C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any C6 FI guys getting C7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default any C6 FI guys getting C7?

Just curious ..if yes options and color.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will likely sit out first model year to let GM work out bugs and let aftermarket industry catch up a bit. Lots of unknown limits with respect to DI, such as injector/pump capacity, tuning capabilities (although think EFI and HP will get there reasonably quickly). Then drive train strength or will the rear end be similar to 05 C6?

Then still hate the cartoonish rear… Hope it’s better in person, but not holding breath.

Options 2LT minimum (gotta have HUD), Z51+, color maybe back to **** disturber black.

As much as I hate to say this, I see the C6 being very relevant to high HP builds for years to come in terms of simplicity and wealth of aftermarket parts such as heads, block, fuel systems, injectors, cams, intakes… you get the gist.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm definitely following the z06 or equivalent development, but that purchase is probably 4-5 years out.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:23 AM
fe9_fe9
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sticking to my C6 for the coming 2 years at least..
Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

I dont see why everyone is stressing about the LT1 and its direct injection limiting power. People do understand that with a standalone ECU and a set of injectors mounted in the intake manifold, the engine will work just the same as the LS engines! in fact there might be a way to get both conventional and DI to work together.

Plus the word from Chevy is that the engine will be bomb proof (think i heard over 4 figures on stock interals with boost) and have a better flowing top end to go with it. Sounds good to me!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,342 Likes on 950 Posts

Several things have to happen first.

The first year gremlins will have to be excised.

Folks willing to pay sticker and above have to get theirs first. Then the price will come down.

The looks will have to "grow" on me. Not liking the lines just yet. I'm sure that will change as it always does.

The aftermarket will have to figure out a way to make it quicker and more fun than the one I'm driving now. That might be the toughest nut to crack.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM
vetterestorer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the time I'm done with my c6 z06tt build the c8 will be out.....uggg
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 AM
harleyreb1
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

gonna wait a few years and see how it develops, not real impressed right now.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:57 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

From what I'm hearing the PCM is not crackable, or not easily anyway. Without a good way to tune it for FI, I'm out.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Ordered, supercharger kit already in the works. We will have some bridges to cross I'm sure, but if it was easy....

Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 AM
1SwtRide
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Ordered, supercharger kit already in the works. We will have some bridges to cross I'm sure, but if it was easy....

Oh snap, let the fun begin!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

I love the way it looks. I will most likely get one a a few years after the performance version comes out. Still keeping my C6 though.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What's your feeling on the increase of an already pretty high compression ratio?

Will you be able to simply tune out DOD/AFM?

Lots of added complexity to the motor with AFM and VVT, how is that stuff going to handle making an extra 200 hp over stock?

As far as direct injection is concerned, I would imaging the limiting factor is most likely going to be the pump as pressures are already insane to get that sytem to work. How much higher can you run that thing?

I'm definitely going to wait to see how all this play out, so far the motor on the C7 makes it a no go for me. Plus I hate all the added technology such as touch screens and crap. This isn't my grocery getter.

Last edited by NormWild; 01-29-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Not the base model. Never. I will wait out for the more aggressive looking version (Z06/ZR1 equivalant) and hopefully by that time there will be a potent TT kit available for it. Now if the more aggressive version came from factory with a TT kit I may keep it stock. Ok, not!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I already had my deposit down. even though I dont like everything about it, I am sure it will grow on me. I will most likely sell my F1X C6 or my 441 Z06 not sure which one yet but I have to decide in the next few days and actually have one listed for sale here in the forum. sad but oh well.

I didnt pick up options/color yet I think they said in May I get to pick all that but I will probably go with fully loaded with nav, hud, ...etc etc and either Red or white with Red interior

Last edited by walhan_qtr; 01-29-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Originally Posted by Beatitt
What's your feeling on the increase of an already pretty high compression ratio?

Will you be able to simply tune out DOD/AFM?

Lots of added complexity to the motor with AFM and VVT, how is that stuff going to handle making an extra 200 hp over stock?

As far as direct injection is concerned, I would imaging the limiting factor is most likely going to be the pump as pressures are already insane to get that sytem to work. How much higher can you run that thing?

I'm definitely going to wait to see how all this play out, so far the motor on the C7 makes it a no go for me. Plus I hate all the added technology such as touch screens and crap. This isn't my grocery getter.

Time will tell on many fronts, we will be learning much as we go too, but it has always been our policy to learn and experiment on our own cars, not yours.
We have been supercharging AFM/VVT Camaro's and trucks for a long time now, so thats nothing new to us, we have also installed a few V6 Camaro chargers with direct injection.

On a personal level I would probably wait to order one also, but we need our product development car so it is what it is.

Get notified of new replies

To any C6 FI guys getting C7?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Matt @ FSP
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

This car is my main motivation in getting involved tuning the LFX DI V6 (2012+ Camaros) with the E39 ECU. Learning this ECU has had a learning curve of course, but like most say, it is just figuring out the tuning and going from there. Also in 2012+ GM has tied in ENGINE torque management even in the E38 ECU's, so that threw a lot of us tuners a curveball. Gone are the days that you just take all the engine TM charts and max them, if you do, you'll never be able to footbrake the car and most likely you'll never be at WOT. From the factory on the 2012+ Camaro DI V6's, it will not go full throttle until over 4k (Floats in the 55-60% range) with the electronic throttle control source as Torque. Took me a long time to manipulate the charts to work so that the DI V6 would get full throttle under 4k, then add boost, and it became a problem upstairs. Saw this also on a 2013 Camaro V8 with E38 ECU, would pull the throttle back upstairs with the tables maxxed, had to bring them back to stock and keep logging predicted engine torque and adjust the map tables.

It's a lot more in depth than above, but the DI LT1 tuning should be close to the E39, and like I said even in the 12+ E38's I've run into this engine TM being a PITA!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Matt @ FSP
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
From what I'm hearing the PCM is not crackable, or not easily anyway. Without a good way to tune it for FI, I'm out.
You guys may know more than me considering I barely have time to follow the C7 craze.. Have they announced if it will run the E39 or E78 ECU's yet? If so, both ECU's have been cracked, however, it will take some time to figure out the new segments and boot loaders I am sure.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Good Read, not exactly sure on the source though. I can find out.

6. Yes the 2014 LT1 can and will support (GREAT DESIGN HEADERS) with no tune required. The ECM can compensate for the increase exhaust flow and bump up the fuel delivery.

7. Factory Intakes are restrictive by design, we leave windows so to speak for the gear head to go in and remove materials and remove baffles/restrictors. While we maintain emissions You just have to be clever about it and yes the ECM will meter the additional volume in air and adjust no tuning required.

8. After extensive testing...we decided the only way to correct pulling heat out of the heads was to reverse the intake and exhaust positions. This allowed for shorter exhaust ports to aid high velocity. This allowed more heat to be put into the water jacket. Which we had to upgrade the water pump design. And this allow for MUCH MUCH LARGER intake ports which allowed us to raise the intake port significantly for better sight at the valve. And you only do this for one reason. (HINT)

9. The drive at the back of the cam would have been a problem if we would have used helical gears to drive the fuel pump way too much fricition and durability problems. We tried additional lobes as well High RPM then became a problem. The project actually stalled due to this... So here is a small story ...another engineer while at the superbowl had his car stolen. And an aerospace engineer by chance was leaving the parking area and gave him a ride to a rental car company.
On the way there a conversation took place. The Aerospace engineer was driving a car with a rotary engine. Which sparked the idea in our engineer head the two talked. Needless to say... if you look at the back of the cam on the 2014 LT1 its a tri-lobe extremely similar to the rotary engine. Rotary engines love to rev and they are stable in rotation. We chopped off the acute angle edges on our tri-lobe as you can tell. The pump has a roller lifter. And presto! It works so well there are no measureable forces, It's like it not even there. Now thats engineering!

10. I Can't dicuss how much "additional duration in cam profiles" the 2014 LT1 can take for RED TAPE reasons. The ECM can and will Learn CAM profiles (hint). Can the engine accomodate airflow in forced induction. ABSOLUTELY!! This engine is said to have many purposes however combustion engineers are more power hungry than any other gear head will ever be, we had one goal in mind. Those pesky other "supercars" are no longer an issue. The GAP is significant. And room left on the table for you gear heads. Your welcome So with that said surprise await. I cannot and will elaborate more.

11. Maximum Capacity on the 2014 LT1 direct injections? No capacity they operate on another principle. RED TAPE... The days of buying larger injectors are over end of discussion rejoice. These can out flow the capabilites of the engine in extreme applications. Which is why fuel tables are off limits..... there are only a 81 engineers in the world that can predict these flows with the accuracy we needed for the spray patterns, volume etc. Per PSI in fuel. And not one of those 81 engineers work in the aftermarket. YOUR SAFETY IS MOST IMPORTANT.

12. The low hanging fruit on the 2014 LT1? E85 end of discussion....

13. The 2014 LT1 ECM is smart enough.... to learn if you make modification to the engine that doesn't improve its performance, such as poor headers, poor cam, restrictive intake etc. The engine will go into 231cu in mode (welcome to 4 cylinder mode) and will not return to 376 cu in mode either until u remove those damaging mods that decreased its performance output. The ECM is program to allow additional horsepower to be made above normal output ONLY. This is a one way street... If the output drops below factory output you will be in 231 cu in mode until you make it right or better then normal. No need to call the dealership the 2nd secondary OS will return you 376 cu in mode once you have resolved the issues of restoring or improving the engine output wait about 10 minutes while idle in park. I cannot and will not elaborate more on this ECM capabilities.

14. We never take the road often traveled in engineering. We explore need areas to be innovative and set the pace. Just like a high rise building it needs a solid base/foundation once the finally height has been determined. In terms of foundations... the 3.622 stroke is solid as granite bedrock. To destroy a 3.622 stroke takes talent in all the wrong areas of performance...As mention before ..we tried increasing the stroke...durability just wasn't there. Displacement is only an EGO factor in sport cars... sport cars do not pull trailers, boats, or have a work beds.... We did the math... and the output stroke once again was the 3.622 stroke. We toughen it up by forging it then laid extremely high 4 digit abuse to it. Measured it again and again and it did not bend .0002+
The damn thing is just tough. The piston speed and piston travel is as good as it gets I can show you in math later if you would like additional understanding. After that ...we determine that we could trick the 376cu in engine into thinking its a big block chevy this was possibly only by VVT. So we ended up with a small block with a identity problem that thinks its a big block chevy in torque. Without the extra weight of the block and crankshaft or the additional stroke of a big block.

Quick Reply: any C6 FI guys getting C7?