C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 05:38 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jon6.0
I wouldn't trust Texas speed to build my lawn mower. Too many horror stories floating around the interwebz. Your engine is not somewhere to shop like you're the government going with the cheapest bid.
Lol. I guess that's what the net is for. Weed out good builders from the rest
Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Everybody is going to have a couple problems happen every once in a while and the net does tend to magnify when people have problems, that being said, I saw their name mentioned too much for my comfort level.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:12 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When I am considering something like an engine, a good part of my decision is based on how I feel talking to the suppliers. Texas Speed and Livernois, although I am sure are capable of some great work, are too big for my liking. I spoke with salesman who really didnt seem all that interested in helping me make good choices. Obviously these shops put out way more engines than the small ones and as a result, will have more problems. Its how those problems are handled that counts. Speak to the suppliers and you will get a good feeling when you are talking to the right one.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I would call around and get quotes from a local "good" machine shops in the area for the pistons. Obviously you will have to buy the bearings and studs etc. shouldn't be more then 3-4k total for the bottom end.

-Curtis
Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
When I am considering something like an engine, a good part of my decision is based on how I feel talking to the suppliers. Texas Speed and Livernois, although I am sure are capable of some great work, are too big for my liking. I spoke with salesman who really didnt seem all that interested in helping me make good choices. Obviously these shops put out way more engines than the small ones and as a result, will have more problems. Its how those problems are handled that counts. Speak to the suppliers and you will get a good feeling when you are talking to the right one.
Livernois treated us great. I bought the motor through one of their dealers and they just dealt with the whole manager Dave A. He rocked and kept us up to date. Then again they sell tons of Livernois parts/motors/heads/cams so he treats them good.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Agree. I recently had a motor built by one of the most well respected shops in the country. It lasted 50k miles before a cam bearing went t!ts up. Its replacement is coming from TxSpeed. The rep from TxSpeed knew his stuff. And my motor will be done before I'm too old to enjoy it.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:39 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

As you can see from the posts you will find happy customers from all the shops (and unhappy ones if you search enough). You have to remember that its people with problems that tend to post on the internet about them. The ones with no problems are just happily driving their cars.
I got this piece of art from LME. It came in a timely manner other than a 2 week delay because Bryan wasnt satisfied with one of the pistons and waited for a replacement. I had no problem with that !! So far it is running flawlessly and I hope it will for many miles.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:55 PM
croatbob
Drifting

on the texas speed issue....usually the only way ppl can price the way they do is volumne of sales. volumne of sales requires ppl to buy there product and if there product was rubbish they would have a hard time moving it and effecting therer purchasing power of associated parts which doesnt seem the case. ok u wont get the personal service etc but if the product was **** they wouldnt have a 3-9 momth wait time and they wouldnt have been in business for so long correct?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Surprisingly Dallas performance are coming in with the best deal. Built engine, twin plate clutch, 1000hp fuel system, alky meth, 8 rib direct drive pulley upgrade, tune n labour at 20k. Thought a big name like that wud b expensive as well modifying a Vette lol
Old 06-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS7 block-JUNK
LS3 block-JUNK
LS2 block-great!
iron block-awesome!

Billy Briggs can build a badass motor, on budget and on schedule.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:26 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
LS7 block-JUNK
LS3 block-JUNK
LS2 block-great!
iron block-awesome!

Billy Briggs can build a badass motor, on budget and on schedule.
Wasn't aware of ls3 block being junk. What is so much better about ls2 version?
Old 06-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Wasn't aware of ls3 block being junk. What is so much better about ls2 version?
Look at the sleaves-top and bottom.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Look at the sleaves-top and bottom.
Damn, I'm running an LS3 and LQ4 with an LS2 sitting in the shop. All are buttoned up and I can't get any kind of look at the sleeves. What bothers you about the sleeves in the LS3? What's going on in the LS2 and LQ4 that makes you more comfortable with them?
Old 06-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Damn, I'm running an LS3 and LQ4 with an LS2 sitting in the shop. All are buttoned up and I can't get any kind of look at the sleeves. What bothers you about the sleeves in the LS3? What's going on in the LS2 and LQ4 that makes you more comfortable with them?
LS2 has much thicker sleeves-been pushed to 1500 rwhp before splitting.

LQ4 can make 1500 rwhp all day, everyday for years-drill and tap for
1/2" studs for aftermarket thick deck castings and ur golden.

LS3 sleeves are thin-off center from top to bottom and crack because of that.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 AM
0Taylor@DallasPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by croatbob
Surprisingly Dallas performance are coming in with the best deal. Built engine, twin plate clutch, 1000hp fuel system, alky meth, 8 rib direct drive pulley upgrade, tune n labour at 20k. Thought a big name like that wud b expensive as well modifying a Vette lol
That also included Darton sleeving your LS7 block to negate the issues Arun is mentioning as well
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Arun@Dasilvamotorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by croatbob
U can't go wrong with DP-only place my car would go if I lived anywhere in Texas.

And Texas is a HUGE state!

Quick Reply: Engine options?