C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 TVS2300, e force or ls9 swap? What's the best option. Goal 700whp.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 PM
notn41
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C6 Z06 TVS2300, e force or ls9 swap? What's the best option. Goal 700whp.

I currently have a 2006 C6 Z06 with a black panther (large) cam, lg 1 3/4 headers with hi flow cats, k & n intake, borla atak/akropavic exhaust, 160 t stat.

The car puts down 540whp in Las Vegas. I love the car, but I want a twin screw supercharger. I love the sound, and feel of them.

My immediate goal would be 600+ whp, and eventually turn it up to 750+ whp.

I want my car to be reliable and daily drive able. I have a LOT of options but I want to put mods on the car accordingly to be consistent with these goals.

I realize the ls7 is not a great motor for boost, would it be a motor that could handle a lot of power now and reinforce later for the 750+whp goal or is that unrealistic?
Should I buy a used ls9 and swap it in then sell my ls7?
Or even get a used ls3 boosted??
Or completely have a new motor because these options will have a dead end?

What should my mod list look like?

I want to be realistic and be able to keep upgrading the car towards my goal rather than just drop $20,000 on it all at once. I'm in no rush as it is a long term goal.

I would love to keep my ls7 and upgrade it as necessary for my power level but I don't know enough about boost with the ls7 to know what I need to change and if is cost effective to do rather than starting with something completely different.

Should I do heads?
Change compression?
2" headers?(worried about codes with these)

And the TVS 2300 seems to be the most capable power wise for 750+whp, I like the e force as well but I heard it is quiet(I want the sc to SCREAM), and I haven't seen any over 700whp so far. I have seen many tvs over that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Procharger..
Old 05-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

He said twin screw. Any of them then add a 50-100shot to get to 700+.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:28 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
He said twin screw. Any of them then add a 50-100shot to get to 700+.
yup.. but he also said 700+ rwhp

trying to push him in the right direction..
Old 05-31-2013, 12:16 AM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

The stock LS7 is fine for boost, Just make sure you get the head problem fixed and you're good to go. If you want a screaming SC get the whipple and add a hood for it.

-Curtis
Old 05-31-2013, 12:37 AM
Chance42
Pro

Last edited by Chance42; 07-18-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:25 AM
notn41
Racer

Originally Posted by Chance42
My whipple is at 704 with a mild cam

Thing is quiet though... you hear it more at idle than WOT to me, but then again with long tube headers and borlas... It's no kenne bell on the sound factor.
Thats awesome. Do you have a full mods list? including header size type cats etc?
Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 AM
notn41
Racer

Originally Posted by C6 Curtis
The stock LS7 is fine for boost, Just make sure you get the head problem fixed and you're good to go. If you want a screaming SC get the whipple and add a hood for it.

-Curtis
What head problem? Can you be more specific? When the cam was put in they replaced a few other things
Old 05-31-2013, 02:10 AM
Chance42
Pro

Last edited by Chance42; 07-18-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance42
I just bought the car last week, with the mods already done I'll post more if you want when I grab the build sheet.

Ragin Racing LS7 blower cam (mild - don't have the specs, I need to get with Randy to get those)
Ported/Polished heads with new exhaust valves
Lifters/push rods/valve springs
Whipple 2.9 Polished with RK Hood
Ragin Racing fuel system + the MSD (similar to BAP) that came with the Whipple kit
American Racing long tube headers 1 7/8 I believe (I'll double check, but I know they aren't 2 inch) with high flow cats
Borla exhaust
Halltech CAI (Appears to be a killerbee) with beehive shroud

Some other mods I'm sure I'm missing... I believe she is sitting right around 5lbs of boost currently. Dyno tuned and built by Ragin Racing in Scott, LA. Threw down 704 in 98 degree humid Louisiana weather.

The head problem he is referring to is the exhaust valve (or exhaust valve guide, depending on who you ask) wearing and getting out of tolerance, causing it to eventually break/drop. If it does so, you will have a new way to drain oil out of your block. Probably happens to less than 10% of LS7s, but better safe than sorry.
Very nice! I was considering something similar when I upgrade. Wasn't aware that Whipple had a kit for the LS7. Figured I was going to have to swap to big bore LS3 heads to get a Whipple or the new Heartbeat Maggie on an LS7. You're doing, at 5psi what the ZR1 boys do at triple the boost. Decent compression ratio and a few extra cubes make a huge difference. Bet you pass a few more fuel stops vs a ZR1 also

I'm sure that bad girl is a handful now. Wonder what another 4ish psi would be like....

Are you using meth?

Last edited by old motorhead; 05-31-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Chance42
Pro

Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

The 295/45 17 eT streets will be way better than any 19 tire, but I still have trouble hooking them completely. It may be the track where I run more so than the tires. 1.88 is the best 60' so far. 305/30 19 R888's did no better than 2.2.

To the OP, you're not going to have much blower noise unless you go with a rear drive Maggie with the cogged belt on the rear pulleys. They sound pretty mean, but the sound never goes away. If the engine is running, it's making the music. Haven't heard one from inside the car, but guys that have owned them said that it wasn't bothersome.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

You went from a $5k-$9k option with the 2300 and supporting parts to a $25k+ option of LS9 and supporting parts.

If you want a built motor just buy a bottom end for the LS7. My LS7 is over 1000rwhp easily with decent rotating assembly etc.

You're also doing it backwards if you want a big HP number and you're trying it with the wrong application. PD blowers are about power under the curve and instant torque where the centri blowers make peak HP with a linear power delivery. You're also doing it way wrong with an e-force as they are way out of their efficiency at that level.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:22 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Not to get back to the OP's question....but...you need to consider what you're expecting vs what is reasonably doable. Yes, you can do 800 rwhp with a Maggie TVS 2300. It's been done plenty of times. Good idea? I don't think so. If you're looking at 650 to 700 wheel, it's a great choice for a street ride. When you get over those numbers, the bigger Whipple is a better choice if you're wanting a p/d blower. Much over 750, and you're in turbo or centri neighborhood.

At higher boost/power levels, centri's benefit big time from meth introduced after the blower compresses the air. It cools the compressed air big time vs meth introduced pre blower on a p/d blower. It's comical how some speak about how much more "efficient" the centri's are. At mild boost, if you take the meth away, there's not much difference.

If there was an easy way to introduce meth evenly, down stream of a modern p/d blower, their efficiency would be similar. There isn't. It's been tried. Also comical when folks compare modern centri's with 10 year old p/d blowers. I really like the "you can fry a hamburger" on a p/d blower after a run. Fact is that an intercooled modern p/d blower is probably the coolest thing under the hood after a run (dyno or quarter mile). It has it's own radiator. Put your hand on a centri blower after a dyno or quarter mile run. It's hot. Compress air, it heats up....no matter how you do it. A belt driven blower takes power to compress air. Plain and simple. Not for a moment saying anyone's centri or p/d rig is better or worse than another.

Rant over
Old 06-01-2013, 04:46 AM
notn41
Racer

I see what you're saying. So assuming I go with a tvs2300 magnasun/whipple blower, what should my mod list look like for each horsepower goal?
Also, 1 7/8 headers or 2"?
Originally Posted by old motorhead
Not to get back to the OP's question....but...you need to consider what you're expecting vs what is reasonably doable. Yes, you can do 800 rwhp with a Maggie TVS 2300. It's been done plenty of times. Good idea? I don't think so. If you're looking at 650 to 700 wheel, it's a great choice for a street ride. When you get over those numbers, the bigger Whipple is a better choice if you're wanting a p/d blower. Much over 750, and you're in turbo or centri neighborhood.

At higher boost/power levels, centri's benefit big time from meth introduced after the blower compresses the air. It cools the compressed air big time vs meth introduced pre blower on a p/d blower. It's comical how some speak about how much more "efficient" the centri's are. At mild boost, if you take the meth away, there's not much difference.

If there was an easy way to introduce meth evenly, down stream of a modern p/d blower, their efficiency would be similar. There isn't. It's been tried. Also comical when folks compare modern centri's with 10 year old p/d blowers. I really like the "you can fry a hamburger" on a p/d blower after a run. Fact is that an intercooled modern p/d blower is probably the coolest thing under the hood after a run (dyno or quarter mile). It has it's own radiator. Put your hand on a centri blower after a dyno or quarter mile run. It's hot. Compress air, it heats up....no matter how you do it. A belt driven blower takes power to compress air. Plain and simple. Not for a moment saying anyone's centri or p/d rig is better or worse than another.

Rant over
Old 06-01-2013, 08:54 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by notn41
I see what you're saying. So assuming I go with a tvs2300 magnasun/whipple blower, what should my mod list look like for each horsepower goal?
Also, 1 7/8 headers or 2"?
Will 2" primaries fit comfortably in a C6 chassis? Are you going to be running the thing competitively where a few hp can make a difference?

I think Chance42 has you a pretty sound blueprint to follow. I'm not a big meth fan with p/d blowers. On an LS7, with anything over very mild boost, I'd sure add it though. You won't get the big cool down the centri and turbo boys enjoy, but the extra octane might save yo' a$$. Later this year, I hope to be putting one together very similar to his. Big cubes..instant boost..lite car..handles like a dream..yeah baby. I know it won't stop and turn quite as well as a ZR1, but I'm guessing you can make it up on the straights
Old 06-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Chance42
Pro

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 TVS2300, e force or ls9 swap? What's the best option. Goal 700whp.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:19 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

I would have thought your boost would be higher with the power you're making. Stock LS7 heads flow like crazy though. Maybe they're so good ported that, with a good blower cam and that many cubic inches, there's just not much restriction there. If you're really at only 5psi, 800 at the wheels won't be too hard to do.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:42 AM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Its quiet because you aren't spinning it that fast. at 12-15lbs it will scream because you're turning it much faster.

-Curtis
Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Just going to throw in my 2 cents here.
700 RWHP on 5 lbs boost in 98 degree humid weather ? Has to be some kind of record. Very nice numbers.
The whole PD /Centri IAT thing is so overblown. With centri's, half the people say they run under ambient, and then there are camaro guys saying they hit 160 to 200 when running the quarter. I am convinced it is really the difference in sensor placement that messes with the comparison.
I havent gotten to the track this year yet but on 6 back to back dyno pulls while tuning, I saw a max IAT of 122 degrees. Last year with a slightly different setup and less power, I was seeing 120 to 140 at the track depending on the variable of weather, and the IAT at the start of the runs.
Unless you are a serious track junkie, or going for some kind of record times, any of the available options will have traction issues and give you more power than you can safely use on the street.
I prefer PD because I like the power delivery better but its a personal choice and all great options for a fun driver.

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 TVS2300, e force or ls9 swap? What's the best option. Goal 700whp.