C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel smell..... ideas ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:45 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Fuel smell..... ideas ??

I know it is impossible to troubleshoot an issue like this on the internet, but I am looking for any ideas of what to look for or check.

Mods are in my signature. I recently added an ECS stage 1 fuel system to my car. Since adding this there is a constant smell of gas when the car is parked overnight in my garage.
I have checked, double checked, checked 1000 times and can not find any leak of any kind anywhere. The smell started right after adding the fuel system and no other changes were made at the same time. Someone suggested to me the certain fuel lines can allow an odor right through the line. I emailed ECS asking about this but never got a response. Has anyone experienced such a thing. I seems unlikely but I am totally out of ideas to check.

Thanks for any suggestions.....
Old 07-26-2014, 12:53 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

It's probably the hose. I run aeroquip startlite with no fuel odor that I can smell (granted my garage already kind of smells like a shop though)
Old 07-26-2014, 12:55 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
It's probably the hose. I run aeroquip startlite with no fuel odor that I can smell (granted my garage already kind of smells like a shop though)
Have you actually experienced the smell coming right through a hose ?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:57 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Have you actually experienced the smell coming right through a hose ?
Not personally, but there were many discussions about it that led me to buy the hose I chose due to the reviews of no fuel smell.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:00 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Not personally, but there were many discussions about it that led me to buy the hose I chose due to the reviews of no fuel smell.
Thanks. I am going to have to assume its the hose, since I cant find anything else. I am a little disappointed the hose supplied wasn't better. I would have happily paid extra for a better quality rather than having to redo the lines now.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Nasser_q8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it is impossible to troubleshoot an issue like this on the internet, but I am looking for any ideas of what to look for or check.

Mods are in my signature. I recently added an ECS stage 1 fuel system to my car. Since adding this there is a constant smell of gas when the car is parked overnight in my garage.
I have checked, double checked, checked 1000 times and can not find any leak of any kind anywhere. The smell started right after adding the fuel system and no other changes were made at the same time. Someone suggested to me the certain fuel lines can allow an odor right through the line. I emailed ECS asking about this but never got a response. Has anyone experienced such a thing. I seems unlikely but I am totally out of ideas to check.

Thanks for any suggestions.....
Happened to me before check the inline fuel pump shims if its leaking replace it with o-ring. check both fuel pump ports
http://www.jayracing.com/fuel-fittin...ting-p-39.html
Old 07-26-2014, 02:41 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Thanks. I am going to have to assume its the hose, since I cant find anything else. I am a little disappointed the hose supplied wasn't better. I would have happily paid extra for a better quality rather than having to redo the lines now.
I don't think you're getting the odor permeating a hose. Has to be a gasket or vent above the fuel level.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:59 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Nasser_q8
Happened to me before check the inline fuel pump shims if its leaking replace it with o-ring. check both fuel pump ports
http://www.jayracing.com/fuel-fittin...ting-p-39.html
Pretty sure mine came with O-rings, but will double check. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:03 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by saplumr
I don't think you're getting the odor permeating a hose. Has to be a gasket or vent above the fuel level.
I don't know what kind of hose they shipped with the ECS kit, but here is a quote from the Fore website.

Select our PTFE hose if fuel smell cannot be tolerated. Aeroquip Startlite hose may weep fuel smell.

It seems Teflon is the way to go.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:14 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

I don't know what kind of hose they shipped with the ECS kit, but here is a quote from the Fore website.

Select our PTFE hose if fuel smell cannot be tolerated. Aeroquip Startlite hose may weep fuel smell.

It seems Teflon is the way to go.
That's interesting Fore calls out the startlite specifically because it seems like awesome stuff. I wonder if e85 has less smell.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:17 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

That's interesting Fore calls out the startlite specifically because it seems like awesome stuff. I wonder if e85 has less smell.
I am just researching the issue on line and one post I read the guy says his smells with regular gas and not with E85, so I guess it does have less odor.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:20 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

The more I search the more I see this is a very common issue. I wish I had known about it before but at least now I am pretty sure what the issue is. Luckily, on the ECS system there is not much fuel line involved. I will change it all out to Teflon when I have a chance.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:30 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

did you drop the tank to install it? if the crossover tube doesnt get reinstalled exactly right it will smell of fuel inside the car.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:43 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by White_Lightning
did you drop the tank to install it? if the crossover tube doesnt get reinstalled exactly right it will smell of fuel inside the car.
No dropping of tank. Install thread....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...el-system.html

Think I am going to go with this line when I make the change.

http://www.techafx.com/catalog/49
Old 07-26-2014, 03:51 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

After some research you may be on to something about the hose. Not sure why any manufacturer would produce a hose that could weep gas odor. Seems like Fore should eliminate one hose and simply use the teflon lined!
Old 07-26-2014, 03:55 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by saplumr
After some research you may be on to something about the hose. Not sure why any manufacturer would produce a hose that could weep gas odor. Seems like Fore should eliminate one hose and simply use the teflon lined!
I'm guessing it's the cost and because the Teflon line seems to need special fittings and be a little more work to put together. I will never use anything besides PTFE again. My garage smells like a gas station.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:03 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm guessing it's the cost and because the Teflon line seems to need special fittings and be a little more work to put together. I will never use anything besides PTFE again. My garage smells like a gas station.
When you get into the cost of what we can end up spending, the cost of a hose should be a minor detail if it's necessary. Hope you eliminate your problem.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:52 AM
C6smackdown
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to run the ECS fuel system. I ripped it out cause it smelled like my garage was gonna blow up if someone lit a match. It was ridiculous given the cost.
I went with all PTFE, and the smell is 100% gone. The fittings are kind of a pain in the rear, but after you've done a few of them the rest fly together. It's well worth the additional 150 bucks.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:47 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by C6smackdown
I used to run the ECS fuel system. I ripped it out cause it smelled like my garage was gonna blow up if someone lit a match. It was ridiculous given the cost.
I went with all PTFE, and the smell is 100% gone. The fittings are kind of a pain in the rear, but after you've done a few of them the rest fly together. It's well worth the additional 150 bucks.
When I reached what fuel system to go with I never saw anything negative like this. Shame to only find out after. I still thing its a great system and would still have used it. I just would have used better lines.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel smell..... ideas ??

Quick Reply: Fuel smell..... ideas ??