C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Z06 with ECS kit on stock block - Meth kit question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 05:48 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 07 Z06 with ECS kit on stock block - Meth kit question

I'm looking to slap on a ECS kit here shortly on my 07 Z06. Because my block is stock (top end is built), I'm looking to run around 5-6psi which I believe should get me to around 650-700rwhp (currently at 550rwhp). I was looking at the price of a meth kit (before labor) and was wondering if it's worth the price and maintenance (if any?) to go ahead and add it during the charger install.

If the juice is worth the speed so to speak, what's the main advantages, if any, when running the combo on a stock Z06 block. From what I've read, I'm guessing it'll run cooler due to lower temps and may allow the car to run another lb or so of boost on a safe tune?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:52 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The other benefit is cooler IAT so you can run max timing and not loose power due to the computer pulling timing if your IAT's run too hot. I would install the kit without meth and see where your IAT's are if you are only going to run 5-6psi. If timing is being pulled for IAT, then add meth if you think it's worth it. I went from 677 to 719 because I was able to run the timing my tune is commanding instead of having 4* pulled for hot air.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:40 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Positive, #7 gets more fuel and will run fatter and not leaner.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I say do it.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Tone
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may need more psi, meth, and headers/exhaust to get 650 plus rwhp.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:03 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by Tone
You may need more psi, meth, and headers/exhaust to get 650 plus rwhp.
I have LT headers on my build now. I was told that 5-6 psi on my current build without meth would yield 650rwhp +/-. That would equate to about a 100rwhp gain over my current setup with those boost levels. Does that seem incorrect? Not that I'm entirely stuck on the numbers but more so wanting to gauge how much rwhp/tq I getting for the cost. Meth is something I'm considering for the additional cost both for safety/reliability and if it'll improve performance, again from a cost to performance perspective.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:30 AM
under_psi
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your in tampa? Im in st.pete. Whose doing the work ? Regardless, Julio @alky control is here in tampa. Makes id say the best kit arouns for your purposes.

http://www.alkycontrol.com/

Im having one of his kits installed on my c6 along with supercharger at powertech here in clearwater.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 AM
colts95ta
Racer

Your heads are built? If so are they ported? Boost is a measure of restriction. If your heads have been done right the boost should actually go down from if they were not. I had ~7 psi with headers,meth, completely stock motor and made 616rhwp on a 100° day.

I have the heads off as we speak at Reher Morrison letting Darin Morgan completely work the heads,intake and TB. He also thought I should do a camshaft while I was there. I will post in this thread what kind of power it makes in the next month or so. Not really looking to make more that 700 wheel due to the limits of the shortblock. Just want the power to come on better.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Tone
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A tuner may be able to get 650 without meth but it's gonna create a lot of heat and I'd guess your stock pistons will fail sooner than later - so you'll need the meth to provide some cooling insurance and allow the tuner to dial in more hp. I'm not sure if you can get 650 from 6 psi - I run 6psi at 6000rpm (I shift there too) with stock everything except the ECS SL1500 kit and am slightly under 600rwhp without meth and what we'd consider a safe tune on 93 octane - although we believe the stock exhaust is now restricting us from gaining even more hp.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:40 AM
colts95ta
Racer

Originally Posted by jon6.0
The other benefit is cooler IAT so you can run max timing and not loose power due to the computer pulling timing if your IAT's run too hot. I would install the kit without meth and see where your IAT's are if you are only going to run 5-6psi. If timing is being pulled for IAT, then add meth if you think it's worth it. I went from 677 to 719 because I was able to run the timing my tune is commanding instead of having 4* pulled for hot air.

THIS ^^^ I would say anyone running boost in hot weather could not go wrong with some meth
Old 09-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

A tuner may be able to get 650 without meth but it's gonna create a lot of heat and I'd guess your stock pistons will fail sooner than later - so you'll need the meth to provide some cooling insurance and allow the tuner to dial in more hp. I'm not sure if you can get 650 from 6 psi - I run 6psi at 6000rpm (I shift there too) with stock everything except the ECS SL1500 kit and am slightly under 600rwhp without meth and what we'd consider a safe tune on 93 octane - although we believe the stock exhaust is now restricting us from gaining even more hp.
My car made 705rwhp on 5.8psi on a heads/cam ls7 setup. So it is very possible. No meth, 91 octane.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bron6_jr_
Your in tampa? Im in st.pete. Whose doing the work ? Regardless, Julio @alky control is here in tampa. Makes id say the best kit arouns for your purposes.

Im having one of his kits installed on my c6 along with supercharger at powertech here in clearwater.
That's the kit I have. Works great!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:54 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by colts95ta
Your heads are built? If so are they ported? Boost is a measure of restriction. If your heads have been done right the boost should actually go down from if they were not. I had ~7 psi with headers,meth, completely stock motor and made 616rhwp on a 100° day.

I have the heads off as we speak at Reher Morrison letting Darin Morgan completely work the heads,intake and TB. He also thought I should do a camshaft while I was there. I will post in this thread what kind of power it makes in the next month or so. Not really looking to make more that 700 wheel due to the limits of the shortblock. Just want the power to come on better.
Yes, when I had the heads redone it included:

Fully ported heads
Valve job
Milling
SS Valves
New Guides
ARP Headbolts
Comp Cam
Magnum Pushrods
Ported intake and TB
Dual Valve Springs
Titanium retainers

Last edited by ralphsmithiii; 09-22-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:55 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

If you have stock everything and I'm at 100rwhp over stock now wouldn't that equate to a higher output at the same PSI?

The only thing I haven't changed out or considered yet is the stock exhaust but I'm not against it.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:57 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by bron6_jr_

I'm having one of his kits installed on my c6 along with supercharger at powertech here in clearwater.
Yes, I'm in Tampa I haven't dropped the car off yet, but I'm looking to have Matt@FSP do the work. I stopped by his shop a couple of weeks ago and he's been nothing but super helpful and easy to talk to. I passed on Powertech myself.

I haven't done much research regarding different kits yet. I only looked up ECS's meth kit because I'm looking at their blower but I'm open to options.

Last edited by ralphsmithiii; 09-22-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:03 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
My car made 705rwhp on 5.8psi on a heads/cam ls7 setup. So it is very possible. No meth, 91 octane.
Awesome Unreal Side question, do you run any additional gauges (psi, temp, oil)? If so, are they pillar mounted and what do you run?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Matt @ FSP
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Hey Ralph! We run methanol a lot on these cars of course due to higher IAT's especially during these dank, humid months down here in FL. The benefits of methanol as a detonation suppressant, and cooling of the IAT's is far worth the addition of the kit in my opinion. The ECS Alky Control kits are put together by Julio right here in Tampa, only methanol kits we will use.

No need for additional gauges, but if you are going to add gauges I do suggest Wideband AFR. Your factory gauges are good for the temperatures/pressures so no need to run additional ones. Most times we install the AEM UEGO Wideband AFR and the AEM Digital Boost gauge to match in a 2 pillar pod.

Get notified of new replies

To 07 Z06 with ECS kit on stock block - Meth kit question

Old 09-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Best advice I can give you is listen to Matt.

I have AEM UEGO wideband and aeroforce for FP/IAT but when I made 700 no gauges.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:19 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

You can also do a single gauge. AEM has the Failsafe wideband/boost gauge. It displays both AFR and boost. It also flashes and activates an output if your AFR goes too lean. You can hook the output to a buzzer for an audible warning. I have one and the flashing allowed me to let off when one of my fuel pumps failed.

Here's how I did my gauge.

Last edited by jon6.0; 09-22-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:18 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,083 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP
Hey Ralph! We run methanol a lot on these cars of course due to higher IAT's especially during these dank, humid months down here in FL. The benefits of methanol as a detonation suppressant, and cooling of the IAT's is far worth the addition of the kit in my opinion. The ECS Alky Control kits are put together by Julio right here in Tampa, only methanol kits we will use.

No need for additional gauges, but if you are going to add gauges I do suggest Wideband AFR. Your factory gauges are good for the temperatures/pressures so no need to run additional ones. Most times we install the AEM UEGO Wideband AFR and the AEM Digital Boost gauge to match in a 2 pillar pod.

Matt will get you all set up to go fast with reliability!

When your supercharger kit is ordered, we will have the ducting prepared for the meth kit too for an easy install. Looking forward to your results, I'm positive Matt will not disappoint you.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: 07 Z06 with ECS kit on stock block - Meth kit question