C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the experience like going from a centri blower/meth/water to turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 07:14 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 568 Likes on 443 Posts

Default Whats the experience like going from a centri blower/meth/water to turbo?

Ive been super happy with my smallish p1-sc blower and meth/water injection on a stock bottom end manual car.

im no expert mechanic, but I installed it myself , tuned it myself, worked the bugs out and am confident enough that i daily drive it and trip it as well . 200 + miles from home. Have never needed towed. I was very proud of myself for this project

that said, ive been thinking down the road to a d1-x or even f series procharger / eventually needing a bottom end build which i will pull/install the motor myself

that said, what am i missing out with turbo (vs centrifugal blower) - is it just such a better experience that I should be going that route? Seems way more complicated, the car would be down longer as tubing needs bent/fabricated. I may need some kind of boost controller (ie. Added complication).

unlike the centrifugal, i WONT be able to do most of the work. It will cut into my other hobbies

then again, ive followed builds here and noted that once centrifugal guys go turbo - they dont seem to go back (to centrifugal).

any long term advice?
Old 07-30-2020, 07:43 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

I’d save the money and keep what you have. If anything swap head units and turn up the boost.
The following users liked this post:
wideglideleon (08-11-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 10:41 PM
MRSUPRA
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I've had nothing but turbo cars including a twin turbo 5.0 mustang before my centri powered Corvette GS. Too me, the centri has better has better drivability with instant boost and a linear power curve. In my opinion, I don't see any reason for going turbo unless you want something different or want to make massive power.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:27 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Turbo's are cool and all but there just isn't a good simple way to package them on C6's compared to how easy centri setups are. I'd stick with centri. Do a D1X if you want to go the procharger route, even on a stock bottom end people are doing 900+ with those things on E85 and they're surviving
Old 08-01-2020, 01:25 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

turbo will make more power (ceteris paribus). it has obvious disadvantages for a street car. often you end up trying to make the turbo behave like a centri. modern turbosystems behave like a pd blower, but thats another story.

Last edited by romandian; 08-11-2020 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:27 PM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

what's the issue is it just not fast enough any more?
Old 08-10-2020, 09:01 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

With Turbo you will need AARP and a garage to store the car after breaking, it will not be reliable as any supercharger and from Transmission, Axles, Differential and scavenger pump issues will be a common problem, it will be great for experience
Old 08-11-2020, 04:31 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Just go for the D1 or F1.

Much easier and you've already some parts in place anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the experience like going from a centri blower/meth/water to turbo?

Quick Reply: Whats the experience like going from a centri blower/meth/water to turbo?