C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those of you with mt ss street tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 01:20 PM
SteveSierra
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Those of you with mt ss street tires

Ok so I知 looking for new wheels and tires for my narrow body turbo build, running around 850whp.
As I want to keep the wilwood brakes on I was originally thinking of running 19x9.5 fronts with 265/35 and 18x10.5 beadlocks with 305/40 mt ss street.
problem I知 finding is that the mt痴 are impossible to get at the minute and as I知 in the U.K. I worry about future replacements.
move also been reading some horrible feedback saying that they are unstable at high speeds and hard to balance.

im now thinking, as the car is mainly a street car maybe I should get 19x11 rear wheels and then just fit toyo r888r tires all round. Probably 265/35 and 305/30. I believe these are also more better handling tires.

has anyone got experience of these tires or any others that they would recommend?

like I said mainly a street car but may attend tracks.

thanks in advance
Old 12-31-2021, 02:08 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

When you watch a lot of Jon's Tyre Reviews on Youtube...Michelin PS4 or PS4S if they're available would be hard to beat for a legit road tyre.. I've always found the 888's to be way over-rated...although I do live in a coldish climate.

I tried PS4 on my non vette briefly last year, although on warm dry sunny days and was very impressed. By far the grippiest tyre I've used on normal roads even with the weather etc taken into consideration. Unfortunately don't have huge miles on them yet for a variety of reasons. Hopefully next year will be better.

The last R888R's I used, were below legal tread limit after around 1200 miles. Useless really.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:39 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
When you watch a lot of Jon's Tyre Reviews on Youtube...Michelin PS4 or PS4S if they're available would be hard to beat for a legit road tyre.. I've always found the 888's to be way over-rated...although I do live in a coldish climate.

I tried PS4 on my non vette briefly last year, although on warm dry sunny days and was very impressed. By far the grippiest tyre I've used on normal roads even with the weather etc taken into consideration. Unfortunately don't have huge miles on them yet for a variety of reasons. Hopefully next year will be better.

The last R888R's I used, were below legal tread limit after around 1200 miles. Useless really.
Don't listen to this! Trying to compare Michelin road tires for grip compared to Toyo r888r shows what you know! Why even comment if you do not own a vette is beyond me! R888r are a great tire. I have them on the back of my vette for a reason. I also have the Michelin Ps4 on the front.. Look up other people on this forum and Performance shops that has used the Toyos. Most people love them for a street tire! Lots of people with big power rate them! Obviously the more you heat cycle any tire they lose grip

Last edited by rajahhindi; 01-01-2022 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-01-2022, 05:33 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rajahhindi
Don't listen to this! Trying to compare Michelin road tires for grip compared to Toyo r888r shows what you know! Why even comment if you do not own a vette is beyond me! R888r are a great tire. I have them on the back of my vette for a reason. I also have the Michelin Ps4 on the front.. Look up other people on this forum and Performance shops that has used the Toyos. Most people love them for a street tire! Lots of people with big power rate them! Obviously the more you heat cycle any tire they lose grip
I can still smoke a set of 888's with ease at 150mph.......so yes, they are vastly vastly over-rated. PS4's for me, which were far far better even gripping from around 80-90mph under same conditions. And as I clearly said, perhaps they suit some climates better than others. But in a cold climate, yes they are crap. And for road use, have a ridiculously short life and are genuinely dangerous in standing water/puddles. 1000 miles or so til a tyre is illegal is just ****. There is no way anyone can try and dress that up as ok.

And yes, lots of people love do 888's here too.....of course a lot of people do just follow the hype too and never try different tyres. If some muppet says on the internet they're the best, the sheep follow. I've tried literally a dozen or so different types over the years.

And when you live several thousand miles away and you have never driven on the type of roads he mentions...are you equipped to give advice for those same roads ? You have never driven on them, nor the same environment, on any car.

Tyres are a difficult choice because of so much bullshit and hype out there. Really testing on your own car, under the conditions you will drive etc is the only answer. Yes it is ******* expensive as I have done it....but it is the only answer. And no doubt after doing that, you will get different answers from most people.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:57 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 408 Likes on 306 Posts

@stevieturbo out of curiosity how long did they still have good hooking capabilities for?
Old 01-02-2022, 12:05 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

I can still smoke a set of 888's with ease at 150mph.......so yes, they are vastly vastly over-rated. PS4's for me, which were far far better even gripping from around 80-90mph under same conditions. And as I clearly said, perhaps they suit some climates better than others. But in a cold climate, yes they are crap. And for road use, have a ridiculously short life and are genuinely dangerous in standing water/puddles. 1000 miles or so til a tyre is illegal is just ****. There is no way anyone can try and dress that up as ok.

And yes, lots of people love do 888's here too.....of course a lot of people do just follow the hype too and never try different tyres. If some muppet says on the internet they're the best, the sheep follow. I've tried literally a dozen or so different types over the years.

And when you live several thousand miles away and you have never driven on the type of roads he mentions...are you equipped to give advice for those same roads ? You have never driven on them, nor the same environment, on any car.

Tyres are a difficult choice because of so much bullshit and hype out there. Really testing on your own car, under the conditions you will drive etc is the only answer. Yes it is ******* expensive as I have done it....but it is the only answer. And no doubt after doing that, you will get different answers from most people.
can still smoke a set of 888's with ease at 150mph? Bahahahaha Shows wat a dick you really are! you really think people will believe this? Really? And the Avatar with the fake smoke on some busted *** piece of **** does zero to your credibility!

Last edited by rajahhindi; 01-02-2022 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-02-2022, 05:10 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

can still smoke a set of 888's with ease at 150mph? Bahahahaha Shows wat a dick you really are! you really think people will believe this? Really? And the Avatar with the fake smoke on some busted *** piece of **** does zero to your credibility!
You really are retarded ?

This is the boosted section, if you make no power, disappear.

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
@stevieturbo out of curiosity how long did they still have good hooking capabilities for?
For me they never did. The older 888's were better than the newer R888R, but of a lot of the trackday type tyres I used, they would be my last choice.

For years I believed the hype and went through a few sets...then recently decided to try some of the Michelins a lot of other people were saying great things about. I had not done this before in the belief they were far too expensive. But it really was an eye opener and made me wonder why so many ******* think the 888 is so fantastic.
Now 888's are better than bog standard regular cheaper road tyres of which I've had many over the years.
But how the PS4 performed for me on the road last year, was leaps and bounds better than any 888 I've used, of any size.

The most sickening part about the 888 is just how short the damn things last before they are illegal. I've no idea what the laws are in the US, as people seem to quote some ridiculous mileage life, but legal tread limit here is a min of 1.6mm across the centre 75% of the tread. Which if using the tyres hard at all, and road miles.....I would not believe anyone could get more than 1500 miles from them. Which is very short life for any road car unless they never actually drive their car. The last rears I had I got around 1200 miles, although their tread depth when new was less than the different sized fronts. Fronts would last around 1800-2000 miles

But everyone has a free choice, you choose what you think works best for you. Everyone has different roads, surfaces, requirements, weather...and in the case of raj about 150hp to never trouble a tyre.
Old 01-02-2022, 05:17 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Some good reviews of various tyres, although he never does any drag orientated tyres. A lot of them are not strictly legal in the UK for road use anyway

https://www.youtube.com/c/tyrereviews/search?query=toyo
Old 01-02-2022, 12:07 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

I think the hype comes from the people asking about them getting told that they’re as good as a drag radial when it comes to traction which is not true at all. I think the r888 and the ps4s are as good as it gets for a non drag radial. I’m not sure what the laws are for tire tread nor do I follow them. Just take my lickings and move on with life. Breaking them loose at 150 is pretty wild. Is it doing that during a shift? How much power?
Old 01-02-2022, 07:23 PM
SteveSierra
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.
it is a tough one as I know drag radials would supply the max grip but don稚 like what I hear about them being unstable at high speeds. Also heard they cannot corner at all.
That痴 the last thing I need on my car.
I feel I致e been watching so many reviews it just gets confusing and everyone has there favourite.
it looks as though the ones that come out best for fast road use and occasional track use are
-Nankang AR1
-Yokohama A052
-Yokohama AD08r
-toyo r888r (although above feedback what argue that)
Old 01-02-2022, 09:56 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SteveSierra
Thanks for all the replies.
it is a tough one as I know drag radials would supply the max grip but don稚 like what I hear about them being unstable at high speeds. Also heard they cannot corner at all.
That痴 the last thing I need on my car.
I feel I致e been watching so many reviews it just gets confusing and everyone has there favourite.
it looks as though the ones that come out best for fast road use and occasional track use are
-Nankang AR1
-Yokohama A052
-Yokohama AD08r
-toyo r888r (although above feedback what argue that)
I would run the toyos long before even considering the others. Again just one this opinion, and full disclosure I致e never run them personally. I致e spent a ton of time at the drag strip, I race all of my cars once I get them dialed in. There痴 a reason the toyos are the most popular street tire for high HP cars. I don稚 think that痴 debatable either. A drag radial as I said before will always provide better grip. They do handle like **** around turns but who does high speed turns with drag radials on the car? I致e taken drag radials up to 140 with only very minor swaying. Much less than what the bias ply guys talk about that痴 for sure. If you have skinnies in the front that痴 another story.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:37 PM
rajahhindi
Racer

I would run the toyos long before even considering the others. Again just one this opinion, and full disclosure I致e never run them personally. I致e spent a ton of time at the drag strip, I race all of my cars once I get them dialed in. There痴 a reason the toyos are the most popular street tire for high HP cars. I don稚 think that痴 debatable either. A drag radial as I said before will always provide better grip. They do handle like **** around turns but who does high speed turns with drag radials on the car? I致e taken drag radials up to 140 with only very minor swaying. Much less than what the bias ply guys talk about that痴 for sure. If you have skinnies in the front that痴 another story.
One minute it is all HYPE? Now the best? Do a bit of reading, did you?
Old 01-02-2022, 10:40 PM
rajahhindi
Racer

Breaking them loose at 150 is pretty wild. Is it doing that during a shift? How much power? Notice how he does not reply? And if he does, it will be BS!
Old 01-03-2022, 12:09 AM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

One minute it is all HYPE? Now the best? Do a bit of reading, did you?

What are you talking about?
Old 01-03-2022, 12:14 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

I think the hype comes from the people asking about them getting told that they’re as good as a drag radial when it comes to traction which is not true at all. I think the r888 and the ps4s are as good as it gets for a non drag radial. I’m not sure what the laws are for tire tread nor do I follow them. Just take my lickings and move on with life. Breaking them loose at 150 is pretty wild. Is it doing that during a shift? How much power?
Your words! Plus the OP asked about the best street tire for 850whp! Whats your experience? As your mate said! This is forced induction! So why are you here? Like him! This is a corvette forum! So why is he here?

Last edited by rajahhindi; 01-03-2022 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:35 AM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

My words? What are you 12? What specific words? Do you need to have an 850hp car to be able to offer sound advice? No, you don’t mate.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:51 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

My words? What are you 12? What specific words? Do you need to have an 850hp car to be able to offer sound advice? No, you don稚 mate.
You offer zip but BS!

Get notified of new replies

To Those of you with mt ss street tires

Old 01-03-2022, 10:02 AM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

You offer zip but BS!

Didn't know recommending someone the best street tire was BS. My bad... If you did some reading you would see I never said they're all hype then theyre the best. What I said was the hype comes from people thinking they will hook as good as a drag radial. You're nothing more than a troll.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:09 PM
MRSUPRA
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I don稚 have MT SS tires, but I have Nitto NT05R drag radials with 708rwhp and they were never good, and after 500 miles of street use, they are completely worthless in 1st and 2nd gear.

i had Toyo R888s on my 600rwhp mustang and they held the power nicely and lasted a long time.

Now I need to find a better tire for the Vette, but these tire threads seem to confuse me more than anything.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:24 PM
rajahhindi
Racer

Didn't know recommending someone the best street tire was BS. My bad... If you did some reading you would see I never said they're all hype then theyre the best. What I said was the hype comes from people thinking they will hook as good as a drag radial. You're nothing more than a troll.
How can i be a troll when i have owned the tires mentioned here! I just do not suffer fools and Forum BS Artists!

Quick Reply: Those of you with mt ss street tires