C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new look at the new UPP-Under Pressure Turbo Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Z06-TT, Brok3....let's just solve this simply. You are both right!

Tubular manifolds will never make power. They've never been proven effective on anything! Cast stock manifolds are the only option, and EVERYONE should use them. People who invested in crazy things like headers are just nuts!

Brok3, yep, underhood temps would probably be out of control! So much that the car would catch fire and cause a nuclear melt down! NO CAR has ever made power with a turbo fitted under the hood....EVER. And absolutely NONE of them have ever been used for anything track related. Never an Evo, Supra, Porsche, Subarus, hell even those guys bolting TT setups under the hood of their Gallardo's have NEVER run at the track. Never mind the fact that IAT's from turbos are notoriously lower than PD blowers....the fact is we know the exhaust to be HOT!!!

Face it, I could develop a system that weighed nothing, made 2,000hp safely on a stock block, increasing the fuel economy to 300mpg, it's only emissions would be rose scented oxygen, running on water, would be completely free.....and you would still find something to bitch about!

Let's make this simple....I agreed with you, you're right about everything! Now you don't have to waste your time bickering in this forum any longer. And if for what ever reason you don't like one of our products, you don't have to buy it! America's awesome like that!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:59 AM
sr20dime
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by CK@UPPCOS

Tubular manifolds will never make power. They've never been proven effective on anything! Cast stock manifolds are the only option, and EVERYONE should use them. People who invested in crazy things like headers are just nuts!

Brok3, yep, underhood temps would probably be out of control! So much that the car would catch fire and cause a nuclear melt down! NO CAR has ever made power with a turbo fitted under the hood....EVER. And absolutely NONE of them have ever been used for anything track related. Never an Evo, Supra, Porsche, Subarus, hell even those guys bolting TT setups under the hood of their Gallardo's have NEVER run at the track. Never mind the fact that IAT's from turbos are notoriously lower than PD blowers....the fact is we know the exhaust to be HOT!!!

Face it, I could develop a system that weighed nothing, made 2,000hp safely on a stock block, increasing the fuel economy to 300mpg, it's only emissions would be rose scented oxygen, running on water, would be completely free.....and you would still find something to bitch about!

Let's make this simple....I agreed with you, you're right about everything! Now you don't have to waste your time bickering in this forum any longer. And if for what ever reason you don't like one of our products, you don't have to buy it! America's awesome like that!
CK,
Can I get the upgrade to the kit you mentioned above? Except don't let it emit to much oxygen because I get dizzy and I don't like the smell of roses....
Old 01-29-2014, 08:45 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

How many OEM race cars with turbos run cast manifolds? WRC use tubular, ALMS use tubular (even on diesels), even F1 will be using tubular! Simple answer is you can DESIGN a tubular manifold to be better than a stock cast header. You can change the runner length or size to match your requirements. You can position the turbo where you want and still get nice smooth flow to the turbo. its really is the best solution if you have the time and skill to DESIGN the headers to meet your needs.

However in tight, cramped engine bays that aren't designed for turbos this isn't always a viable option, so you have to resort to other methods of getting exhaust gasses to the turbo(s) like using stock cast manifold.

What people really need to look to do is take the good bit from both and combine into a single unit. Look no further than cast stainless steel tubular headers! Strong, durable, lighter than cast iron, better heat retention than tubular headers with all the benefits in terms of flow of the tubular.... only down side is they cost a lot!

Chris.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:04 PM
HoustonSVT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for more info on the C6Z kit! Pretty please?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

I read the thread title:
A new look at the new UPP-Underpressure Turbo Kits

Cool, I like seeing the new things a company is doing and agree that the quality has definitely moved up the food chain.

I'm not sure how a thread about a company's new turbo kits can digress into a discussion on cast vs. tubular manifolds, under hood engine temps due to turbo location, should I buy the pink drapes or the lavender drapes, etc., but whatever.

If it weren't for what I call the new breed of vette owners, I may not even own a vette. The members of the new breed are the ones racing their car in a responsible manner, trying to extract the most horsepower and best times out of the platform and making improvements.

Anyone else can just stick to picking out the best wax or floormats for their car. I don't fault them for being interested in those things but don't show up in the FI section and try to pick a fight over petty things that are clearly not the intention of this thread.

Congrats CK on making improvements that hopefully the new breed of corvette owners will appreciate. Glad to see that you are still in business and stepping it up.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Don't get the wrong idea, a tubular vs. cast discussion is very much needed when backed up with technical data and results. However, does it belong in a thread about kits that are already designed and will be built by the owner of the company? They have chosen to go this direction and it is their decision to make.

I would enjoy reading a thread about tubular vs. cast manifolds.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:10 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z06-TT
Sir, did you read my post???
Of course I did, but did you read mine? As posted before, I agree with you, cast manifolds work, it's been proven, but again, this IS NOT a thread about cast manifolds. Yet you continue to "leave this here" comments trying to prove your point about cast manifolds when clearly this is not the discussion. And quite frankly with you producing your own kits, I think it shows very poor taste to come in and start criticizing on competitions threads.

We've chosen to go with tubular for many reasons.
They flow,
They look AMAZING,
and most importantly: Because we can!

I've got a system that uses stock manifolds, but if you were following along with the thread, we want something better. We want to raise our standards even higher. Sure it probably costs more, but we already offer one of the most affordable TT systems on the market, I'm sure we can do wonders with this one as well.

I'll post pics as we progress with it. We've just been delivered the car and are still working on trying to fit it into the schedule for a baseline. We've got 4 new platforms under progress right now!

CK

Last edited by CK@UPPCOS; 01-29-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:39 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

For some reason, everytime I read this thread, the "Under Pressure" song starts playing in my head.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:49 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
For some reason, everytime I read this thread, the "Under Pressure" song starts playing in my head.
It's our theme song!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:20 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
I read the thread title:
A new look at the new UPP-Underpressure Turbo Kits

Cool, I like seeing the new things a company is doing and agree that the quality has definitely moved up the food chain.

I'm not sure how a thread about a company's new turbo kits can digress into a discussion on cast vs. tubular manifolds, under hood engine temps due to turbo location, should I buy the pink drapes or the lavender drapes, etc., but whatever.

If it weren't for what I call the new breed of vette owners, I may not even own a vette. The members of the new breed are the ones racing their car in a responsible manner, trying to extract the most horsepower and best times out of the platform and making improvements.

Anyone else can just stick to picking out the best wax or floormats for their car. I don't fault them for being interested in those things but don't show up in the FI section and try to pick a fight over petty things that are clearly not the intention of this thread.

Congrats CK on making improvements that hopefully the new breed of corvette owners will appreciate. Glad to see that you are still in business and stepping it up.
Two words: hidden agenda.

Of course I did, but did you read mine? As posted before, I agree with you, cast manifolds work, it's been proven, but again, this IS NOT a thread about cast manifolds. Yet you continue to "leave this here" comments trying to prove your point about cast manifolds when clearly this is not the discussion. And quite frankly with you producing your own kits, I think it shows very poor taste to come in and start criticizing on competitions threads.

We've chosen to go with tubular for many reasons.
They flow,
They look AMAZING,
and most importantly: Because we can!

I've got a system that uses stock manifolds, but if you were following along with the thread, we want something better. We want to raise our standards even higher. Sure it probably costs more, but we already offer one of the most affordable TT systems on the market, I'm sure we can do wonders with this one as well.

I'll post pics as we progress with it. We've just been delivered the car and are still working on trying to fit it into the schedule for a baseline. We've got 4 new platforms under progress right now!

CK
It's a non vendor trying to inadvertently push his own setup to deter people away from buying your's.

On another note, I started on Brad Greer's car last night with the upgraded turbos. They definitely hit a lot harder at moderate boost levels. We've only taken it up to 15psi so far on the 408, and it only took 30% duty cycle on the boost control solenoid to make that.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:32 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.jegs.com/p/Hooker-Headers...18563/10002/-1

Last edited by jon6.0; 01-30-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:57 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Sir, did you read my post??? never once said it is dumb or not needed... i said for the cost the cast FACTORY manifold ( Camaro and G8) will support 1200 plus. its been proven PERIOD.

there is a need for the tubular when it calls for it. hell even I offer it on our Vette kits.. but on CAST ( not turbo designed ) we have made 1500 WHEEL plus.

so i dont want you to just go into a rant saying i am right...
You sure on that chief?
Old 01-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My only issue with tubular is the life of them. I've had plenty of tubular manifolds on turbo cars and they all have cracked. If you have a welded and don't mind fixing them they work but for a street car daily driver I rather have cast just from a reliability standpoint. I've never seen a tubular manifold go 60-100k+ miles without having issues.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:47 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Unreal
My only issue with tubular is the life of them. I've had plenty of tubular manifolds on turbo cars and they all have cracked. If you have a welded and don't mind fixing them they work but for a street car daily driver I rather have cast just from a reliability standpoint. I've never seen a tubular manifold go 60-100k+ miles without having issues.
Well alot of this depends on how they're made. We're using thick sch 10 piping 304SS with deep penetrating welds, with back purging. Most of the turbo manifolds I've seen in the domestic market are much thinner walled material.

We also back these with a Lifetime warranty, to which we've never seen anything that needed to last longer than lifetime....

We've seen cast manifolds crack as well. Look at the EVO X guys. Granted this has to be somewhat of an extreme case with some crazy harmonics going on in those particular engines, but for as young as those cars are they have a lot of cracked manifold instances. I would say overall though, yes, the cast manifolds crack less, but overall the cast manifolds are also MUCH thicker. SS is just a better quality of material to start with. And since we have the ability to make them, we also have the ability to be flexible with material. So for example if you want SCH 40 with 321SS instead....we can do it. Hell if you really want to splurge we can do it out of titanium! But there is no free lunch. With everything you gain, you give up something else. You want beauty/flow, you give up strength. You want strength, you give up cost. You want cost, you give up flow/quality/strength.....
Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 PM
narfdanarf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. The waste in money comes with being able to put a turbo where you want it all while not sacrificing ground clearance. One really might say the waste of money is buying a $15k turbo kit that uses a set of $350 manifolds.

Last edited by narfdanarf; 01-31-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:45 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

We all know how to read between the lines. Your motive for thread crapping is obvious. Just give it a rest.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by narfdanarf
Different strokes for different folks. The waste in money comes with being able to put a turbo where you want it all while not sacrificing ground clearance. One really might say the waste of money is buying a $15k turbo kit that uses a set of $350 manifolds.
FWIW the "kit" is 12 but that's not here nor there. But for sake of you bring that up, how many other BOLT ON kits will support 1500whp+ at 12k. Redline as already proven 1300whp on small 6266s...

Get notified of new replies

To A new look at the new UPP-Under Pressure Turbo Kits

Old 02-01-2014, 07:22 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

take it anyway you want.... had no intention in pushing my kit.. i have 5-6 dealers on here to do it for me and they sell.. i dont need to "crap" a thread to make mine look better. results speak for them self.
And you're still doing it.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:43 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

na...... thats just defending myself.
No, that was another clearly attempt at pushing them..... Here's a thought, if your kits are doing so well, why don't you pony up and actually become a supporting vendor? (By the way, this is a rhetorical question, please don't see it as an invite to talk more about you kits).

CK
Old 02-02-2014, 04:11 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Well alot of this depends on how they're made. We're using thick sch 10 piping 304SS with deep penetrating welds, with back purging. Most of the turbo manifolds I've seen in the domestic market are much thinner walled material.

We also back these with a Lifetime warranty, to which we've never seen anything that needed to last longer than lifetime....

We've seen cast manifolds crack as well. Look at the EVO X guys. Granted this has to be somewhat of an extreme case with some crazy harmonics going on in those particular engines, but for as young as those cars are they have a lot of cracked manifold instances. I would say overall though, yes, the cast manifolds crack less, but overall the cast manifolds are also MUCH thicker. SS is just a better quality of material to start with. And since we have the ability to make them, we also have the ability to be flexible with material. So for example if you want SCH 40 with 321SS instead....we can do it. Hell if you really want to splurge we can do it out of titanium! But there is no free lunch. With everything you gain, you give up something else. You want beauty/flow, you give up strength. You want strength, you give up cost. You want cost, you give up flow/quality/strength.....
Come on! Get a set done in inconnel! That's the BEST material for manifolds.

Can't wait to see more on the kit.

Quick Reply: A new look at the new UPP-Under Pressure Turbo Kits