C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nit pick my build/need some warm fuzzies

Old 04-19-2014, 01:12 PM
GravelSurfer83
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Nit pick my build/need some warm fuzzies

To start off, hi everyone
I dont post very often but have been a member for a few years. I am on my 3rd corvette and probably my 100th ls powered car. None of that matters because none of them have been FI

The car 2006 m6 z51 with 50k on the odo and every thing is stock. With paper plates on

My goal is as much power as posable haha

The car is not my dd and i have an 06 gto to play with as well that is not my dd either.

I want a centri kit, leaning towards the ecs kit at the moment.

I havent bought a single part yet so none of this is set in stone and can be changed at any time.

presumed parts list
ecs 1500 kit (blacked out)
lq9 heads probably from patriot performance
ls9 head gaskets
arp head studs
Custom grind cam kit (unsure who to go thru)
c5r chain
new oil pump (unsure which one)
damper (unsure brand)
dewitts or rsd cut down rad with twin fan
160 stat
jba coated 1 7/8 headers w/z06 mid and axle back
lifters (unsure brand/style)
push rods (unsure size/brand)
gm gasket kit
ported tb and intake
rxt clutch
Keeping the stock ls2 bottom end
no desire to buy a 10k short block. If or when i put a window or #7 thru the head i will buy another ls2 short block.
I am sure i am missing some parts but that is the gist of it

Now for one of the 800 questions i have. With an unrestricted 1500 kit can i run on 93 and use meth for safety. Meaning i dont want a meth dependent tune but rather meth for the safety of the motor. If i can, how the hell do i do that haha

What fuel system to run? I am thinking this build will put me in the 700 rwhp range. I was thinking a 900 hp fuel system for good measure. I do have e85 in my area but it leaves me stuck on road trips. No e85 between me and dallas where all of my family lives.

I live in shreveport and there isnt a local shop. The tune is what scares me. I dont trust myself to do it. I know some shops will do remote tuning but i dont have any exp in or with that. Thoughts?

OR am i way overbuilding this? i way overbuilt my gto but i have put over 70k on the odo since the build with out a single problem other than snapping the stock driveshaft. But my goat is only putting 450 to tire. I know it is a completely diff build but it makes me feel safe haha

Any and all opinions or advice is welcomed and appreciated. And yes i know about the search button and google
Old 04-19-2014, 01:24 PM
getburnt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ECS stage 1 fuel system. Install is a breeze. And FIC for injectors (i went with 80lb)

Call Colorado Speed for the cam. They are awesome to work with and will custom spec you a cam pretty cheap.

If you have the extra cash for heads id go with trickflows.

I would turn your z06 hpipe into an X as well using magnaflows xpipe insert. Its a very cheap option compared to the $500 xpipes you see.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:25 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like you have all your bases covered for your build, with all that I would have just sold you my car
Old 04-19-2014, 01:27 PM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that's how we built those cars here for as much as you can my friend
Build overview:
- 427 CI LS7X Warhawk aluminum block @ 9.0:1 compression ratio + 6bolt heads.
- Power Adder: TTi C6 Z06 Twin Turbo kit @ 15lbs of boost.
- A&A Fuel system
- 95lbs low-impedance injectors + Versafueler converter
- Custom fabricated exhaust utilizing stock butterfly valves.
- Custom designed exhaust valve control by throttle position.

Cooling:
- Ron Davis/Dewitts aluminum radiator + built in engine oil cooler
- 80% distilled water + 20% anti corrosion coolant mix.
- 160 degree thermostat.
- Plus one of my custom cooling creations

Power Delivery:
- Spec twin-disk clutch
- 345 Nitto 05R's

Tuning:
ProEFI

no matter you'll get a better replay but I want you to take a look on one of my friends project.

goodluck
--Mubarak.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:40 PM
GravelSurfer83
Advanced

Originally Posted by getburnt
ECS stage 1 fuel system. Install is a breeze. And FIC for injectors (i went with 80lb)

Call Colorado Speed for the cam. They are awesome to work with and will custom spec you a cam pretty cheap.

If you have the extra cash for heads id go with trickflows.

I would turn your z06 hpipe into an X as well using magnaflows xpipe insert. Its a very cheap option compared to the $500 xpipes you see.
I chose the lq9 heads cause they are pretty cheap and will lower my comp a few points making it a little safer for the motor. All of the builds i have looked at the really nice heads didnt gain much until big cubes were thrown in. I will give cospeed a call for the cam. The x pipe sounds like a better deal as well. Thank you for your time/unput

Originally Posted by gregs94
Sounds like you have all your bases covered for your build, with all that I would have just sold you my car
I spent months looking at the c6 for sale section. Couldnt find what i was looking for. I was looking for a z06 or highly modded base. I found mine for 20K. Although it is stock i have a nice savings built up that i didnt use to buy a z06. But i would have bought a modded car for the right price.

Originally Posted by baro0k@eXtermination
that's how we built those cars here for as much as you can my friend
Build overview:
- 427 CI LS7X Warhawk aluminum block @ 9.0:1 compression ratio + 6bolt heads.
- Power Adder: TTi C6 Z06 Twin Turbo kit @ 15lbs of boost.
- A&A Fuel system
- 95lbs low-impedance injectors + Versafueler converter
- Custom fabricated exhaust utilizing stock butterfly valves.
- Custom designed exhaust valve control by throttle position.

Cooling:
- Ron Davis/Dewitts aluminum radiator + built in engine oil cooler
- 80% distilled water + 20% anti corrosion coolant mix.
- 160 degree thermostat.
- Plus one of my custom cooling creations

Power Delivery:
- Spec twin-disk clutch
- 345 Nitto 05R's

Tuning:
ProEFI

no matter you'll get a better replay but I want you to take a look on one of my friends project.

goodluck
--Mubarak.
That sounds like an absolute beast. And it also makes my pockets feel shallow haha
Old 04-19-2014, 01:49 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I would look at LSA heads instead of LQ9.

Why cut down radiator? No need really and ECS kit has a good flowing dongle/filter. I put one in last month but really it was pain for no gain.

I like IW dampers, never had an issue with them. I perfer the mantic 9k over the RXT. Seen too many issues with the RXT but if you get one that works they are great.

Unrestricted the novi 1500 will make ~800rwhp, and that won't be safe without meth on a stock bottom end. Built bottom end with a lot lower compression maybe, but not on a stock one and 91-93 octane.

Honestly I would just start with an ECS kit, meth, headers, clutch. That should be a solid 650rwhp car. Then go from there. That will be a good solid car and very traction limited. From there add drag radials and work on hooking it.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:10 PM
GravelSurfer83
Advanced

Originally Posted by Unreal
I would look at LSA heads instead of LQ9.

Why cut down radiator? No need really and ECS kit has a good flowing dongle/filter. I put one in last month but really it was pain for no gain.

I like IW dampers, never had an issue with them. I perfer the mantic 9k over the RXT. Seen too many issues with the RXT but if you get one that works they are great.

Unrestricted the novi 1500 will make ~800rwhp, and that won't be safe without meth on a stock bottom end. Built bottom end with a lot lower compression maybe, but not on a stock one and 91-93 octane.

Honestly I would just start with an ECS kit, meth, headers, clutch. That should be a solid 650rwhp car. Then go from there. That will be a good solid car and very traction limited. From there add drag radials and work on hooking it.
Havent looked to much at the lsa heads. i will look into them. Are lsa heads square port? I was looking into the cut down for future mods. And it gets extremely hot here. 110 plus 100% humidity. I know the actual temps in az are higher but no humidity. Was hoping it would keep the car cooler as well. As far as the clutch i just picked it based on similar cars with similar builds.

So you wouldnt even suggest a cam swap? I didnt realize the uncorked version would do over 800. That is deff over what i would want to run on stock bottom.

My thinking was to make the motor breath as easy as posable with heads cam exhaust so i wouldnt have to run the blower as hard and keeping my iat and under hood temps down. I am fine with running meth. i would just like to not have a meth dependent tune. What power could i make without being meth dependent? i know there are alot of variables but round about?

Lastly your thoughts on just an ecs kit, headers, meth and clutch sounds like a very reasonable build with good power. And alot cheaper haha. instead of buying parts over the next couple of weeks i could buy that now and be done for a while hmmmm. Something worth thinking about. The tune is what still bothers me. Thank you for your thoughts and input
Old 04-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Cam is useful but not needed for that power level. If you do heads do a cam, but hell, just do headers, meth, clutch, tires, blower and 650rwhp is very doable.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:22 PM
NSANEC6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good tuners and shops are very hard to find. I have heard some good things about Futral Motorsports for tuning and motor builds. I can certainly tell you where not to go in Louisiana. Steven Fereday at LMR did a great job tuning my car but they are a bit of a drive from you. Talk to Doug at ECS he might be able to set you up with a pretty good tune if you have an EFI live or HP Tuner.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:55 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

No way would I pull the heads off or port anything. I wouldn't change the clutch unless it was crap or you're a hard core qtr mile junkie. Add the blower, a 224/234 116+2 cam (I really like that one) with supporting valvetrain, meth, and LT headers. At that point, set the boost at as much as you or your tuner are comfortable with. Then....enjoy it
Old 04-19-2014, 07:26 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

No need for heads and cam for 700hp.

Ecs kit without the restrictor, their stage 1 fuel, alky, and headers will get you there.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:23 AM
GravelSurfer83
Advanced

Not breaking into my motor is sounding better haha.I think I will take the suggestions. Ecs kit, meth, Lt, stage 1 fuel and a clutch. Thanks everybody for the input and advice. I am hoping I can put down 700.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Some good suggestions here. The one thing I'd add is that I wouldn't lower the compression. Grab a set of LS6 Patriot heads if you want something better than stock and don't want to change to a square port manifold. No need to lower the compression on these builds. I've seen it hurt power (obviously) and fuel economy. Not worth it, especially if you're going to run meth.

ECS seems to make around 700 rwhp on most of their 1500 builds with meth and headers. Maybe a little less on a stock LS2. They tune all their cars "meth dependent", though. With 100% meth, it's almost a necessity since a lot of your fueling is coming from the meth. You can put some safeguards in that will help your engine from going kaboom if your meth system fails.

I'd leave the throttle body and intake alone, but that's just me. Add a cam if you want more power down the line. The DeWitts radiator is a great choice, but I'd get a standard height version.

That's about all I got.

Get notified of new replies

To Nit pick my build/need some warm fuzzies

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nit pick my build/need some warm fuzzies