a Dyno pull, this helps eliminate or reduce the impact of low fuel pressure at higher rpms. The better the air (DA) the more noticable the fuel pressure drop. When the DA is at or near 9,000 feet I do not see a problem but when the DA drops to around 7,000 feet the fuel pressure drop is very noticable (60 lbs to 40 lbs).

I will probably pull the ECS E85 fuel block just to verify there is no restriction there or with the fuel block sock. Aeromotive suggested I pull the sock off and add a filter (100) prior to the pump.

I would prefer not to run a BAP but I can't really see where that will be a problem. I plan to run an Aeromotive FPR set to 58 lbs with a return back to the ECS fuel block. The A1000 and KB Boost-A-Pump will be on seperate circuits. The only time the BAP or A1000 will operate is upon WOT as I generally only drive the car to the track and home keeping it below 4 lbs of boost and the operating parameters of the BAP and A1000.

I shouldn't be having any problems. There are many operating beyond my HP with great success. I am just going to do everything I can to avoid dropping the tanks knowing that there are many with the ECS fuel system making 800 or more at the wheels.
Old 10-31-2023, 10:18 PM
rajahhindi
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

What pressure switch/hobbs switch are you running to activate the Ecs pump? As far as i know, the Ecs pressure switch is n/c and opens at
a set pressure to activate the pump. Other pressure switches are n/o and close under a set pressure to activate the pump. Easily checked
by removing your rear wheel and inner linner. Check for voltage at the ECS pump before you bridge out the pressure switch. If you have voltage there,
you have the wrong hobbs/pressure switch contact configuration! Then bridge the switch after and check voltage. I see you have a BAP before? Did you have a pressure switch from racetronix for it?
Old 10-31-2023, 10:35 PM
rajahhindi
Racer

Originally Posted by rajahhindi
What pressure switch/hobbs switch are you running to activate the Ecs pump? As far as i know, the Ecs pressure switch is n/c and opens at
a set pressure to activate the pump. Other pressure switches are n/o and close under a set pressure to activate the pump. Easily checked
by removing your rear wheel and inner linner. Check for voltage at the ECS pump before you bridge out the pressure switch. If you have voltage there,
you have the wrong hobbs/pressure switch contact configuration! Then bridge the switch after and check voltage. I see you have a BAP before? Did you have a pressure switch from racetronix for it?
What this would mean, your secondary Ecs pump would be running all of the time until you hit the pressure switch boost point and turn it off.
Then relying only on your in tank pump after. Just a guess!
Old 11-01-2023, 09:59 AM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

No issues with the Hobbs. It works as it should. The problem is when both pumps are operating (A1000 and OEM in tank) fuel pressure drops at 6,100 rpm from 60 lbs to a low of 40 lbs at 6,600 rpm.

Last edited by jxhunte; 11-01-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:19 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Originally Posted by jxhunte
No issues with the Hobbs. It works as it should. The problem is when both pumps are operating (A1000 and OEM in tank) fuel pressure drops at 6,100 rpm from 60 lbs to a low of 40 lbs at 6,600 rpm.
How do you know the 2 pumps are running at higher revs? Unless you have a voltmeter and feedback from them,
you do not know! And then that does not prove they are pumping fuel! Seems like you are guessing!

Last edited by rajahhindi; 11-02-2023 at 12:31 AM. Reason: raj
Old 11-02-2023, 05:18 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

I data log all my 1/4 mile passes. The A1000 fuel pump operates via the Hobbs or my by-pass switch. At the track, I do not rely on the Hobbs switch, I operate the by-pass switch, turning on the A1000. Once the A1000 switch is operated, fuel pressure jumps from 60 lbs to 70 lbs. At launch, fuel pressure will drop from 70 lbs, hovering just beyond 60 lbs, maintaining this pressure until it begins to degrade, dropping below 60 lbs at 6,100 rpm to a low of 40 lbs at 6,600 rpm. If the pumps were to stop operating, fuel pressure would drop to zero. Immediately upon lifting off the throttle at the end of the 1/4 mile, fuel pressure returns to 70 lbs. The by-pass switch removes the Hobbs switch from the equation. Boost continues to build eliminating belt slip. The better the air, the greater the fuel demand, the more evident the drop in fuel pressure. With DA's at or above 9,000 feet the drop in fuel pressure is negligable.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:09 PM
rajahhindi
Racer

Originally Posted by jxhunte
I data log all my 1/4 mile passes. The A1000 fuel pump operates via the Hobbs or my by-pass switch. At the track, I do not rely on the Hobbs switch, I operate the by-pass switch, turning on the A1000. Once the A1000 switch is operated, fuel pressure jumps from 60 lbs to 70 lbs. At launch, fuel pressure will drop from 70 lbs, hovering just beyond 60 lbs, maintaining this pressure until it begins to degrade, dropping below 60 lbs at 6,100 rpm to a low of 40 lbs at 6,600 rpm. If the pumps were to stop operating, fuel pressure would drop to zero. Immediately upon lifting off the throttle at the end of the 1/4 mile, fuel pressure returns to 70 lbs. The by-pass switch removes the Hobbs switch from the equation. Boost continues to build eliminating belt slip. The better the air, the greater the fuel demand, the more evident the drop in fuel pressure. With DA's at or above 9,000 feet the drop in fuel pressure is negligable.
OK Man, no worries. You have a fuel problem above my experience. I'm sure you will work it out!
Old 11-20-2023, 06:09 PM
streetking408ys
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a customer with 700rwhp Magnuson LS2 (2005) on 93 octane with a LS7 in tank pump, Racetronix wire harnesses for fuel pump, ECS Stage 1 (not E85) 2ndary pump, 1050X injectors, Fuel rails that came with the Magnuson, Alky control single M15 nozzle. No fuel pressure issues all the way to a 7,200 rpm limiter. I thought Ive read in the past that the OE pump doesn't play well with Ethanol. I have a set of FI Interchiller cathedral spacer plates if you're looking.

Last edited by streetking408ys; 11-20-2023 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:33 AM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Just to ask…I’m not a guru but just brainstorming. Is your bypass switch wiring making the Hobbs switch actually turn off the pump when it triggers? Easy way to know is if you don’t use the bypass switch…get same fuel psi fall off result that way?
Old 11-22-2023, 12:38 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Did you get this resolved? This is a tough one to diagnose remotely other than to say you should have more than enough fuel pressure with your set up. I know no one likes to hear the manufacturer not blame themselves, but the fuel system hasn't really changed in 15 years and you should have plenty of fuel pressure. If there's anything I can help with or help diagnose with you, feel free to message me or email the shop.
Old 01-05-2024, 03:12 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Doug @ ECS - I have not resolved the fuel pressure issue but currently in the process of ordering parts for fuel system changes as explained earlier in this thread. Car is stored for winter. I will be making a few changes/upgrades this winter and won't know the result of these changes until spring (April/May depending on the weather). E-Force spacer plates, AMT motor mounts, Lingenfelter subrame spacer kit, ECS fuel system modifications and relocating the transmission cooler on tap for my winter projects.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (01-05-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To ECS E85 Stage 1 - Low Fuel Pressure @6100 rpm

Quick Reply: ECS E85 Stage 1 - Low Fuel Pressure @6100 rpm