C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meth fitting leaking :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Meth fitting leaking :(

So I put the car back on the dyno for some WOT tuning. I'm still waiting for my oil cap breather with check valve for doing any more drive ability tuning.

Right off the bat I noticed one of the meth fittings on the passenger side was spraying meth all the way out to the fender and on the floor. A good deal of meth was being lost and I'm not super comfortable about it spraying about in a hot engine bay either. Tried to fix it twice and still kept spraying out.

I'm going to try to cut the line with a razor blade and also sand it down square but I really have no idea how I want to test the system. There's a test button but would it be safe to spray meth into the intake without the car being WOT? I guess my only other option would be to remove both meth nozzles and attempt to spray it into a bucket and see if it still leaks?

Good news is the car isn't pissing out any oil and hp/tq numbers went up to 647/550 to the wheels. I figured with the meth running full tilt and the rest of the catch can system plumbed correctly I would get back to the other numbers of 664/590 fairly easily and maybe push towards 700whp.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Well more crappy news. Looks like the fitting is leaking from both the hose end and where it screws into the charge pipe. So right now I'm considering buying a new charge pipe or having someone make one. I'll need the MAF fitting, IAT sensor fitting and two methanol fittings. I would rather have bungs welded on so they can be cranked down fairly tight but I know how expensive this stuff can get. I'm leaving in a few months for deployment so unless it can happen quickly I may be just waiting it out.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

What brand kit? Never had a single issue with my alky kit. All the kits that run plastic lines do this crap. Swap to all SS lines and enjoy it.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:46 PM
playtoy
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Kadorja
So I put the car back on the dyno for some WOT tuning. I'm still waiting for my oil cap breather with check valve for doing any more drive ability tuning.
I'm confused here. Why would you wait for the breather for drive ability tuning but you will run it wide open on the dyno?

And I agree with the above. Get rid of the poly lines and put the stainless lines for leak free operation and safety.

Last edited by playtoy; 04-19-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

Get rid of that garbage push lock meth system and do an alky control. Seen so many leak from push lock stuff that I don't get why anyone would ever do it.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 04-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoeAZHP
Get rid of that garbage push lock meth system and do an alky control. Seen so many leak from push lock stuff that I don't get why anyone would ever do it.
I don't get it either. Tell people this time and time again yet they still do it. Then they leak all over and they have to swap and spend more money. Meth linse aren't a place to cheap out on but I think some of the other kits are cheaper.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Originally Posted by playtoy
I'm confused here. Why would you wait for the breather for drive ability tuning but you will run it wide open on the dyno?

And I agree with the above. Get rid of the poly lines and put the stainless lines for leak free operation and safety.
There's no issue with running it WOT. The breather vents the crankcase along with the catch can. The drive ability issue is that it's pulling a lot of un-metered air at part throttle (check valve closes during WOT). Its been a mess getting the catch can to work properly but RX Performance has definitely helped me out a ton with their instructions they have online. I'm just waiting for a breather with a check valve to come in.

Originally Posted by JoeAZHP
Originally Posted by Unreal
I don't get it either. Tell people this time and time again yet they still do it. Then they leak all over and they have to swap and spend more money. Meth linse aren't a place to cheap out on but I think some of the other kits are cheaper.
The kit was on the car already but in all honesty everything up to the 2nd nozzle is perfect. I've had no issues with it leaking anywhere. It was supposedly a direct add on from AEM (which is the kit on the car as well) but doesn't look like the stock one or any of the ones referenced in the pictures. I bought it months ago and since it's already on the car I figured I'm screwed as of right now. I may buy another fitting and see how well it works but I don't know if I'll end up getting another crappy one or the one that actually works.

I can either try to contact AEM to verify if it is one of their nozzles or just try to purchase another one and hope it's one of their good ones. I need it to last until July... then I can spend all my deployment money once I get back.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I would just plan on replacing it all and keeping a very close eye on it. Burning the car down because those lines constantly leak/split/etc isn't something I want to see.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:19 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I doubt the fitting is compatible with meth.

If your going to use that type of line try a compression fitting http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-si...ttings/=rlz1rq
Old 04-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Originally Posted by MARSC6
I doubt the fitting is compatible with meth.

If your going to use that type of line try a compression fitting http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-si...ttings/=rlz1rq
.... it's from a methanol kit....
Old 04-19-2014, 10:56 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

.... it's from a methanol kit....
Most kits are only compatible with a 50% mix.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Most kits are only compatible with a 50% mix.
I see what you're saying. The AEM kits are 100% compatible but they recommend 50/50 for safety reasons.

Anyone know offhand what kits use stainless lines. I can tap this kit right into my pump it looks like I just need the lines, fittings and nozzles.

Edit: I checked out a website that has stainlesss lines and nozzles but they go by GPH. Can't remember what the AEM kit uses for the life of me. I don't want to push too much meth but then again I can turn the controller down as well so it wont kick in max flow.

$250 for everything. Not too horrible. I still may try to get this kit to work (leak free) but it will definitely require a new charge pipe when everything is said and done.

Last edited by Kadorja; 04-19-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:11 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

I see what you're saying. The AEM kits are 100% compatible but they recommend 50/50 for safety reasons.

Anyone know offhand what kits use stainless lines. I can tap this kit right into my pump it looks like I just need the lines, fittings and nozzles.
The alky control kits are all stainless.

I've seen some kits have stainless lines as an upgrade. Maybe the manufacturer of yours has them.

Last edited by MARSC6; 04-19-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:30 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Take it off, buy a alky kit, and live happily every after.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Take it off, buy a alky kit, and live happily every after.
Boy I wish I had money lying around.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:13 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Boy I wish I had money lying around.
I did quick check and push lock fitting are not meant for alcohol. The brass compression fitting I provided a link for earlier are. You should be ok changing over to them if your lines are really compatible with alcohols.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

Anyone have pictures of stainless lines and nozzles?

Get notified of new replies

To Meth fitting leaking :(

Old 04-21-2014, 11:54 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Old 04-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Custom charge pipe? Im looking into getting a new one so I can space everything out better.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:32 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Anyone have pictures of stainless lines and nozzles?
Not a great pic but all I have. These are the brass nozzles that Alky Control comes with and all the lines are braided stainless. The nozzles are not the prettiest, but they work and the brass doesn't get ruined by meth.

Quick Reply: Meth fitting leaking :(