C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Procharger I-1 initial review.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 10:34 AM
DJD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger I-1 initial review.....

I don't normally post much or say much or post much b/c most of anything I can think of has been talked about already but here goes....

Last October I had the chance to talk to Walt Sipp, he is Prochargers motorcycle guy but has been my go to guy for questions or issues that I have come across, if I have to recommend anyone to talk to about their products he is the guy, Walt sorry if you read this and get bombarded with non motocycle system question.

Last october I talked to Walt about what all this system would include, how the beta testing would go, what kind of tests they would do to my car and what all I would need to do to help them with their goals. So I scheduled a time for my dad and I to go up to Lenexa and check out their shop, ask questions about the system, warranty issues, testing and finally me driving the car back home to have fun. After getting all the questions answered and feeling comfortable enough to ahead and leave the car their so they could install the system on their first customer car, Dad and I left. Fast forward 2 months, the car was still in Lenexa, they had a few minor issues getting the system to run like they wanted, nothing major and then the car was done. I went to pick up the car. They use a mustang dyno to test all their cars on, my car stock with just a corsa extreme axle back made 389rwhp and 377rwtq through an A6. After the blower was installed and retuned for 7 Pounds of boost, my car made 530rwhp and 442rwtq. The system requires 30hp to run from what I was told. These would be the numbers for the next few months until I installed the Kooks headers.

The guas at procharger gave me the works. Along with the blower, they gave me the black s/c which is an option, the optional touchscreen display, a SCT hand tuner to go along with the package. The touchscreen has the 4 different modes of touring, sport, competition and custom, at the time of getting the car back custom mode was not available to me yet, I would not have the custom mode until after headers.

Touring mode: great for when you are just chilling on the interstate or in town and have no need for the initial boost and lack of traction through my crappy good year run flats. Gas mileage is the name of the game for this mode, but b/c I had not driven my car for 2 months, I can not give an accurate description of mileage other then many many smiles per mile.

Sport: the boost does not come on full bore untI'll 3500 rpm then it is 7 pounds of boost until redline. This mode is great for street use b/c it allowed me to have some fun with a little boost and then by the time it fully kicked in I was moving. As far as cruising around in sport mode? No different then touring or competition unless you are an idiot and decide to punch it from a red light and then you will just spin the tires. This mode will not negatively hurt gas mileage as I used this mode alota lot before the custom mode.

Competition: one word: Scary. To some of you, the power I make now is nothing new, to me it was a monster. I put 500 miles on the car the first weekend I got it, then it snowed on my way back home, not fun. On the way home, it was roughly mid 30s out, I was getting on the interstate, tires still cold and the ground clearly not warmed up and decided to punch it at 65, tires broke loose and I was wagging my tail end at the other cars that were far enough back to watch. after that I put the system in touring mode and drove home so it could sit until I got the headers on and could get back to Lenexa. But so far this mode is the most rewarding as full boost comes on at 2k rpm. Bye-bye tires.

Fast forward to April, the weather is nice, the Kooks 17/8 headers have been jet hot coated with 2000 degree protection and the car is on its way to Lenexa. Walt kept in touch with me to let me know how it was doing, the car made 545rwhp at 6k rpm where I had the fuel shutoff so as to not ever risk over revving the motor, the torque went up to 525. So I gained 16rwhp and 89rwtq with just 1 pound increase in boost.

I now have the custom mode, it took me awhile to figure it out b/c computers aren't my friend, but just yesterday I took the car for a spin, didn't get to crazy, but the boost when WOT is set for half a pound of boost increase from 2k-6k with a starting boost curve of 3 pounds. This car screams! I will try to get pics up loaded when I have a computer handy, but if anyone has questions, I will answer then ASAP. But as of right now, I can't say enough about how awesome this system is! The torque is what I love most, my dad enjoys the competition mode b/c he has now become a boost junkie. I have a couple fly-by videos and the 3 Dyno sheets, look up 620Racing, Look for a couple videos by me, Daniel Daharsh. I know I am forgetting things so please don't hesitate to ask. Also, sorry this is so long.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Gabbiani
Racer

Would love to see some dyno graphs or even tuning logs from different modes.

I like the idea. Especially on heavier vehicles. I still think the package is a hard sale on a vette. ECS kits make good torque with a $0.10 washer. (Ok I know it is a bit more elaborate) And even the other kits without restrictors make fair torque. Want to see some graphs of yours. I still think centrifugals are the easiest to package on most cars. The ability to make more torque sooner will be a big win for Procharger if they can do it competitively.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:35 AM
DJD
Advanced

This is the baseline.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:48 AM
DJD
Advanced

Before the headers.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:50 AM
DJD
Advanced

After the headers, and with 8 pounds of boost. Sorry the pictures are so crappy.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:59 AM
DJD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gabbiani
Would love to see some dyno graphs or even tuning logs from different modes.

I like the idea. Especially on heavier vehicles. I still think the package is a hard sale on a vette. ECS kits make good torque with a $0.10 washer. (Ok I know it is a bit more elaborate) And even the other kits without restrictors make fair torque. Want to see some graphs of yours. I still think centrifugals are the easiest to package on most cars. The ability to make more torque sooner will be a big win for Procharger if they can do it competitively.

Thanks for sharing.
Unfortunately I don't have the tuning logs, but I can check with procharger to see if Thats something they would be willing to let me have/share with whoever is interested.

I agree the package is a hard sale, especially with their not being much info out there, mustangs and camaros already have the system and have had for months before the corvette, more popular vehicles and the R&D takes awhile. ECS has great systems, and they seem to be more popular for torque, the instant torque down low and centri power up to is what I liked most, that and the cost was far cheaper for me as I am the first customer car to have this system. Time will tell if the cost of this system pans out for those looking for s/c power. I hope it does, I will upload more pics this weekend with the touchscreen.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:25 AM
DJD
Advanced

Try this link for a fly by video I took...

If this link does not work. Go to YouTube and type in I-1 procharged 2008 corvette

Last edited by DJD; 06-29-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you plan on going to the track?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:02 AM
DJD
Advanced

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
Do you plan on going to the track?
Drag strip, yes. Once the crappy good years are shot I will be upgrading. I have started my research on that.

Running laps around a track, more then likely no. I do not have the experience with that kind of driving and it would be a nightmare. Drag racing was the real reason I wanted this system, that and more torque.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Gabbiani
Racer

It does make boost early. That's a plus.

Something ugly happens at 5000rpms on that last graph. Boost is constant but something hiccups.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:38 PM
DJD
Advanced

Something ugly happens at 5000rpms on that last graph. Boost is constant but something hiccups.
Something does happen, I'm not sure what though b/c it doesn't have any drop off in power when getting on it. I will have to check into that.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:52 PM
DJD
Advanced

Here is an updated video of the touch screen and how simple it truly is to go from one mode to another. The video is shaky sorry about that. I will be getting a go pro to help with future videos.

again, sorry the video is shaky.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:41 PM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Every now and then, for some reason the sample rate in our dyno weirds out for a moment. The computer keeps logging, but it shows up as a flat part of the graph.

We have upgraded computers since then, and will be doing a full upgrade and overhaul of our Dyno this winter when we slow down.

Its given us 10-12+ years of good service, its long overdue.

Get notified of new replies

To Procharger I-1 initial review.....

Quick Reply: Procharger I-1 initial review.....