C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 C6 LS3 twin turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 07:58 PM
Samz.K
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

demolition started a few days ago, getting ready to pull the motor out. got everything out of the way and tonight most likely pulling the engine out

Tonight I should be able to pull the motor out and hopefully get fenders and 1/4 panels off too
Old 12-16-2022, 07:59 PM
Samz.K
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dayman
Sweet, looking forward to hopefully seeing it ripping around the street or track come spring
Thank you! It will be driven hard daily once it's done lol
The following users liked this post:
Dayman (12-24-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 10:19 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

You didn't post any pics of new turbos so I'm guessing you didn't get them yet. Ideally you would want to choose your turbo based on the compressor map and the boost goals of the engine. Then if you want it to spool faster or slower you can change the A/R of the turbine housing to match that. I don't think the 72mm would be too big from a compressor size, but you can check the compressor map. If you think they will take too long to spool you can change the turbine housing to help with that. Should be much cheaper than getting a new pair of turbos. Unless there is some other reason you want different turbos, upgrading to ball bearings or what now.
Old 12-24-2022, 06:20 PM
Samz.K
Instructor

Originally Posted by mn_vette
You didn't post any pics of new turbos so I'm guessing you didn't get them yet. Ideally you would want to choose your turbo based on the compressor map and the boost goals of the engine. Then if you want it to spool faster or slower you can change the A/R of the turbine housing to match that. I don't think the 72mm would be too big from a compressor size, but you can check the compressor map. If you think they will take too long to spool you can change the turbine housing to help with that. Should be much cheaper than getting a new pair of turbos. Unless there is some other reason you want different turbos, upgrading to ball bearings or what now.

I did already a while back. I got two 6862 T4 0.82A/R

However I still have the option to return them and go twin 6262, same AR

Old 01-01-2023, 07:56 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I think you will be really happy with those turbos They will put out all the spank you can manage
Old 01-01-2023, 11:04 PM
Samz.K
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I think you will be really happy with those turbos They will put out all the spank you can manage
are you referring to the 6862 or 6262?
Old 01-03-2023, 01:22 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Old 01-03-2023, 02:53 PM
Samz.K
Instructor

Now that Christmas is over and I have a few days away from work, I have more time in the garage.

Managed to pull the motor out over the weekend.

My ZR6X kit is finally in Canada. Should be delivered tomorrow or day after! Can not wait lol

Next would be dropping the motor off at the shop for some work, and start removing body panels to test fit the kit
Bluewheelz (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 04:13 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Samz.K
are you referring to the 6862 or 6262?
I think the 6262 would make well over 1000 hp which would be a challenge to hook up

the 6862 might be good for another 100 horse or so

spooling quicker gets you into the meat of the torq curve and as long as you stay in the sweet spot of the turbo map you will do fine

800 is a walk in the park for either choice. Not sure I'd send the big boys back if you are willing to use them.
Old 01-08-2023, 03:45 AM
Samz.K
Instructor

Slow progress but getting there.
Dropped off the motor yesterday at the shop for some minor work. Meanwhile starting on some bodywork while the engine is away.

The rear panel fitted near perfect straight out of the box, very minor adjustment needed.

​​​​​​​

The front wasn’t as easy, around the headlight it decent, however next to the door I’m having hard time getting it 100%. Now aftermarket panels will never fit 100%, but I’m trying to get it as close as possible.

The following 2 users liked this post by Samz.K:
Bluewheelz (01-08-2023), scottg (01-09-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 03:12 AM
Samz.K
Instructor

Progress is slow but steady.

Dropping the rear end to install my Fore L4 dual pump fuel system. I expected this to be way worse than what it was. It wasn’t hard, just more annoying and time consuming than anything.

Having a floor jack crossbeam similar to this makes this job 10 times easier.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-24833

Noticed a bit of sweating between the tranny and diff, so I’ll be taking this apart to get it resealed. I might do some upgrades on the 1-2 and 2-3 synchros as well, still not sure.

After dropping the rear end, it was time to drop the fuel tanks. I dunno how people do this without having the transmission out. The crossover tube was a total PITA to remove even with the drivetrain out, I’m so glad I decided to spend the extra time and drop the whole thing down.

After a bit of cleaning, I started with the passenger side since all I have to do is change OE regulator with the supplied bypass plug.

​​​​​​​
Bluewheelz (02-10-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 02:37 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

this may be preference, but I'd prefer more turbine if I was on a 6.3
I run a 10.5:1, 6.0L, I run 6266s .81a/r, and it's good sweet spot for a street. I feel it'll be even better on a LS3.
LS3 make a lot of mid range torque, and you end up having to tame them so it can hook. I feel with your turbo choice with the 62 turbine, it'll be somewhat of a handful. I don't think I saw the goal of your end build, what is it?

might be able to ****** some info off my build. my incentive is to build a street car that puts power down on 18s.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rbo-build.html
Old 02-13-2023, 05:55 PM
Samz.K
Instructor

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
this may be preference, but I'd prefer more turbine if I was on a 6.3
I run a 10.5:1, 6.0L, I run 6266s .81a/r, and it's good sweet spot for a street. I feel it'll be even better on a LS3.
LS3 make a lot of mid range torque, and you end up having to tame them so it can hook. I feel with your turbo choice with the 62 turbine, it'll be somewhat of a handful. I don't think I saw the goal of your end build, what is it?

might be able to ****** some info off my build. my incentive is to build a street car that puts power down on 18s.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rbo-build.html
Not really sure what my goal is anymore as this went from a simple boosted C6 now to a somewhat built bottom end with everything to handle 1000+whp lol

Its more of a weekend fun car with some drag track days, I'm hoping
I sold the Pulsar 6862 turbos I had above 2 days ago and I'll be going with the turbo that UPP sells. Main reason I sold them is they aren't a "direct bolt on" to the kit and would need some fabrication, which I really dont feel like deal with at the moment.

So I decided to go with UPP 6182R turbos which is pretty much a Garrett GT3582R knockoff, pretty much a 6162 turbo

I'll definitely check your thread up, the majority of the boosted LS's I found are either supercharged or single turbo, Any info on twins are a win win

Rear tires are 345/30/19s and I will be having a set of 17s for drag days.
FourG63 97GST (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 08:25 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Samz.K
Not really sure what my goal is anymore as this went from a simple boosted C6 now to a somewhat built bottom end with everything to handle 1000+whp lol

Its more of a weekend fun car with some drag track days, I'm hoping
I sold the Pulsar 6862 turbos I had above 2 days ago and I'll be going with the turbo that UPP sells. Main reason I sold them is they aren't a "direct bolt on" to the kit and would need some fabrication, which I really dont feel like deal with at the moment.

So I decided to go with UPP 6182R turbos which is pretty much a Garrett GT3582R knockoff, pretty much a 6162 turbo

I'll definitely check your thread up, the majority of the boosted LS's I found are either supercharged or single turbo, Any info on twins are a win win

Rear tires are 345/30/19s and I will be having a set of 17s for drag days.
Twins packages better in our chassis, if you want to keep amenities and exhaust out the rear.
that setup works though, this a basic 370 build, stockish heads on E

Old 02-15-2023, 02:41 AM
Samz.K
Instructor

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
Twins packages better in our chassis, if you want to keep amenities and exhaust out the rear.
that setup works though, this a basic 370 build, stockish heads on E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TB94Ol4JPA
yeah I saw a few builds making close to a 1000 with the same setup, I’d be happy I think with anything over 800whp
Old 02-15-2023, 02:51 AM
Samz.K
Instructor

So I install my passenger side tank after I finished changing the internal factory regulator. I started working on my driver side tank and just before installing the FORE assembly. I noticed the following.

I was very disappointed and mad, however at the same time I was happy I saw it now and not after assembly everything back together.
Unfortunately FORE wouldn’t do anything about it and I don’t blame them, system been sitting brand new in the box for a while. So I just ordered a new one locally.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:12 AM
Samz.K
Instructor

While waiting on the pump to arrive, I started taking the calipers apart to get them ready for powder coating, I can’t believe the amount of parts that are discontinued from GM for this platform, I mean isn’t the newest C6 less than 10 years old?
I tried calling everywhere for OEM seals and boots for Z06 calipers and most dealers said discontinued. For stuff like brakes I usually like to stick with OEM seals instead of going aftermarket

​​​​​​​all seals and pistons are out, ready to send out for the new color

Also while waiting, I ended up ordering a set of Forged LS3 drop in pistons and rods from Texas speed.

Surprisingly, these showed up before the pump.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 C6 LS3 twin turbo build

Old 04-15-2023, 03:51 PM
Samz.K
Instructor

Been a while, some progress but nothing major. Been slammed with work and not much time in the garage

Plan was to take motor apart to only adjust piston ring gaps. Then decided while we're there lets throw in some TSP forged LS3 drop in pistons and rods, ARP L19 bolts, rod & main bearings.

Of course while being in there I did some preventive maintenance. I did Front and rear seals, water pump, valve covers, pretty much all the gaskets. Although my balancer was fine, I changed the stock harmonic balancer with an aftermarket one along with an ARP bolt, also got a new timing chain. Stock oil pump with shimming.

For the heads Stock LS3 heads are more than fine for my build, I did a BTR stage 2 twin turbo cam, platinum dual spring kit, titanium retainers, BTR pushrods and BTR trunnion kit.
Head gasket upgraded to LS9 gasket along with ARP head bolts.

New Mcleod RXT1200 clutch along with ARP flywheel bolts, I also got a new slave cylinder along with remote bleeding kit

Motor all done now and ready to drop in

Old 04-15-2023, 04:08 PM
Samz.K
Instructor

After dropping the motor, the UPP kit comes with a bracket to push the radiator/AC condenser 2 inches or so forward. While getting that installed I noticed the OEM bracket is cracked.
Dropped that off to get welded.

While waiting on that to be done I spent some time assembling my Z06 brakes. I was able to find AC delco rear caliper rebuild kit, nothing for the front.
I ended up getting Raybestos WK590 seals, they said they should work for these cars. These seals are slightly too think and I could not put the pistons back in. So I ended using my old seals for the front brakes and the back ones got new AC Delco ones. The AC Delco one worked perfectly for the rear with barely any effort.

Love how the color looks in the sun! Can not wait to get my wheels and see how the combo goes together.

After doing that I decided to do some spring cleaning, while doing that I washed the rear cradle with the tranny/diff. I had it out for the fuel system & now I'm waiting on an ECS diff/tranny brace.
I have this acid/wheel cleaner that works super well on wheels and or aluminum. The assembly looked terrible, however after washing it, it looks brand new!

Before

After

My exhaust was stock with a Corsa axle back. Unfortunately the stock 2.5" pipping on the LS3 wont be efficient for my setup. So the Corsa system will be ditched and I decided to run a stock C6 Z06 NPP exhaust. My car originally came with NPP mufflers so now I can reuse that feature again. I also have DashLogic which is kinda cool now knowing I can open/close the valve using the mirror switch
While cleaning the rear cradle, I sprayed the exhaust and rinsed it. It looks brand new!

Old 04-15-2023, 04:13 PM
Samz.K
Instructor

I was excited to start ripping into the UPP box.

Everything is wrapped so nicely and the welds look amazing, I started test fitting the kit before I heat wrap everything.

Turbo tucks in nicely on the driver side. Ended up ditching the Pulsar 6862 turbos and went with the UPP 6182r turbos for ease of installation. The other turbos were bigger and would require some finessing to make them work. These turbos are pretty much a Garrett GT3582R knockoffs. 61mm cold side and 62mm hot side

Things were going too smooth, something I'm not used to. Then this happens

I spoke to UPP and they said stock wheels are tucked in alot, I'm hoping with the coming from setup 19x10 -2 with 285/30/19 it should clear.
If not, I have to see how I can modify the kit to make this work

Last edited by Samz.K; 04-16-2023 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 C6 LS3 twin turbo build