C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping Procharged Setup cool and happy....suggestions ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:29 PM
bdickey058
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

i'll have to log my Iats, my tuner says they are high and causing heat soak after i did a 2nd through 4th pull on the interstate on a 70degree day. I can only imagen what my Iats are after waiting in a staging lane, doing a burnout, staging, then mashing on it going down the track. I have the older version procharger fmic, the h.0. one from 09. i'm also maxing out my d1sc causing high iat's as well. Looking to go to a f1a-94 and possibly a different intercooler as well to make a little more horse 900 and not have the blower maxed out causing extreme heat.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:35 PM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bdickey058
i'll have to log my Iats, my tuner says they are high and causing heat soak after i did a 2nd through 4th pull on the interstate on a 70degree day. I can only imagen what my Iats are after waiting in a staging lane, doing a burnout, staging, then mashing on it going down the track. I have the older version procharger fmic, the h.0. one from 09. i'm also maxing out my d1sc causing high iat's as well. Looking to go to a f1a-94 and possibly a different intercooler as well to make a little more horse 900 and not have the blower maxed out causing extreme heat.
I love my F1A
Old 08-28-2017, 10:37 PM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Wouldn't happen to have a pic of the modded stock shroud ? (Also why do only half of the Photobucket pics show up and other say third party something or other ?)

Originally Posted by realcanuk
As always mention in these "running hot" threads.... I have done a lot of small things to try and help cooling, but I still believe the most important thing is sealing things so the airflow is forced properly through the rad. I maintained the stock shroud (with some cutting) to accomplish this and have no issues. Granted, it doesn't get that hot here, only maybe near 90 on the very hottest days, and that's rare.
What I do find a bit weird, is that no matter what the ambient temp is... anywhere from 60-90, my car runs the same termpertures...

Highway .... 188-190
Stop and go in residential area... stop signs at evey corner.... 194-195
Stuck in heavy traffic.... just under 200, and will occasionally creep up to 203 but never over that.

This is without AC ....which I rarely use. With AC on in traffic, 215 is the most i have seen.

I think better coolant flow at idle and low rpm would help some. I notice that when stuck in traffic, if i just hold the throttle at something like 1200 rpm, the temp drops a few degrees. Not something i worry about, but could be a clue to slightly better temps in traffic conditions.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:58 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 395 Likes on 360 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Six-Gun-Todd
Wouldn't happen to have a pic of the modded stock shroud ? (Also why do only half of the Photobucket pics show up and other say third party something or other ?)
Photobucket killed photo sharing so pics previously posted don't show.

Basically a matter of trimming it to fit back with your setup. Measure, trim, try, and repeat. Here's a pic it trimming in progress.

Name:  photo360.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  992.9 KB

Name:  photo943.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  655.3 KB
The following users liked this post:
Nick_04k (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 11:01 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Name:  photo171.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  609.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
Nick_04k (08-28-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:27 AM
02FireHawk555
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After a couple years of "to busy" to wrench I'm back and trying to enjoy my new setup....built LS9, F1 Procharger, alky injection, custom cam, 3 pump fuel system, and anything else I could get my mits on. Problem is she runs hot and I've researched as far as I can go....

Here's what I have

1. Dewitt radiator with oil cooler (stock height)
2. Stock fan direct wired (Dewitt dual fan setup was WAY worse)
3. Custom shrouding from intercooler to radiator
4. 70/30 mix with water wetter
5. Heat extractor carbon fiber hood

So my questions....does the shrouding on the intercooler ala A&A kit help much ? Does the ZR1 air splitter contribute to better cooling ? I saw a sweet radiator/condenser/intercooler module that was all one piece...who makes that ? Evan's waterless coolant any good ? D3 fan setup worth the price ?

I have a Z51 and had to get the Dewitts radiator with my A&A kit, I have the shroud and still have cooling issues. The stock fan doesn't seem to pull enough air through the Dewitts radiator with the oil cooler in it. I have been told that I should get the D3 dual fans so recently I placed an order. Mine was supposed to ship Monday but they are located in Houston so my order will be delayed.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:46 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I went rad with no coolers. I have desperate oil and trans coolers, both with fans on them.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:19 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
One thing I've noticed is stock motor cars seem to run a lot better heat wise. Lowering compression, built motor all seem to run hotter.
Sure, because they have lower compression and advance may not be properly tuned.

Seen this many many times.

You can have 800rwhp stock LS3 without heat problems but as soon as you put forged stuff in the same engine with lower compression heat becomes an issue. And it isn't because of piston or crank or rod material.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yep, which is another reason to keep the compression up.

Plus location has a huge effect. I had zero heat issues in Utah. None, zip, ran 205 or less all the time with almost stock setup. Now Arizona is a whole new world.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:55 PM
bdickey058
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm running e85 now and thinking about adding meth in the upper rpm range
Old 08-29-2017, 07:18 PM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

I think my radiator is angled to much to use it like that....but my sheet metal shroud comes close.

I've been thinking about doing an air to water with a Magnuson lower manifold/intercooler brick and fabing an inlet.....a bit surprised no one has tried this...

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Photobucket killed photo sharing so pics previously posted don't show.

Basically a matter of trimming it to fit back with your setup. Measure, trim, try, and repeat. Here's a pic it trimming in progress.

Attachment 48201079

Attachment 48201078
Old 08-29-2017, 09:38 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I think my radiator is angled to much to use it like that....but my sheet metal shroud comes close.

I've been thinking about doing an air to water with a Magnuson lower manifold/intercooler brick and fabing an inlet.....a bit surprised no one has tried this...
Cost, complexity, weight, and those uppers only support so much flow so it is a restriction.

There is simply cheaper/easier ways to get better results which is why people probably haven't done it. If you wanted to do that I would just go all out and do a highram cooler setup and do a big cowl hood.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:59 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

RealCanuk's setup looks/works great, when I did the shroud on mine I just took the stock ECS upper sheet metal thing around the intake tube and cut it with a cutting wheel and then stood radiator up a little more by moving the top mounting brackets forward a little and then fab'd some side plates out of sheet metal bought at home depot, took front bumper off and notched the front bumper frame rail for more intercooler/radiator flow, it all worked out great and cost very little.

I have meth so IAT sensor may be getting saturated a bit but my IATs are very low even at 175mph+ in the 1/2 mile with base ECS intercooler and D1SC. I don't see how A2W is necessary at <900whp on these cars.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:55 PM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

CFM is comparable to a TVS 2300.....thought I saw 1500 cfm for it verses 1650 for the F1A at peak efficiency. Making the turn would probably eat up some flow though.....

Might try to add some airflow panels like the A&A intercooler and trim the lower part of the core support. Are you guys just trimming it or boxing it as well ?

Originally Posted by Unreal
Cost, complexity, weight, and those uppers only support so much flow so it is a restriction.

There is simply cheaper/easier ways to get better results which is why people probably haven't done it. If you wanted to do that I would just go all out and do a highram cooler setup and do a big cowl hood.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Trimmed mine, drove like that for ~1.5 years, then welded a plate in next time I had bumper off.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:10 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

I just trimmed mine, next time I have the bumper off the car I'll weld it up. I noticed no difference at all in the car (turn in, stiffness, etc) after trimming it too fwiw.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:15 PM
nareg
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by inspector12
A big help is also an air gap between you IC and condenser/radiator and another is to try and get the IC and condenser/radiator angle as close to the same as possible. I have good luck with the dual fans you spoke of as well wired direct. But didn't try the stocker with all the changes. My car runs between 176-185 with A/C on in summer heat of Texas. GL!
Preach!
Old 09-05-2017, 08:30 AM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

84 degrees yesterday and highway temps are 201-205 without AC so I'm getting somewhere....

Temps drop when I get off the highway about 10 degrees so stock fan is working better....but I'm definitely getting air moving around the intercooler/radiator package. Thinking I'm going to throw the book at her....separate out the oil and trans cooler from the radiator and run coolers in the fog openings, D3 fans, trim core support, and maybe a cut down Dewitt mounted to be more vertical. Also going to move the BOV which can't be helping because it's right behind the radiator fan (there's some serious air coming off that baby competing with the rad fan)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Stay full size dewitts. No reason to go cut down.

Quick Reply: Keeping Procharged Setup cool and happy....suggestions ?