C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnuson Heartbeat or E-force S/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
If you don't have the cooling capacity, you're right, it matters little. If you have the cooling capacity, it will run cooler with a cooler 'stat. Plain and simple. Mine runs 175ish as long as I'm moving. With the stock 'stat, it ran closer to 200. I very rarely see anything over 185 even in 90+ degree OAT's.
For the vast majority of people, normal operating temps will be well above 180F. In that case, a 160 stat is pointless. If you are driving around in Siberian winters, YMMV.

I'd defy anyone to get a respected tuner here on the west coast explain with science how a thermostat makes any difference. There is simply no scientific basis for a car running cooler based on when the cooling starts, unless you are in a really cold climate and your regular operating temps are below 180F. I might add that GM has a 180 stat in there for a reason - anything below that is considered below proper operating temps.

But hey, it's inexpensive. A cheap placebo.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:59 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

I had a 2011 Camaro SS and had a Edelbrock supercharger and hated it. The heat was crazy and I was limited on how much power I could make. I now have a 2013 Z06 with a A&A Vortec supercharger. Not near as much heat and it looks sooo much better and right out of the box will give you more power than the Edelbrock. I was at 460RWHP stock and now I'm at 643RWHP with supercharger and American racing headers. I guess what I'm saying is that sure most people don't plan on wanting big power but once you get a little power you ALWAYS want more... Go with the system that will let you make more power if you want to down the road.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
For the vast majority of people, normal operating temps will be well above 180F. In that case, a 160 stat is pointless. If you are driving around in Siberian winters, YMMV.

I'd defy anyone to get a respected tuner here on the west coast explain with science how a thermostat makes any difference. There is simply no scientific basis for a car running cooler based on when the cooling starts, unless you are in a really cold climate and your regular operating temps are below 180F. I might add that GM has a 180 stat in there for a reason - anything below that is considered below proper operating temps.

GM does not use a 180 thermostat....
Old 07-19-2014, 08:38 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator

Umm, Southeast TX doesn't quite equal Siberia. We haven't had triple digit temps this year, but my last '08 M6 coupe went through the summer of the worst drought and highest temps in Texas history (2011). If you don't have a honkin' air/air h/e or a bunch of oil coolers in front of the radiator, cool temps are not that hard to have. A 160 degree 'stat is a big part of the equation. It does help to have the fans tuned to come on early like StreetK14 mentioned. If you choose not to believe that, so be it.

Quick Reply: Magnuson Heartbeat or E-force S/C