C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The lost summer of 2012

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Atomic C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The lost summer of 2012

My need for speed got the best of me this May and I decided to install a Alky control meth kit to compliment my 08 A6 that has a ECS Novi 1500. It was off to ECS to get the car retuned. Chris suggested I keep the restrictor plate in and just open it up a bit and go for 600 RWHP. Doug asked me if I wanted to see what the car would do without the restrictor plate. That was all it took, my speed addiction took over and next thing I knew we had 680 RWHP, 650 torque that was where it was going to stay. I thought 550 RWHP and running a 10.7 was fast. I could not have been more incorrect. The first time I hit the throttle it was like being shot out of cannon. That green meth indicator LED came on and it seemed like it took a blink of an eye to hit 5th gear from 60mph. On that first pull I couldn’t stay on the gas any longer, it took my breath away. I was a very happy corvette owner.

About a week later the Trans started slipping in 4th and 5th and the Trans codes started coming on, P0700, P0777, and P2724. ECS changed some of the Trans parameters but it was too late. I did a lot of research and talked to several shops about rebuilding the 6l80 Trans. I decided to go with Century Transmission in Texas as they had a one year warranty and documented over 100 rebuilds of the 6L80 and 400+ passes on a bracket racer “The subfloor”. Mike told me he had a one week turnaround once he got the Trans. I got directions from the “Subfloor” on how to remove the Trans and started work in my garage. Needless to say if you would have asked me if I would be taking apart the entire rear end of a perfectly good corvette two years ago I would have told you no way! I put the Trans on a pallet and off to Texas it went. The alto clutch packs were on back order for two weeks. Then unfortunately Century had a bad run of intermediate shafts that had to be redone and that took two weeks as well. This led to a sizable queue at the shop and another two weeks was gone. All the while my wife was reminding me that summer was passing us by. I picked up the rebuilt Trans on a Friday and was back on the road by Sunday. I drove the car softly as instructed and decided to drive it to work Monday. I made it 25 miles from home and back came the Trans codes I had when this started back in May. I had to get towed home, the ride of shame. People seem to take pleasure in seeing a shinny corvette on a roll back. At Century’s suggestion I ordered and replaced the TCM and solenoids $600. I had to get the car towed so the new TCM could be flashed at the local Chevy dealership. They did the flash and went to take the car for a test drive. The tech stopped before he got to the garage door and put the car in reverse. I figured he forgot something. He pulled back into the bay and said the trans codes are back. Needless to say I was flipping out. The service manager was quick to say “that’s why you should not modify these highly engineered machines”. I asked them to do a tech two and try and trouble shoot the issue just to try and eliminate some variables. Their assessment was that the problem was a mechanical failure and most likely the clutch packs. Mike at Century advised me to remove and return the Trans for a warranty repair. Easy to say, harder to do. The dealer ship wanted 8 hours to remove it and storage fees as the car would be taking up space while the Trans got rebuilt. So back on the role back and towed back to my house. By the way another two weeks has passed. Needless to say I am getting pretty good at removing the rear cradle, differential and Trans at this point. I have also lost 5 pounds working under the car sweating my *** off in the heat we have had on the east coast this summer. Mike split the shipping costs with me and got the Trans back to me in you guessed it, two weeks. He said the 4, 5, 6 clutch pack was burnt. I put the Trans back in and now have 350 miles on it and all is well so far. It is shifting very smooth and the wife and I are cruising again with big grins on our faces. This has been a frustrating and expensive ordeal. Those of you who are considering a trip down this road be for warned it is not all roses but know this, somewhere in Mexico there is a modified Yamaha R1 with a very shocked and humbled rider who saw nothing but round tail lights and heard the sound of a corvette shifting crisp and firm at 6500 RPMs as the space between them grew exponentially until the R1 conceded defeat.

Last edited by Atomic C6; 09-19-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Le Mans Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I know the feeling, I haven't driven my car since May
Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Mans C6
I know the feeling, I haven't driven my car since May
I havent driven mine since March...

I have only put 2500 miles on it in the last year and 2 months that I have owned it.... It literally has only ran about 3 months out of the 14 months I've owned it...

First broke the tranny, took a month to fix, then broke the rear end, another month, the broke blower drive stuff....a couple weeks to fix...Then finally in March I yacked the motor...

Hopefully it will be running again in the next couple weeks...

I sure miss it though...
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 PM
wtf no turbo
Intermediate

Been down this road...why im so hesitant to mod my vette. 600rwhp in a 350z was a lot of down time and a painful mountain to climb.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 PM
demonio1023
Racer

I feel your pain, I have also been down since may of this year. Hopefully the twins will sing again this month in time for cruise week at ocean city. Glad you are enjoying the car now and nice kill!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:48 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I drove mine last time September of 2011
Old 09-19-2012, 08:32 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Tough story, but happy ending!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:57 AM
NSANEC6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'll join the club... Unfortunately I am not at all a skilled mechanic. I had to have all my work done at a shop. My desire to have what so many on these forums seem to have with little trouble cost me my entire spring and most of the summer too. 7 months my car was gone. Way to many problems and issues to list here. Not only was the car motor being fixed but all the while my motor (heart). Was not running well either... So not only was I facing not having the car but also wondering if I was going to get it back and drive it before having heart surgery. All the while my wonderful wife asking me why I had to spend a small fortune on an otherwise healthy car...and why we had to miss the entire summer of events we had planned to do together. Finally got the car back. Have put 300 miles on it since it's return. Heart surgerybwent well and luckily I have found employment after many months of searching. I wish my car shifted like butter. It doesn't but at least I have been able to make it back and fourth to a few wvents... And when it's running it's really really fast.... I have yet to go into full boost with it... Next year I hopevwill be a better year. Good luck Atomic. It was great to talk with you on the phone. Good luck with the car and you have my number if you need anything.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Le Mans Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by demonio1023
I feel your pain, I have also been down since may of this year. Hopefully the twins will sing again this month in time for cruise week at ocean city. Glad you are enjoying the car now and nice kill!
I'm hoping my car is back from ECS for the same reason. Let me know if your car will be ready for OC!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:24 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

Sounds like you made it over the hump though (just keep an eye on that stock motor to avoid round 2)

Last edited by turbotuner20v; 09-26-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

OP, I found your post very helpfull and informative. After reading your post, I was left with the impression that Century did not exactly live up to their end of the bargain. I wonder if your situation of > one week turn-around is unusual or if that is closer to the truth. What would have caused clutch packs for 4-5-6 to burn up so soon? I was surprised that Century did not pick up all shipping costs for the return/warranty work. It looks like the 6l80E you received from Century was defective from the start and that all the hoops and expense you were subjected to were of no fault of yours. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Century's service or product. However, with all that you have had to endure, I wish you only the best and hope your new Century Tranny provides service beyond your wildest expectations!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Atomic C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks to all for the comments and replies.

xjhunte I think it is possible to get a one week turnaround if everything is perfect but I leave that up to Century. Things happen at shops, especially when they are dependent on others to supply parts that are free of defects and supposed to be delivered on time. I don’t think I will ever know why or what caused the first rebuild to fail. I got three different stories from three different experts. Century said it was the solenoids. Chevy said it was a mech failure. An ASE master mechanic said it was a problem with the reassembly. It could have been me. This was my first time taking a drive train apart and putting it back together. I think that was the most frustrating part, too many variables. All I know is Century did rebuild it a second time under warranty and it is working fine now.

Last edited by Atomic C6; 09-19-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 PM
BLWN427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Gotta love humbling a R1 in Mexico from time to time. And I totally understand the lost summer of 2012. Mine has been down for about 7 months now. But I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

That's why I usually try to do my "upgrades" during the down season.

Feels pretty good to be whooping up on sportbikes huh ?

I had one start trouble with me on Sunday night.
He found it.
Same outcome.

After three tries, he gave up.

Afterwards, he rolled up real close to my door and was looking real hard at the fenders... I assume he was looking for Z06 or ZR1 badges.

He lifted his face shield and asked if I had a turbo. I said "Nope... a supercharger"
He gave me the thumbs up and said "bada$$!", then rode off.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art
That's why I usually try to do my "upgrades" during the down season.

Feels pretty good to be whooping up on sportbikes huh ?

I had one start trouble with me on Sunday night.
He found it.
Same outcome.

After three tries, he gave up.

Afterwards, he rolled up real close to my door and was looking real hard at the fenders... I assume he was looking for Z06 or ZR1 badges.

He lifted his face shield and asked if I had a turbo. I said "Nope... a supercharger"
He gave me the thumbs up and said "bada$$!", then rode off.
Well, if you see a large air filter sticking out of the fairing.Don't try it, You will get destroyed. quickly

Old 09-20-2012, 11:13 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
Well, if you see a large air filter sticking out of the fairing.Don't try it, You will get destroyed. quickly

Not to everyone, but I understand, most...... Hope we don't meet up in Mexico because you will have to get the power to the ground and for your knowledge, I had the same Hyabusa making 450........and I know what it takes
Old 09-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

This is why I typically DON'T mess with bikes.

I only ran the guy because he was on my a$$ doing wheelies at 70mph.
THAT is asking for trouble... either via Mexican Street race or an a$$whoopin.

Get notified of new replies

To The lost summer of 2012

Old 09-21-2012, 02:43 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Your bike looks familiar to me... It's not the old Super Kaos bike (Kevin's) from way back with a Velocity Stg 2 kit on it is it?

I got a little sumthin sumthin myself...

This ole dinosaur makes 320hp on pump gas and 435hp on C16...

Good little cruiser...

Last edited by ajrothm; 09-21-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:11 AM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

I had my tranny rebuilt for the third time by Century. Seems to be working all right now..but I'm afraid to really get on it. My car is not supercharged and is not making all that much H.P. Same senerio as the above. Many,many weeks of not driving and Century blamed all my problems on everything from the tune to a bad TCM. On a positive note...my installer ate the cost of all the labor for all three rebuilds and the freight back and forth. Century also charged me for some kind of an upgrade for an additional $350.00 on the third rebuild. God and Century only know why this mystery upgrade was'nt neccessary on the initial rebuild or the second rebuild. Going to a supercharger in a couple of months. Wish me luck and maybe a little prayer for this tranny. Thanks for listening to a frustrated Corvette owner. MIKE

Last edited by theofel; 09-21-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Sleeper09
Instructor

To the OP, sorry to hear about your issues with your trans. Don't feel too bad about missing the summer. For a boosted car you are ready for the best part of the summer, the end of summer. The night air is getting real nice here in Jersey and my two snails is loving every bit of it.

Quick Reply: The lost summer of 2012