C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A and SMOG in California

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:38 PM
psxer989
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default A&A and SMOG in California

Andy supercharged my high mileage c6 A6 last year (over 140k). It was a conservative tune per my request. I need to get it smogged in the next couple months. Do I need to worry about passing? Anyone in California have any issues passing?

Larry
Old 07-22-2014, 03:35 PM
VetteAwe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The A & A kit received CARB certification last year. It should not be a problem to pass smog, unless there are other emissions issues like headers on your Vette. Get the CARB number from Andy and present it at the time you get to the facility. I have an A & A kit that was installed by A & A also. Mine past last year based solely on the the Vortech CARB number that was stamped on the V-2 head unit.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by psxer989
Andy supercharged my high mileage c6 A6 last year (over 140k). It was a conservative tune per my request. I need to get it smogged in the next couple months. Do I need to worry about passing? Anyone in California have any issues passing?

Larry
Good question. I plan on having A&A install a V-3 Si carb certified S/C so I hope there are no issues since I live in CA.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Good question. I plan on having A&A install a V-3 Si carb certified S/C so I hope there are no issues since I live in CA.
CARB certified means it's good to go in California. Technically, you're supposed to only be running the supplied CARB-approved tune for it to be legal. Not that anyone would likely know if you did otherwise.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

What I'm curious about is how many CA smog check stations have finally gone to the ODB II machines instead of the sniffer.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
What I'm curious about is how many CA smog check stations have finally gone to the ODB II machines instead of the sniffer.
We just got our new equipment, though it's not being used yet. I'm not a smog tech, so I don't pay much attention. But the sniffer should be gone soon enough -- at least for newer cars. I'm sure it won't be long before it's required to have that new system up and running.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:51 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Streetk14
CARB certified means it's good to go in California. Technically, you're supposed to only be running the supplied CARB-approved tune for it to be legal. Not that anyone would likely know if you did otherwise.
How about two tuning files, one for emissions check and the other for a little better performance, however in Cali we are limited with our crappy 91 octane fuel. Just need the hand held programmer to swap.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:48 AM
Conv_GSDriver
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
For what i'm reading, if that facility has already upgraded to the STAR system, then it also employs the OBDII plugs.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

How about two tuning files, one for emissions check and the other for a little better performance, however in Cali we are limited with our crappy 91 octane fuel. Just need the hand held programmer to swap.
The truth is that it probably doesn't matter one bit for testing purposes. As long as you have CARB certification numbers on aftermarket parts, and your OBD2 monitors are all set (with no CEL on), then you should be good to go.

If the new equipment is somehow able to read calibration numbers out of our PCMs -- and determine if it's an OEM or CARB-approved aftermarket tune -- then we might be in trouble. I highly doubt that's the case, though. I don't see how the government would be able to keep a master list on file like that.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:57 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Streetk14
The truth is that it probably doesn't matter one bit for testing purposes. As long as you have CARB certification numbers on aftermarket parts, and your OBD2 monitors are all set (with no CEL on), then you should be good to go.

If the new equipment is somehow able to read calibration numbers out of our PCMs -- and determine if it's an OEM or CARB-approved aftermarket tune -- then we might be in trouble. I highly doubt that's the case, though. I don't see how the government would be able to keep a master list on file like that.
Sounds Good!

For those who are running A&A V3 Si CARB CERTIFIED S/C - I understand that a 4" pulley is used vs. 3.8" achieving about 520 rwhp. Is that what people are experiencing?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:13 PM
psxer989
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I'll get my car smogged in the next couple weeks and report back. Thanks for all the responses.

Larry
Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Sounds Good!

For those who are running A&A V3 Si CARB CERTIFIED S/C - I understand that a 4" pulley is used vs. 3.8" achieving about 520 rwhp. Is that what people are experiencing?
I don't have the answer to that, but I don't think there would be any problem with you changing the pulley to whatever you want and having the tune modified as needed. No smog guy is going to have a clue on the pulley size or the tune.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:25 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by psxer989

Larry
I had my C5 SuperCharged and tuned by Andy at A&A, earlier this year. Passed smog test the following week.
They looked at the CARB sticker on the SC, did the test, no problems.
Everything else on mine is stock, as well.

Don
Old 07-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Does anyone know if CARB documentation is available for the older A&A kits in order to pass CA emissions visual inspection? I have a A&A Vortech V-2 Si-Trim supercharger kit that was installed in Sept. '09 but there is no CARB number on the head unit.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:03 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

"shouldn't" have any problems
Old 07-24-2014, 12:09 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

i still do not see them actually keeping track of all OEM calibrations, and the aftermarket calibration that goes with the aftermarket part . In addition all the different calibrations for various different factory strategies files. just doesn't make sense to me. the OBDII they do now is just checking vehicle emissions readiness tests.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
"shouldn't" have any problems
The problem is that my car failed the "visual" portion of the inspection because I didn't have a CARB number for the supercharger kit. Can A&A provide any documentation that I can show the inspector that my kit is CARB certified in California?

Get notified of new replies

To A&A and SMOG in California

Old 07-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
i still do not see them actually keeping track of all OEM calibrations, and the aftermarket calibration that goes with the aftermarket part . In addition all the different calibrations for various different factory strategies files. just doesn't make sense to me. the OBDII they do now is just checking vehicle emissions readiness tests.
I also notice under Vortech's carb certification (D-213-27) that 7# of boost is maximum for 2008-9 LS3. How would they know if you went down one pulley size to increase boost? From what I have seen the smog tech's do not perform WOT tests. Maybe, more boosted air and gas more emissions? But, still that would only show up in a WOT test.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Boat Racer
The problem is that my car failed the "visual" portion of the inspection because I didn't have a CARB number for the supercharger kit. Can A&A provide any documentation that I can show the inspector that my kit is CARB certified in California?

That's shocking because all S and T head units should have the CARB EO stamped on them. You may need to call Vortech, and send the head unit back to them.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tlove32
That's shocking because all S and T head units should have the CARB EO stamped on them. You may need to call Vortech, and send the head unit back to them.
Actually, the passing of CARB was done by A&A Corvette, not Vortech, and it was only in the last 3 years or so. So if you bought one before that, it wouldn't have had a CARB # yet.

Like many regulations, the CARB approval process is absurd and expensive. All centris have the same tech (most have the same head units), so the smog output should be identical. But of course they have to do it for each model of supercharger on each model of car. So the CARB number A&A earned is useless for Camaros, even the ones with LS3's. And C7's.

Pointless government regulations are pointless.

Quick Reply: A&A and SMOG in California