C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?'s on Centrifugal S/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Default ?'s on Centrifugal S/C

I hoping those who have installed Centrifugal S/C can answer some questions.

1. How did the low end torque or response change after the installation of a Centrifugal S/C? Soggy, the same or better?

2. How did you MPG change at cruise speeds, obviously at WOT they did not improve. Worse, same or better?

3. I interested in the A&A S/C kit V3- Si Trim for my stock 2008 LS3, manual coupe, Z51, NPP with 60k miles. Is that considered too many miles for a S/C? I have never tracked the car, mostly spirited highway miles.

I appreciate your responses,

Thank You.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 07-20-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

1. Better
2. Same
3. No
Old 07-19-2014, 11:22 PM
slowzoh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Unreal said, but I would do a T trim now just in case you ever want more out of it. Cheap upgrade now, $$$ later
Old 07-20-2014, 12:26 AM
boostaholic786
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To be honest, I have a D1SC-1 on my 08 LS3 M6 with supporting mods of course and low end torque is def better. Gas mileage got worse just because I do ALOT more spirited driving but if I just cruise I get 19.5mph-19.8mph... And NO, your motor is just fine to throw on a blower with those miles LS3's LOVE blowers
Old 07-20-2014, 07:52 AM
Impulse20098
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
1. Better
2. Same
3. No
I agree. Exact results on my car.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:34 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by boostaholic786
To be honest, I have a D1SC-1 on my 08 LS3 M6 with supporting mods of course and low end torque is def better. Gas mileage got worse just because I do ALOT more spirited driving but if I just cruise I get 19.5mph-19.8mph... And NO, your motor is just fine to throw on a blower with those miles LS3's LOVE blowers
So why is it you consistently hear that "a n/a setup will be faster than a s/c setup on the street" ( at similar power levels) if the s/c has more power everywhere in the powerband? Just due to traction issues down low?

N/a= h/c/I

Last edited by C U IN REARVEIW; 07-20-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:49 AM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
1. Better
2. Same
3. No
Exactly
Old 07-20-2014, 11:13 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,191 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

1. Easier to show, torque has noticeably increased by 2500:

My car was stock except for LS7 exhaust manifolds before blower.
2. MPG is about the same if I'm not on it.
3. I did the A&A V3-Si and am very happy with it. You need to think about where you want to end up, V3-Si will max out around 730RWHP, so if you think you're going to want more than that, upgrade to the T trim.

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
So why is it you consistently hear that "a n/a setup will be faster than a s/c setup on the street" ( at similar power levels) if the s/c has more power everywhere in the powerband? Just due to traction issues down low?

N/a= h/c/I
Not sure. I just ran a buddy with an N/A 434 LS7 C5Z making the same HP as me yesterday, and put 1.5 cars on him.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

I've seen n/a cars with 30-50rwhp on the dyno less beat on S/C cars. Typically heat soak is the cause. S/C car may dyno 600rwhp on a cool pull with no IAT retard. Then on the street after warming up car is down 60-100rwhp HP. Do a pull againt a 560rwhp n/a car and in 1st the s/c car maybe making 600, by the time it hits 2nd it may make 550 because of heat soak, then 3rd gear it is down to 500rwhp and the n/a car starts walking away. I made those numbers up but they are very realistic if you don't have a good intercooler/cooling system for the intake temps. ECS/A&A kits don't usually see this, but I've seen eforce cars get stomped on because of it unless they do a few things to address heat.

What you make on one glory pull on the dyno and what your car makes at the top of 3rd gear on a 1/4 mile run can be vastly different.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:36 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Has to be heat soak because two cars with same h.p and same other variables the supercharger vs heads and cam thing doesnt hold water unless the supecharged powerplant loses power once heat soaked.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 AM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Centri doesn't heat soak as bad as u think. Don't get hung up on roots blower info. I had a 654whp 2010 camaro fed by a vortech. We only saw 17 degrees of iat change after tuning for a couple hours and like 17 pulls spread evenly on a dyno. Once you involve creating your own atmosphere in a blower whether by nitrous or methanol injection...those temps become way more stable even with roots blowers...but with a centri, it's cake. I am a firm believer in a centri blower over a NA build. Cam plus centri is a track monster. If you aren't making 620+ at the wheels with boost plus cam you are doing something wrong. Hahaha! Well...you could be way conservative on the boost I guess. A waste.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan70

3. I did the A&A V3-Si and am very happy with it. You need to think about where you want to end up, V3-Si will max out around 730RWHP, so if you think you're going to want more than that, upgrade to the T trim.

Not sure. I just ran a buddy with an N/A 434 LS7 C5Z making the same HP as me yesterday, and put 1.5 cars on him.
Guys thanks for the responses, very helpful. Keep them coming and I invite those who want to discuss heat soak issues.

Evan70 - Thanks for the dyno graph. That answers my question with documentation.

I am leaning towards V-3 Si trim because I do not plan upgrading to a higher hp level. However, thanks for the heads up Slowzoh.

A&A Corvettes offers the V-3 Si Vortech S/C with their pulley/bracket system and intercooler. Belt slippage and heat soak are the cons with S/C's and A&A Corvettes have done their homework to minimizing these issues. They are a reputable company who sell, considered a top tier installer and dyno tune on site in So. CA. I'm in N. CA so a drive down to their facility might be the way to go.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 07-20-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

If you are driving down I would goto CMS in socal.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:35 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
A&A Corvettes offers the V-3 Si Vortech S/C with their pulley/bracket system and intercooler. Belt slippage and heat soak are the cons with S/C's and A&A Corvettes have done their homework to minimizing these issues. They are a reputable company who sell, considered a top tier installer and dyno tune on site in So. CA. I'm in N. CA so a drive down to their facility might be the way to go.
I did a lot of debating between roots style, cam/heads and centri, and after a year of going back and forth, I finally decided on centri. Was looking at both ECS and A&A, and for me the tipping point was that the local installer I trust recommended A&A and that I could get the A&A with V3-Si and Dewitts radiator with integrated engine oil cooler for the same price as the ECS without the radiator. Also, the A&A has what I think is a better intercooler design, which will help with keeping power loss to a minimum on repeated runs.

Since you're in CA, I would definitely take the car down to A&A and let them do the install and tuning.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:49 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Was that from a dig?
Old 07-20-2014, 03:08 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
Was that from a dig?
No, from a roll in 3rd at about 65. We're both on street tires, so from a stop would just tell who could spin the tires the least.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I did a lot of debating between roots style, cam/heads and centri, and after a year of going back and forth, I finally decided on centri. Was looking at both ECS and A&A, and for me the tipping point was that the local installer I trust recommended A&A and that I could get the A&A with V3-Si and Dewitts radiator with integrated engine oil cooler for the same price as the ECS without the radiator. Also, the A&A has what I think is a better intercooler design, which will help with keeping power loss to a minimum on repeated runs.

Since you're in CA, I would definitely take the car down to A&A and let them do the install and tuning.
As someone that has had both kits, I disagree and think the ECS intercooler is a better setup. Only reason I would stick with A&A is if you need a carb legal kit, then it is the best choice. If carb isn't a concern the ECS kit is better.

Get notified of new replies

To ?'s on Centrifugal S/C

Old 07-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
I hoping those who have installed Centrifugal S/C can answer some questions.

1. How did the low end torque or response change after the installation of a Centrifugal S/C? Soggy, the same or better?

2. How did you MPG change at cruise speeds, obviously at WOT they did not improve. Worse, same or better?

3. I interested in the A&A S/C kit V3- Si Trim for my stock 2008 LS3, manual coupe, Z51, NPP with 60k miles. Is that considered too many miles for a S/C? I have never tracked the car, mostly spirited highway miles.

I appreciate your responses,

Thank You.
I really like my A&A S/C kit V2- Si Trim for my stock 2007 LS2 but I did notice a slight 1.5 mpg loss in fuel economy at a 70 mph cruise speed. I have the A6 auto with the 2:56 gears and was able to get about 30 mpg before the supercharger installation at 70 mph. Now, the best that I have been able to get is 28.5 mpg which I consider well worth the small increase in gas cost for the extra 200 hp (with LT headers and Meth injection).
Old 07-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

The A&A kit has a better intercooler than ECS small intercooler but not their big one. If you want to push the limits I think the ECS is a better design. Actually if you take cost out of the equation the ECS kit is better in every way.

If you notice the people with A&A kits are always upgrading stuff on their kits where as you never see that with the ECS kits.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Disagree. I saw better IATs with the "smaller" fmic. The A&A was a tube and fine core compared to a very nice bar and plate. Maybe they changed it, but the ECS core, even if it is smaller was a better unit from my experience. Size isn't everything.

Quick Reply: ?'s on Centrifugal S/C