C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D1X LS3 E85 Project- 08' C6

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 11:44 AM
thehulk
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Majin Ultra Ego- D1X LS3 E85 Project- 08' C6

Finally getting my supercharger setup I have always wanted. Talked with Matt over at @21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR and they have my car under the knife. Really excited about this project as I've been chasing 9's for some time now. I think we may have a shot at an 8.99 or better with this project if the transmission holds and a negative DA. But maybe not, my transmission is a big limiting factor. Regardless she's gonna fly!

-Looking forward, I'll most likely have to address the rear differential and axles I'd imagine as well as the 6L80E at some point. (Edit, "at some point" ended up meaning... the day I got the car back lol)

A&A SUPERCHARGER KIT (D1X HEAD UNIT,
50MM RACE BOV, SECONDARY 8-RIB DRIVE
SYSTEM)

INJECTOR DYNAMICS ID1300X ID1700X**

Advice, comments and questions are appreciated.

Last edited by thehulk; 08-26-2022 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:12 PM
Undecided07
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You’re going to like the D1X head unit. Finished doing a built bottom end, E-85 fuel system, & a D1X on my LS2 car a few months back. The car made 855whp on a fairly conservative run to keep the trans alive for at least a little while. I’ve got a loose PI converter & a level 10 4L65E built by RPM. I’m waiting for some cooler weather to get it back to the track & see if she’ll put down the numbers that matter. Good luck with you build, post up progress & results.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:34 PM
thehulk
Racer

Originally Posted by Undecided07
You’re going to like the D1X head unit. Finished doing a built bottom end, E-85 fuel system, & a D1X on my LS2 car a few months back. The car made 855whp on a fairly conservative run to keep the trans alive for at least a little while. I’ve got a loose PI converter & a level 10 4L65E built by RPM. I’m waiting for some cooler weather to get it back to the track & see if she’ll put down the numbers that matter. Good luck with you build, post up progress & results.
Well I don't think I'm going to come close to those numbers. I was told she'll perform at the track a lot better then at the dyno.

Btw, 855whp do you mean RWHP? How many lbs of boost are you making?
Old 07-25-2022, 11:09 PM
Undecided07
Instructor

Yes 855 rwhp, don’t remember torque numbers off hand. Boost was right around 20-21lbs. The tuner stopped timing at 22 degrees, for a max effort deal they normal land around 27-28 degrees on E-85. It’s handful of car with drag radials on the street for sure. I was expecting a little lag down low compared to nitrous, but that hasn’t been the case at all. I kept most of the nitrous system on the car to supplement if needed, kind of a scramble button if you will, but currently I’m just getting reacquainted with the ole’ girl. Let us know how yours comes together, don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:55 AM
thehulk
Racer

Yes 855 rwhp, don’t remember torque numbers off hand. Boost was right around 20-21lbs. The tuner stopped timing at 22 degrees, for a max effort deal they normal land around 27-28 degrees on E-85. It’s handful of car with drag radials on the street for sure. I was expecting a little lag down low compared to nitrous, but that hasn’t been the case at all. I kept most of the nitrous system on the car to supplement if needed, kind of a scramble button if you will, but currently I’m just getting reacquainted with the ole’ girl. Let us know how yours comes together, don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

The white vette who has the 6l80e record is pushing 19lbs of boost and he's hitting 977rwhp. Just trying to understand boost and how it related to poundage and power.

Yours LS2- 855/20= 42.75 HP per lb
6L80E record holder LS2- 977/19= 51.4 HP per lb
Mine LS3- 693/12.5= 55.44 HP per lb

Does this mean when I turn up to 20lbs of boost, I'll stay linear line the HP per lb and can expect big numbers like both examples?

Old 07-26-2022, 11:17 AM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by thehulk
The white vette who has the 6l80e record is pushing 19lbs of boost and he's hitting 977rwhp. Just trying to understand boost and how it related to poundage and power.

Yours LS2- 855/20= 42.75 HP per lb
6L80E record holder LS2- 977/19= 51.4 HP per lb
Mine LS3- 693/12.5= 55.44 HP per lb

Does this mean when I turn up to 20lbs of boost, I'll stay linear line the HP per lb and can expect big numbers like both examples?
Stop chasing boost numbers and trying to understand them as no 2 cars are the same. Boost is just a measure of restriction in the intake at map sensor. Engine displacement, cam, heads, intake, headers, air filter type or any at all, bellmouth, e85/pump gas, meth or not, all those things can affect the boost number.

And the 6L80 record car is an LS3 car. Bobby Akers had it for a while with a ls3 headed 6.0 and Dan Murcheck has had it for a while now with his sbe ls3 grand sport.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:48 PM
Undecided07
Instructor

What he said.

My tuner & I believe we’re losing a decent amount of power through my sloppy converter & transmission. We’re most likely at the limit of what a 4L60 type transmission is going to put up with for long. They’ve put together a bunch of D1X combos with both LS & LT motors that put down north of 900 rwhp. They’re convinced with the converter tightened up or locked & a hard tire mine combo would be putting down some mid 900s for power. However I’m waay more interested in track numbers & wins than anything else.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:46 PM
thehulk
Racer

Originally Posted by da6speed
Stop chasing boost numbers and trying to understand them as no 2 cars are the same. Boost is just a measure of restriction in the intake at map sensor. Engine displacement, cam, heads, intake, headers, air filter type or any at all, bellmouth, e85/pump gas, meth or not, all those things can affect the boost number.

And the 6L80 record car is an LS3 car. Bobby Akers had it for a while with a ls3 headed 6.0 and Dan Murcheck has had it for a while now with his sbe ls3 grand sport.

I'm not chasing boost numbers per say. Im chasing track times associated with boost numbers for similar setups. If 12lbs of boost can make me run 9.0s with 500rwhp that's fine with me but that's not the case. Auto C6s and dynos vary somewhat, we all know that. Ultimately I'll have to run it at the track and adjust so all I can do is compare numbers based on setups so I am not disappointed at the track. Lotsa money in this one Iol.

I just wanna get my ricky bobby on.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:32 PM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

I'm not chasing boost numbers per say. Im chasing track times associated with boost numbers for similar setups. If 12lbs of boost can make me run 9.0s with 500rwhp that's fine with me but that's not the case. Auto C6s and dynos vary somewhat, we all know that. Ultimately I'll have to run it at the track and adjust so all I can do is compare numbers based on setups so I am not disappointed at the track. Lotsa money in this one Iol.

I just wanna get my ricky bobby on.
Trust me, I know about the money. I don't chase Dyno numbers either as unlocked converters never tell the story.. But track times do. Get it tuned and go run it.. Then turn it up if you're not happy. And FYI, 15s aren't needed for autos!

Old 07-26-2022, 06:28 PM
thehulk
Racer

Originally Posted by da6speed
Trust me, I know about the money. I don't chase Dyno numbers either as unlocked converters never tell the story.. But track times do. Get it tuned and go run it.. Then turn it up if you're not happy. And FYI, 15s aren't needed for autos!

Bro, our cars are damn near identical! Sweet ride

What does your car put down and how fast is it?
Old 07-26-2022, 06:38 PM
Undecided07
Instructor

Good looking car. Curious on the specs as well.

I’d agree 15s aren’t totally necessary but they help in the tire price & availability depts, plus tend to work more consistently when the surfaces get more sketchy.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:39 AM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

Bro, our cars are damn near identical! Sweet ride

What does your car put down and how fast is it?
Good looking car. Curious on the specs as well.

I’d agree 15s aren’t totally necessary but they help in the tire price & availability depts, plus tend to work more consistently when the surfaces get more sketchy.
Thanks! The car has seen different setups over the years.. Back in 2019, it went 1.37, 5.90@118, 9.18@151 on pump gas/meth (think it made like 790rwhp unlocked on pump/meth). That setup was a rod/piston 6.0 with stock lsa heads/ls3 intake ,Jam Cam, A&A setup with F1A head unit, custom aux fuel setup, Yank pas3400, stock 2.56 diff, stock axles, stock shocks. It went faster after I switched to flex/e85. Wound up getting a head gasket and torched head/block, so I rebuilt with a nice forged 6.2/brodix br3 heads and turned the blower up (made tad over 900 rwhp unlocked on e80 mix in July heat in Baton Rouge). It went even faster then (1st pass off the trailer was a 5.72) but wound up getting head gasket again in the same manner, same exact cylinder. New motor, new injectors, new everything except the ecm. Upon teardown of motor that had only had dyno time, 15 miles on it, (3) 1/8 mile hits and an attempted single 1/4 hit, the rod bearing was wiped out on that same cylinder. Somehow the stock ecm had more timing in that one cylinder vs the rest and causing lots of detonation and starved for fuel. We never knew it due to other 7 cylinders masking it, never had any knock on logs, 02s looked great, afr was safe as I log every pass.

Since then (car has been down since Sept. 2020), I have sold blower setup, headers, meth kit, etc., rebuilt engine again and have went twin turbo setup with ProEfi 112 but it's not finished as it needs a few small things and to be tuned.

Old 07-27-2022, 12:45 PM
Undecided07
Instructor

Man that’s moving out! I’m shooting for some mid 5s in the 1/8 myself once I get some seat time & continue getting used to blower set-up. I’m hoping to avoid the head gasket issues that plagued your combo. My tuner has a lot of experience with E-85/boosted combinations, & he definitely leans on the conservative side. However he has cautioned me that I’m riding the absolute limits of the factory ECU capabilities as far as fueling, timing, etc. He’s had do to some trickery to control the injectors due to their size. So, I’ve been doing some lite research on stand alone options since that’s in my future it appears. Good luck with your new combo, post up pics & updates when available.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:56 PM
Undecided07
Instructor

Btw, what was the reason for going the Pro 112 route vs the 128? I was under the impression that the 128 was more of a plug & plug deal than the 112. I’m just starting the scratch the surface on the stand alone options out there, so just trying to gather some education. TIA.
Old 07-27-2022, 02:54 PM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

Man that’s moving out! I’m shooting for some mid 5s in the 1/8 myself once I get some seat time & continue getting used to blower set-up. I’m hoping to avoid the head gasket issues that plagued your combo. My tuner has a lot of experience with E-85/boosted combinations, & he definitely leans on the conservative side. However he has cautioned me that I’m riding the absolute limits of the factory ECU capabilities as far as fueling, timing, etc. He’s had do to some trickery to control the injectors due to their size. So, I’ve been doing some lite research on stand alone options since that’s in my future it appears. Good luck with your new combo, post up pics & updates when available.
Btw, what was the reason for going the Pro 112 route vs the 128? I was under the impression that the 128 was more of a plug & plug deal than the 112. I’m just starting the scratch the surface on the stand alone options out there, so just trying to gather some education. TIA.
Yeah, I knew I was reaching too far with the antiquated '06 ecm as the 2009 and newer e38s are better than the 06-08. Plan was to run it for that fall and then swap in the ProEfi over winter but it had plans of its own. My tuner suggested the 112 over the 128 as he does a lot of the ProEfi stuff. He isn't fond of the 128s, has more issues I think? The 112 plugged right up to factory harness, I just had to wire in the wideband controller, backpressure sensors, gate solenoids, aux fuel pump, scavenge pump, trans cooler fan, and the logger. It'd probably be really easy on a blower car.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:27 PM
Undecided07
Instructor

Mine is ‘07, so I’m in the same boat. We had to upgrade the injectors to 1650s from 1300s due to duty cycle being higher than we were comfortable with. After some research, it appears injector scaling & duty cycle indications aren’t accurate when using the larger injectors.

Good to know on the Pro 112, I thought it would be a lot more involved as far as installation. I’m definitely not interested in a massive wiring project. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:39 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

The D1X is a bad blower you’ll love it. I never go the chance to turn mine up beyond the 980 it made but if I was to ever go back to a blower setup that’s what I would run.

Get notified of new replies

To D1X LS3 E85 Project- 08' C6

Old 07-30-2022, 09:11 PM
thehulk
Racer

Well boys, gonna need a new converter or trans. She won't shift now after 4 pulls.

Gonna limp her back to the shop.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:07 PM
camaro75racer
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to see some posts about these kind of setups.

I recently got my car finished up...2008 base model with BRT centrifugal blower cam and ECS 8 rib kit with the Novi 2200HD head unit. Car is the stock 6l80 with Circle D 3600 triple disk. We are being careful with it right now because my IAT's are little out of control but even without pushing it the trans has been a nightmare. Is there anyone that's a major 6l80 tuning guru for these things? We made huge improvements but the car still feels kinda sluggish on the shifts. Here's timeslip from thursday night of the car spinning through 1st and shifting early to try and keep IAT's down....its pulling all the timing out anyways up top lol.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:57 PM
Undecided07
Instructor

Well that sucks. At least you know you’re making good power if it’s giving an otherwise healthy trans fits. Lol. I swapped mine from a 6spd manual to the RPM built 4L60E setup so I could hamper some of the driveline woes these cars are prone to when making power on sticky tires. I’ll most likely upgrade eventually to a Glide with a brake & a 9” once I start having issues with my current combo holding the power.

The guys at Circle D seem to have some luck with modifying/tuning those 6spd autos as well as building a good converter for them. There are some fast cars running around with their parts on board, especially around here. Good luck guys.

Quick Reply: D1X LS3 E85 Project- 08' C6