C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

630WHP reliability questions and traction

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 630WHP reliability questions and traction

I have an A&A kit and LT Headers on my 08LS3 (see signature) making 630 to the tire. I use Nitto Invo 305 on the rear. I was told that once you are in the 600+ range that it is very easy to snap the driveshaft or need a clutch swap (I know the clutch part will hold true at some point or another) I was told that I should not put any stickier tires on my car or I will break the DS or something else, for you guys with this kind of power or more do you use sticky tires or was my friend correct.

He told me if I was ever to take it to the drag strip DONOT put slicks or even Mickey Streets on it or I will very easily break something. What is you guy's experience with this. It is my DD and I rarely race it at the strip. only went 2 times last summer and was before the FI.

I am happy with the Invos and know I can't expect to be able to completely hook up that kind of power but wanted to see if I could do a bit stickier tire and be safe.

Also, I would like to maybe take it to the strip maybe once or twice when it opens to see what it can run. Would that not be a good idea on the drivetrain or what do you think...

Last edited by 1quickTXVette; 01-30-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM
l8-apex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently bought an 06 with A&A kit, in the same HP neighborhood as yours. I would not even consider doing a full throttle launch, as I'm pretty sure something in the stock drive train would break. GM engineers designed the drive train with <400 WHP in mind. Drag racing the stock drive train with >600 HP would be asking for trouble. As long as we 'launch' with care, and roll into the power, I would think problems would be avoided.

Edit: Then again, I could be totally wrong. This is just my gut instinct telling me this, not experience.

Last edited by l8-apex; 01-30-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Originally Posted by l8-apex
I just recently bought an 06 with A&A kit, in the same HP neighborhood as yours. I would not even consider doing a full throttle launch, as I'm pretty sure something in the stock drive train would break. GM engineers designed the drive train with <400 WHP in mind. Drag racing the stock drive train with >600 HP would be asking for trouble. As long as we 'launch' with care, and roll into the power, I would think problems would be avoided.
Yeah that makes sense, they're designed to be light weight cars not drag cars hah. All that aluminum doesn't like the FI power levels. Do you have regular tires on yours or do you have drag radials. I would want to maybe try some drag radials if they would be safe for the car and if they're a big enough difference from my invos
Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 PM
l8-apex
Instructor

I've got Firestone WO Run Flats. We had been having pretty cold temps (highs in the upper 40's) here in Central Cal, and the Firestone's would break loose at the drop of a hat, even in 3rd gear. Now we've had a couple of days in the mid 50's and the tires are hooking up a bit better, but I don't think I've used more than half throttle in 1st - 3rd. I doubt I ever will on the street. This car is just a beast.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 PM
topend182
Instructor

There have been forum members who have run 10 & 9 second passes on the stock drivetrain, its just a matter of technique (and some luck). Slipping the clutch is key to reducing drivetrain shock and breakage. In addition, the softer sidewall of a bias ply tire will likely lessen the shock as well. (Although it should be noted that most of the guys running those times in the c6 are on drag radials) A clutch will be necessary after a pass or two though, and simply comes with the territory of owning a 700hp car.
As far as on the street, you should bite the bullet and put on some quality drag radials. There is simply no point in having all of that power if you cannot get it to the ground, and at 600rwhp a softer compound is a must.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

I know that with DRs you will lose some wet traction but exactly how much? It is my DD. which would you recommend?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 AM
NSANEC6
Drifting

I absolutely would not recomend a DR on a DD. Rain and DR's is asking for disaster.if you can't stay out of the rain you will be better off with the invo's. just my humble opinion. Of course you could always creep around under 40 when it's raining out.....
Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

9's here, stock drivetrain with just a clutch on drag radials. 08+cars can take the abuse with the TR6060. Pretty sure I've come real close to pulling a wheel off the ground in the 1.4-1.5 60ft area. A6's will run quicker ET's with less shock on the drivetrain, but their transmissions seem to be the weak link.

Drag radials are more damaging to the driveline than slicks. The softer the compound, the more shock it will take away from the drivetrain on a hard launch.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 AM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Well most of the time I am in town and can just drive home no problem if its raining its a smaller town. But on the rare occasion I'm stuck on a highway or out of town I wouldn't want to get caught in it if its as bad as you say. Maybe I should just stick with getting a new set of invos. I like them and they perform well for the price. I like michelins but have never put them on the vette because they are very expensive
Old 01-31-2013, 12:53 AM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Originally Posted by winters97gt
9's here, stock drivetrain with just a clutch on drag radials. 08+cars can take the abuse with the TR6060. Pretty sure I've come real close to pulling a wheel off the ground in the 1.4-1.5 60ft area. A6's will run quicker ET's with less shock on the drivetrain, but their transmissions seem to be the weak link.

Drag radials are more damaging to the driveline than slicks. The softer the compound, the more shock it will take away from the drivetrain on a hard launch.
You're running 9s and the driveshaft and rear haven't had any trouble?

How much Hp are you pushing, and how long did the stock clutch last before it went out
Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Yes. I ran mid 10's at 600-630rwhp. Pushed it up to around 800-825rwhp at the track.

Stock clutch lasted 4 passes on drag radials and less than 1000 miles at 600rwhp.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 AM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Do you hammer it off the line or do you ease into it.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 AM
1quickTXVette
Racer

What's the best way to stage these cars? Rev to 2500 or so? None at all?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1quickTXVette
Do you hammer it off the line or do you ease into it.
Slip the chit out of it. Only way possible to launch a base vette without a built rear/Z06 rear end on drag dradials. You might get lucky on slicks dumping the clutch since the slicks will absorb the shock more, but again, you're on borrowed time without a built rear/Z06 rear just clutch dumping. I'll do a little whoring out of my sold C6...

Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 PM
Le Mans Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

A friend of mine broke his rear with a cam and boltons, then upgraded it to a RPM rear and broke it again. So I would venture to say the manual rears are weak.

Get notified of new replies

To 630WHP reliability questions and traction

Quick Reply: 630WHP reliability questions and traction