C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 cam/boltons/e85. 150 shot, upgrade pump or standalone cell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 10:56 AM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude_man
E85 is less than $2/gal, cars runs cooler, makes more hp& tq throughout the entire powerband, you can get away with running 60# injectors which are cheap, and do a walbro 450 intank which is also cheap.

People spend 2k on headers when the $700 headers make within a few hp of each other... Or even better all the vette owners who bought a muffler which gains maybe 5hp?

Its definitely worth it if you want performance, especially if you bump up the compression.
E85 is at $2.77 national average at the moment. It's like $2.08 at the moment here. The amount consumed vs. the cost is a wash and you know that.

60# Injectors are cheap in so far as injectors go sure...putting a walbro intank is not something the average Vette owner is going to do or going to want to do. You're approaching that from YOUR position of a DIYer which for this platform is not common.

I did my entire exhaust system for under a grand...but to your point I don't walk around thinking those are common prices. Like I said people spend money how they want, for me it's not worth it without boost. My reasoning is simple..it's because regardless of whether or not you make 20whp or 40whp across the ****ing board 4xxwhp is ****ing slow and changing your fuel system out to still be slow is ****ing retarded for an average owner.

Pardon my Brooklyn...I'm not hot just talking shop in my native accent lol

Last edited by MBB; 06-07-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MBB
E85 is at $2.77 national average at the moment. It's like $2.08 at the moment here. The amount consumed vs. the cost is a wash and you know that.

60# Injectors are cheap in so far as injectors go sure...putting a walbro intank is not something the average Vette owner is going to do or going to want to do. You're approaching that from YOUR position of a DIYer which for this platform is not common.

I did my entire exhaust system for under a grand...but to your point I don't walk around thinking those are common prices. Like I said people spend money how they want, for me it's not worth it without boost. My reasoning is simple..it's because regardless of whether or not you make 20whp or 40whp across the ****ing board 4xxwhp is ****ing slow and changing your fuel system out to still be slow is ****ing retarded for an average owner.
its $1.99 here right meow. To some people thats all they want though... At one point you thought that was fast, as did I. You can still go mid 10s. The OP is also on spray which he will benefit from the e85. Adding a flex fuel sensor also makes it more appealing IMO for those who dd their car.

We both have different views on this, which is good it educates people and helps them make the decision that best suites them
Old 06-07-2016, 11:09 AM
MBB
Melting Slicks

its $1.99 here right meow. To some people thats all they want though... At one point you thought that was fast, as did I. You can still go mid 10s. The OP is also on spray which he will benefit from the e85. Adding a flex fuel sensor also makes it more appealing IMO for those who dd their car.

We both have different views on this, which is good it educates people and helps them make the decision that best suites them
Agreed. Flex is the way to go. My car will hit the rollers on Friday and we'll get some definitive data for those that were on the fence about a mild blower setup on E vs. 93.

p.s. This is why I enjoy conversing with you and Curtis. You guys don't get butthurt when an opposing view is put forth and you talk it out, even if aggressively. You boys need to come to TX2k and hang next year.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by MBB
Agreed. Flex is the way to go. My car will hit the rollers on Friday and we'll get some definitive data for those that were on the fence about a mild blower setup on E vs. 93.

p.s. This is why I enjoy conversing with you and Curtis. You guys don't get butthurt when an opposing view is put forth and you talk it out, even if aggressively. You boys need to come to TX2k and hang next year.
Ironically thats how Curtis and I became friends haha Ive been saying since 2011 "Im going next year for sure!"... Never seems to happen. Switching careers which should allow me to take more time off. If my car is completely finished (All stages of the build) I will definitely try to make it.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:19 AM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I must still be drunk. What I'm saying is, it's pointless to do a standalone fuel system if you plan on running e85. Get it all from the rail(if you have the fuel system). Unless you plan on getting fancy and want to run e98 in a standalone, but I don't think it's needed.
Ah I gotcha now.

Originally Posted by MBB
I'm thinking he won't have enough fuel on stock injectors to run a big shot and E. I honestly don't get the switch to E n/a anyway it's a lot of work and extra $$$ for maybe 20whp.
I bought ls9 injectors for $125.00, planned on getting the car retuned anyways so why not go ahead and put some good fuel in her? We only have 91 here. Honestly I think it's a cheap upgrade. Well in my case it was anyways. 125.00 for the injectors, 150.00 for a retune, all I have to do is swap injectors. Don't see where "it's a lot of and extra money" honestly.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Ive tuned a car with LS9 injectors and didnt have any issues, but I did hear the spray angle is different due to them being designed to work with the blower. I was told they spray more toward the cylinder wall. Im not sure how true that is though.

Last edited by Dude_man; 06-07-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:27 AM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by emoFTW
Ah I gotcha now.

I bought ls9 injectors for $125.00, planned on getting the car retuned anyways so why not go ahead and put some good fuel in her? We only have 91 here. Honestly I think it's a cheap upgrade. Well in my case it was anyways. 125.00 for the injectors, 150.00 for a retune, all I have to do is swap injectors. Don't see where "it's a lot of and extra money" honestly.
Not sure if a stock LS3 fuel pump with a cam will have enough juice for E85.

If we say the LS3 fuel pump maxes out at 600rwhp on 93 (estimate) then that would mean the FP would only support low 400rwhp on e85 (30% more fuel needed)
Old 06-07-2016, 11:28 AM
emoFTW
Racer

Ive tuned a car with LS9 injectors and didnt have any issues, but I did hear the spray angle is different due to them being designed to work with the blower. I was told they spray more toward the cylinder wall. Im not sure how true that is though.

I was told the same as well. But Dave Steck assured me it wouldn't be a problem. He's tuned them on stock ls3 intakes and haven't had any issues. Buddy of mine is running a set right now in his GS.

E85 right now is 1.69 in my area. And that's a consistent E78 year round.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:30 AM
emoFTW
Racer

Originally Posted by GS_DAN
Not sure if a stock LS3 fuel pump with a cam will have enough juice for E85.

If we say the LS3 fuel pump maxes out at 600rwhp on 93 (estimate) then that would mean the FP would only support low 400rwhp on e85 (30% more fuel needed)
That's the samething I asked Dave Steck as well. But he told me the ls3 pump could support up to 550whp n/a on e85.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:34 AM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

That's the samething I asked Dave Steck as well. But he told me the ls3 pump could support up to 550whp n/a on e85.
Well if anybody knows about tuning and E85 its that guy. Update us with results if you do go that route.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:14 PM
MBB
Melting Slicks

LS9 injectors spray against the intake and wall wet on non-blower cars. I have LS9 injectors on my car now, but they've been machined to 108lb/hr by FIC. The spray angle is normal now since they've been machined.

Wall wetting is a concern, but if Dave is confident, and you're confident in his confidence then go for it. IMHO if you already have LS9 injectors you might as well send them off to be resized.. The service is $250 and it takes two days to do. I sent my injectors off on Monday and got them back Thursday. You can never have enough fuel with FI.

When I said it's a lot of money, I meant you're going to have to upgrade or at least BAP your stock fuel pump for 93..let alone E. But you seem to have it all figured out, so I'll wish you luck and wait to see how it goes.

Last edited by MBB; 06-07-2016 at 12:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dude_man (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 01:11 PM
emoFTW
Racer

Wet shot, but it will be iffy depending what can etc he has. All you're talking about it peak hp not the power it picks up throughout the entire rpm range. I personally picked up 40tq mid range when I was na.
What mods did you have when you were n/a? I'm second guessing myself now, little worried the factory pump won't be able to keep up with e85/cam/boltons

Originally Posted by MBB
LS9 injectors spray against the intake and wall wet on non-blower cars. I have LS9 injectors on my car now, but they've been machined to 108lb/hr by FIC. The spray angle is normal now since they've been machined.

Wall wetting is a concern, but if Dave is confident, and you're confident in his confidence then go for it. IMHO if you already have LS9 injectors you might as well send them off to be resized.. The service is $250 and it takes two days to do. I sent my injectors off on Monday and got them back Thursday. You can never have enough fuel with FI.

When I said it's a lot of money, I meant you're going to have to upgrade or at least BAP your stock fuel pump for 93..let alone E. But you seem to have it all figured out, so I'll wish you luck and wait to see how it goes.
That's interesting. Never knew they could be resized. But it's overkill for my setup. could they just fix the spray pattern to where it doesn't wall wet?
Old 06-07-2016, 01:21 PM
MBB
Melting Slicks

That's interesting. Never knew they could be resized. But it's overkill for my setup. could they just fix the spray pattern to where it doesn't wall wet?
Sure, or you could just spend money on injectors built for your car...which will cost more. You'll also more than likely need a BAP to keep up with a 200 shot off the rail and here's why I think as such:

Will the car do it on 93? Yep all day. Will the car do it on E? Who knows...probably, but I'd get at minimum a hotwire kit to stabalize the voltage going to the pump.

I had a split second lean spike on the hit with my 200 shot setup. I added a BAP and wire kit and it went away. That was on 93 with the entire shot hitting at once, no progressive...so YRMV.

Build it, test it, refine it... Dave's a good tuner, smart people listen to their tuner.

p.s. Never buy JUST enough fuel system...buy a little more than you need..in case sht as Chris Rock would say.

Last edited by MBB; 06-07-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:34 PM
emoFTW
Racer

I won't be pulling it off the rail with a stock pump, will definitely need an upgraded pump. But even at that with e85 I'm not for sure that it can even keep up either. Worried about sucking the rail dry. Will more than likely be going to a stand alone fuel cell for fueling for nitrous. Was just curious if the stock pump could support e85 with my mods and upgraded injectors.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

I won't be pulling it off the rail with a stock pump, will definitely need an upgraded pump. But even at that with e85 I'm not for sure that it can even keep up either. Worried about sucking the rail dry. Will more than likely be going to a stand alone fuel cell for fueling for nitrous. Was just curious if the stock pump could support e85 with my mods and upgraded injectors.
Youre really not using "that much more"with a smaller wet shot like that. I made 700WHP with a single walbro 450 on e85 with a turbo setup which will use a lot more fuel than a wet shot.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:12 PM
emoFTW
Racer

Youre really not using "that much more"with a smaller wet shot like that. I made 700WHP with a single walbro 450 on e85 with a turbo setup which will use a lot more fuel than a wet shot.
Well that's good to know!
Old 06-09-2016, 03:28 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 444 Posts

I'm at this crossroads as well, except with a LS7.

Walbro 450 is going in to replace my factory unit, and I have the Racetronix hotwire kit as well. Running E85 on my original OEM pump and 60 lbs injectors, I had a steady 60 psi on the rails...570 rwhp/550 tq.

Now I'm thinking of adding a plate kit jetted at 200 max, with my E85.

Simplicity versus safety

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 cam/boltons/e85. 150 shot, upgrade pump or standalone cell?

Old 06-25-2016, 06:53 PM
KM177122
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
I'm at this crossroads as well, except with a LS7.

Walbro 450 is going in to replace my factory unit, and I have the Racetronix hotwire kit as well. Running E85 on my original OEM pump and 60 lbs injectors, I had a steady 60 psi on the rails...570 rwhp/550 tq.

Now I'm thinking of adding a plate kit jetted at 200 max, with my E85.

Simplicity versus safety
60lbs injectors enough to handle a 200 shot using E85? I'm a rookie with nitrous(got a centri setup).
Old 06-25-2016, 11:56 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KM177122
60lbs injectors enough to handle a 200 shot using E85? I'm a rookie with nitrous(got a centri setup).
Not your injectors really but 60lb injectors should be good. Just have a good fuel pump so that you don't lose pressure. You plan on running a wet shot correct?

-Curtis
Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 PM
KM177122
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Curtis
Not your injectors really but 60lb injectors should be good. Just have a good fuel pump so that you don't lose pressure. You plan on running a wet shot correct?

-Curtis
My fuel system is good to go(full Fore system) but I was asking since OP is using 60lb injectors(I'm assuming stock rails) and I'm not familiar with nitrous fuel requirements. A 200 wet shot seemed like it would require more fuel. But since OP might run it off the rail then maybe it would be enough with that Walbro 450 out back? who knows....

Quick Reply: LS3 cam/boltons/e85. 150 shot, upgrade pump or standalone cell?