C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec Super twin? any one running it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Spec Super twin? any one running it?

im thinking of the ST trim.

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy...009/Super_Twin

any one running one? if it can really holed 1600 ft for# for sub $2k that seems like an awesome deal. I dont think my RXT will hold onto the power im making now, so im looking for an upgrade.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:22 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I've had mine for almost 5 years. It was a b!tch to break in but it seems the harder you slip it the stronger it gets.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:28 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by saplumr
I've had mine for almost 5 years. It was a b!tch to break in but it seems the harder you slip it the stronger it gets.
what is the break in procedure. and what made it so tough to break in?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Dash rattling chatter and getting used to a very high engagement point were the worst of it. But clearly after roughly 500 miles I just started slipping the crap out of it and it came around. For what it's capable of its no where near factory smooth of course but its a beast if a clutch!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:44 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by saplumr
Dash rattling chatter and getting used to a very high engagement point were the worst of it. But clearly after roughly 500 miles I just started slipping the crap out of it and it came around. For what it's capable of its no where near factory smooth of course but its a beast if a clutch!
do you have the ST or a different version of the super Twin? there seem to be 4 trims..
basically i need a clutch that will hold 1000-1100 ft#
Old 06-01-2013, 11:50 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

ST. Early on finding the proper rpm during engagement is quite a learning curve but it was well worth the hassle for me.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Had one in my car when I bought it. It only has about 2-2500 miles on it. I am not sure what trim it is David. But I hated this clutch SOOOOO much saplumr is right teeth rattling chatter!! Holding I can't tell you cause the car wasn't making much power back then@700 maybe lots of TQ though. But Hector ran one and it held for him so you might talk to him as well. Noisy bastard as well.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:42 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by inspector12
Had one in my car when I bought it. It only has about 2-2500 miles on it. I am not sure what trim it is David. But I hated this clutch SOOOOO much saplumr is right teeth rattling chatter!! Holding I can't tell you cause the car wasn't making much power back then@700 maybe lots of TQ though. But Hector ran one and it held for him so you might talk to him as well. Noisy bastard as well.
Hector said he liked his.. Wish someone local had one..
Old 06-03-2013, 07:17 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by White_Lightning
I had one and sent it back to the manufacturer,(it is not forgiving and causes everything to break in your drivetrain) replaced it with a triple RPS and had no regrets, the best clutch for 700+ power is the triple RPS but it cost, nice factory like pedal, slips perfect and feels good.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 AM
ZO6er
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the time you start ANOTHER thread you could've oredered one form SPEC already....do it!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:22 AM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

You can send your RXT to McLeod have them rebuild it even stronger to hold your power goals.

-Curtis
Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6 Curtis
You can send your RXT to McLeod have them rebuild it even stronger to hold your power goals.

-Curtis
hmmm.. anyone running one of the "rebuilt" RXTs?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I hated the spec. drove like ****.... LOUD, chattering... etc but honestly it worked ok at 890whp/830wtq on the highway, but not sure about 1000+wtq! if your car is just for racing them maybe its a good clutch. but if you would like to drive it on the streets and be nice to drive around, then I would def get something different. thats all my personal experience.....
Old 06-03-2013, 01:27 PM
ZO6er
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by walhan_qtr
I hated the spec. drove like ****.... LOUD, chattering... etc but honestly it worked ok at 890whp/830wtq on the highway, but not sure about 1000+wtq! if your car is just for racing them maybe its a good clutch. but if you would like to drive it on the streets and be nice to drive around, then I would def get something different. thats all my personal experience.....
Not sure about it being "loud" but it does chatter....maybe making over a 1k whp some sacrifices have to be made? How did it drive like *****? Which flywheel did you use?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

we had both, and both didn't drive nice honestly. engagement, chattering, vibration (especially if you have solid mounts, ahhh it was bad) it worked great though when banging the gears I would tell you that! but I agree, you have to sacrifice if you want to make the power. I am sure I can get used to it if I really wanted to run it all the time, but I am trying to find other options. I bought the Mantic clutch to see if it will be the one Clutch + fuel system is one of the hardest things I have found on those C6s... it seems like something will work good for one guy, and not so good for 5 other different cars...... but I don't know thats just what I experienced with that clutch. you had that monster that was what 1200whp? so I am sure you would know better than me
Old 06-03-2013, 03:21 PM
GAMEOVR
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I have one in my car. It is a loud chattering SOB but the little time I drive my car and how noisy it is it's really not that bad. As far as the pedal I have some leg muscles so it ain't no thang!

I'll let you know how it holds up to some more boost here in a few weeks, I'm still stuck on 7lbs lol..
Old 06-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Flash20
Pro

At these power level sacrifices will have to be made if you want something to hold this power. Even the proclaimed "kings of the street" UGR cars drive like **** with the tilton clutches they have to run.

Originally Posted by GAMEOVR
I have one in my car. It is a loud chattering SOB but the little time I drive my car and how noisy it is it's really not that bad. As far as the pedal I have some leg muscles so it ain't no thang!

I'll let you know how it holds up to some more boost here in a few weeks, I'm still stuck on 7lbs lol..
Feldman's cross fit workout doesn't include leg day, so he may have a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Spec Super twin? any one running it?

Old 06-03-2013, 03:43 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Flash20
At these power level sacrifices will have to be made if you want something to hold this power. Even the proclaimed "kings of the street" UGR cars drive like **** with the tilton clutches they have to run.

you have me confused with JP.. i lift Weights.. im not trying to be the Best at Exercising

hopefully the spec twin doesnt make the vette do a harlem shake on take off like the Tilton does the lambos
Old 06-03-2013, 03:47 PM
GAMEOVR
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash20
LOL!!

hopefully the spec twin doesnt make the vette do a harlem shake on take off like the Tilton does the lambos
Agreed. I'd rather not look like I don't know how to drive my own car. You won't have any issues with it though, it's pretty easy to drive around on the street.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:38 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Once mine was broke in the chatter/shudder mostly disappeared. Pedal feel is not heavy and mine never made any sound so I'm not familiar with the word loud, unless I refer to my exhaust.

Quick Reply: Spec Super twin? any one running it?