C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine failure on low boost? Just askin. Not another statistic

Old 07-12-2013, 02:00 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Engine failure on low boost? Just askin. Not another statistic

Still uhming n ahhhing about my current ride. Ls7 with cam, ysi on 7lb 734 rwhp. I'm not chasing more hp but I don't trust the engine of low boost. No drags or hard thrashings. More of a tuff south beach cruiser with the occasional sideways hit. Options I'm throwing up

A) drop 20-25k on a forged engine, fuel system, 14-16 psi, 8 rib d/d, alky meth, clutch or

B) drop say 6k on a set of wcch reco heads n clutch n leave the boost n fuel system alone.

Question being at 7lb are the pistons n rods a concern or are ppl killing engines mainly from valve drops? I'd hate to spend 6 n still throw a leg out of bed (broken rod/piston)
Old 07-12-2013, 02:43 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You really aren't into the efficiency range of that Ysi. You should swap me for my T-trim.

In all seriousness though, if that's the horsepower you plan to stay at, just do the heads. As long as your tune is safe I think you will be fine. E85 available to you?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Chance42
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Port/polish Heads with valves and guides replaced on the exhaust side, meth injection... and there ya go
Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Originally Posted by jon6.0
You really aren't into the efficiency range of that Ysi. You should swap me for my T-trim.

In all seriousness though, if that's the horsepower you plan to stay at, just do the heads. As long as your tune is safe I think you will be fine. E85 available to you?
yeah e85 is available in miami. mid town which is 5 miles from south beach. dont see the need for more power for a streeter as i still havent seen passed half throttle as it is with 20s on the rear
Old 07-12-2013, 03:02 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chance42
Port/polish Heads with valves and guides replaced on the exhaust side, meth injection... and there ya go
i current run pump n torco. 32oz per tank. still invest in meth? is meth required on e85?
Old 07-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Chance42
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With e85 you might need fuel system upgrades. Torco some people say has long term effects on your engine, not sure on that.

Meth isn't required on e85. If you want safety... that's the route I'd go. If you want to race and make killer power... forged engine, more boost, meth, drive train and suspension mods as best as you can afford etc.

If you just want to cruise, no point in having that much power really.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:10 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

E85 will allow you to run more timing and get you more power. It has more wiggle room if the AFR goes a little lean as well. Less chance of breaking stuff. Meth will keep the IAT's down so the ECU won't pull timing and is useful even on a car running E85. Some folks rely on meth for fueling also. I prefer to only use it for IAT reduction. That way if the meth stops your motor doesn't grenade. If you have a MAF you want to inject the meth downstream of the MAF and before a fast acting IAT sensor. I think they make NT-05R drag radials in 20" sizes now.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:13 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Originally Posted by jon6.0
E85 will allow you to run more timing and get you more power. It has more wiggle room if the AFR goes a little lean as well. Less chance of breaking stuff. Meth will keep the IAT's down so the ECU won't pull timing. Some folks rely on meth for fueling also. I prefer to only use it for IAT reduction. That way if the meth stops your motor doesn't grenade. If you have a MAF you want to inject the meth downstream of the MAF and before a fast acting IAT sensor. I think they make NT-05R drag radials in 20" sizes now.
think id prefer to run pump n torco and add an alky kit to be sure to be sureeee.. lol. e85 will require a new fuels system. meh
Old 07-12-2013, 03:18 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Sounds like a good plan. The meth will allow you to keep your full timing when you are hammering it in 3rd and 4th for those Mexico runs.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine failure on low boost? Just askin. Not another statistic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine failure on low boost? Just askin. Not another statistic