C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugs and wires for A&A Supercharged Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Plugs and wires for A&A Supercharged Grand Sport

After having two OEM wires completely dislodge themselves from the coils, I am in the market for wires and plugs. Currently running the NGK plugs supplied by A&A. The consensus seems to be that the TR6 gapped at .035" is the best for my application? Also need some input on wires as it seems the jury is still out. Please don't recommend OEM wires as I'm not at all impressed with them after this experience. Anyone running the Vengeance Racing or OML wires? Any input is appreciated, thanks folks.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:07 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I'll say that I really do not like my MSD wires. Always hard to tell if they're on the plug. I've heard good things about Taylor wires.

TR6's @ .030" (IMO on the gap) are spot on for a base A&A application.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:20 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

My tuner advised against the MSD wires so they're off my list although it seems many here are running them without issue. I didn't think I would have such a difficult time choosing wires lol. A lot of conflicting info out there.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:23 PM
TurboVic
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running MSD wires for two years now with Zero issues.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I have 3 OEM and 5 autozone wires on mine.

Had taylors, they are ok. Had one pop off and melt on the header, probably my fault. They worked good too. Had a few autozone ones fail and they warranty them out (lifetime) no issues.

I like the 6ix more than the 6 but I'm a fan of the iridium plugs.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:42 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboVic
I'm running MSD wires for two years now with Zero issues.
3 1/2 Years with no issues and was a big improvement on the OEM wires.

Originally Posted by Unreal
I have 3 OEM and 5 autozone wires on mine.

Had taylors, they are ok. Had one pop off and melt on the header, probably my fault. They worked good too. Had a few autozone ones fail and they warranty them out (lifetime) no issues.

I like the 6ix more than the 6 but I'm a fan of the iridium plugs.
The C6 ignition system is designed for iridium plugs. There is plenty of discussion on this issue. One thread is posted below, specifically read post #50, quote #4 for some GM engineering comments on the effects of a non-irridium plug.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ls2-3-why.html

Last edited by j_digi454; 07-29-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:51 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

What sold me on iridium plugs is watching high HP imports that are running 40+psi of boost. They break up and can't support that with a copper plug, swap in an iridium and they are fine, so obvious there is a difference. My car seems to idle smoother and run better on them, and the cost difference is $55 a set compared to $18, not that bad.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
My tuner advised against the MSD wires so they're off my list although it seems many here are running them without issue. I didn't think I would have such a difficult time choosing wires lol. A lot of conflicting info out there.
I've had two sets of Granatelli 0-ohm wire sets, and have been very happy with both. I was originally impressed by their testing, plus they're a local'ish company so I figured I'd give them a shot. Been much better than the MSD wires I had on an older LS1 build.

http://granatellimotorsports.com/ind...parent=24&pg=1

I just went for the standard temp 28-1811S and no issues with header contact or heat.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:32 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
What sold me on iridium plugs is watching high HP imports that are running 40+psi of boost. They break up and can't support that with a copper plug, swap in an iridium and they are fine, so obvious there is a difference. My car seems to idle smoother and run better on them, and the cost difference is $55 a set compared to $18, not that bad.
Then why is that two of the best Supercharger Kit companies, A&A and ECS continue to offer copper plugs? I heard one response that indicated that it was because they were trying to cut corners
Old 07-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Because they work. Nothing wrong with copper plugs. Ran them for years. Just saying the iridiums seem to work slightly better at not much of an extra cost.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NormWild
Then why is that two of the best Supercharger Kit companies, A&A and ECS continue to offer copper plugs? I heard one response that indicated that it was because they were trying to cut corners
I wouldn't say "cutting corners", but those two companies in particular trying to undercut each other in price is no mystery. Copper TR6 plugs work and are cheap. That said, I run the factory ZR1 plugs, which are "6" heat range iridiums.

Get notified of new replies

To Plugs and wires for A&A Supercharged Grand Sport

Quick Reply: Plugs and wires for A&A Supercharged Grand Sport