C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YSI + Stock LS3

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:41 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

OP.... I did a 2008 LS3 as soon as I bought my car, it was 5 days old when I did a D1SC Procharger on a stock LS3 with a Cam, valves springs and retainers, the car made 702RWHP on pump gas with no meth and it ran great, it even did a 10.20et at E-Town @ 138.7mph.
I then turned up the boost, still on pump gas (no meth, I am not a meth fan because its a safety net for non-tuners use) (let the ramping start) its my opinion because the best tuners I know don't recomend meth. Anyhow back to the topic, I made 738rwhp for a while until I gave a friend a drive and he over-reved the motor for a substantial amount of time and broke #7 rod which went through the block.
I am now running a LS3 416 forged motor done by MCP Performance with a set of Mask Motor Sports Black Label Heads which is turned down on boost but still mad 812rwhp, a non tuner had tuned the same car using meth and made 860rwhp but used 83lbs injector and because of the maximum duty cycle (OVER 100%) on the injector, 10 days later or lets say the first power drive one stock open and washed my motor, even hydrolocked it and broke some major parts so I had to reopen it and changed the damaged parts. I now use 125cc injectors and is running 70% duty cycle with no meth and a very conservative tune to made enough rwhp to enjoy my car as a show/ cruise driven machine.

My advice is yes a stock LS3 Motor can make 650-700 rwhp safely on pump gas without having to use the safety net meth,you can also choose the safer way by tuning for E85 which runs cooler and gives a little more safer power.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by kbobk
Nope. Don't have the coin to buy the stroker just yet. No desire to pop the LS3. It is fast enough for now and makes me smile when I step on it. I came accross a AO Z06 last Sunday night here in Cypress. He must have had a blower or TT as he was right next to me on the two sprints we made. A NA Z06 would have been 10+ lengths behind, but this guy was there the whole way. He was not falling back and had a passenger, so he must have been making north of 650 to the wheels. Anyone know of a lowered AO Z06 in the Houston area that is quick like that? It is random to come across a car making good power like that.... Keeps life interesting and fun
I have a spare 416 forged motor that I am willing to sell reasonable, its new, never even started as yet and was done by MCP Performance. It interested pm me.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINIC5
I then turned up the boost, still on pump gas (no meth, I am not a meth fan because its a safety net for non-tuners use) (let the ramping start) its my opinion because the best tuners I know don't recomend meth.
This made me Lol.. as just about every big shop who has posted a build on CF, uses Meth.... I guess they are ALL "non tuners".

LOL

Last edited by White_Lightning; 08-23-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:39 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

I guess lowering IATs is a bad thing...
Old 08-23-2012, 03:56 PM
4SELLL
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbobk
I think he did. They were comp grey or black from memory....
That's bigbronco I bet,, z06 with a cam and headers makes like 560 whp
Old 08-23-2012, 06:11 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by White_Lightning
This made me Lol.. as just about every big shop who has posted a build on CF, uses Meth.... I guess they are ALL "non tuners".

LOL
Don't laugh because the real tuners don't use meth and don't recomend it to any of their customers, now what makes a big shop??? A shop that brags on the forum doesn't mean its a big shop but it sure mean its trying to get out to the members to get their business and be reconized.
A big shop that do big HP motors and run fast don't have time to deal with the petty **** on the forums, trust me, they are way too busy with work and setting records.
Now I spoke to a few top notch tuners and they said they don't recomend it because its a band-aid without medicine and its going to end up worst at the end.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:05 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Don't laugh because the real tuners don't use meth and don't recomend it to any of their customers, now what makes a big shop??? A shop that brags on the forum doesn't mean its a big shop but it sure mean its trying to get out to the members to get their business and be reconized.
A big shop that do big HP motors and run fast don't have time to deal with the petty **** on the forums, trust me, they are way too busy with work and setting records.
Now I spoke to a few top notch tuners and they said they don't recomend it because its a band-aid without medicine and its going to end up worst at the end.
Meth is a bandaid for octane in fuel... not everyone wants to run around on C16... for some of us with street cars.. meth works just fine.. i know people making good power with meth, beating the crap out of their cars for years with no problems.. you dont like it.. that's your choice..
Old 08-23-2012, 07:14 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't own a shop, but I tuned my car myself, and made more power than you with a t-trim on a stock ls6 (346 ci) on stock heads for about 2.5 years of tough driving. I never blew it up.

I honestly think you don't have a clue. You know what some shops told you.

I'm making 955rwhp now on pump and meth with a 347. Didn't blow it up either.

10.8:1, 700+ rwhp, and running straight 93 octane on an ls3.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Meth is not a bad thing to use in boosted motor, it lowers IAT and you get a little octane increase too. I'm not a "real tuner" but have been tuning my own car for a long time now with good results and haven't blown an engine. I would not run my motor boosted without the IAT cooling benefit of the meth unless I switched to something other than pump gas or ran E85.

OP, YSi is a big blower and can make a lot of boost on an LS3. Don't go for 20lbs of boost or you'll be sorry. I recommend a good meth kit and a tuner who is not going to make your car dependent on meth for fuel.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:33 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by user_name
I don't own a shop, but I tuned my car myself, and made more power than you with a t-trim on a stock ls6 (346 ci) on stock heads for about 2.5 years of tough driving. I never blew it up.

I honestly think you don't have a clue. You know what some shops told you.

I'm making 955rwhp now on pump and meth with a 347. Didn't blow it up either.

10.8:1, 700+ rwhp, and running straight 93 octane on an ls3.
Funny because with experience I know you believed CRAP, you could never say something like you're making more power than me because we never used the same dyno. Dyno is a measuring tool that is used to measure the difference in power gain and lost, not used to brag about making more power than another because every dyno are calibrated differently and can never be exact. I never seen a timeslip from you( "Or tough driving" a nice way to describe durability "lmao") and how long do you think your STOCK LS6 motor will last on pump gas with meth making 955rwhp. C'mon son, get your act together and get some knowledge first before being a follower. Oh, another thing is I met a guy with a C6 Z06 who said he had his car tuned and is now making 700rwhp because the dyno showed him that result, so check your measuring tool before talking about power made.
Fools will always be fooled but experienced is the greatest teacher

Last edited by TRINIC5; 08-23-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny because with experience I know you believed CRAP, you could never say something like you're making more power than me because we never used the same dyno. Dyno is a measuring tool that is used to measure the difference in power gain and lost, not used to brag about making more power than another because every dyno are calibrated differently and can never be exact. I never seen a timeslip from you( "Or tough driving" a nice way to describe durability "lmao") and how long do you think your STOCK LS6 motor will last on pump gas with meth making 955rwhp. C'mon son, get your act together and get some knowledge first before being a follower. Oh, another thing is I met a guy with a C6 Z06 who said he had his car tuned and is now making 700rwhp because the dyno showed him that result, so check your measuring tool before talking about power made.
Fools will always be fooled but experienced is the greatest teacher
You are a joke. You have pretty much made that point. You are spouting off about something you have to pay someone else to do. 404...expertise not found.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't laugh because the real tuners don't use meth and don't recomend it to any of their customers

There is a limit to what pump gas can handle, especially if you're stuck with 91 octane like we have out west. The bottom line is that an engine can only handle so much compression, timing and boost on a given octane. If you want more, you either need to run race gas, meth, or E85 -- which isn't easy to get in a lot of places.

Second, meth doesn't have to be a "band-aid" if it isn't tuned to be. Lots of guys tune for a safe AFR (~11.8:1) without meth, and adjust the meth flow to drop an extra point of AFR (10.8:1 or so). You get the benefit of low IATs and safe fueling if something were to fail with the meth. You can also make adjustments to pull timing if the meth fails for further protection.

I'll take low IAT's over high IAT's any day of the week.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Just an FYI, Username(Joe) knows a thing or two about building, racing, and tuning these cars.

Last edited by winters97gt; 08-23-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Just an FYI, Username(Joe) knows a thing or two about building, racing, and tuning these cars.
Trinic5 said he doesnt because he uses meth.. so clearly you are wrong!!!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:05 PM
4SELLL
Pro

I think there's a vid floating around of some 10.50s on usernames old setup. Kills on 1000hp supra with new setup but what's he know about cars.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:04 AM
KSP387
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just made it home with the C6 very impressed with the stock LS3 seems to be a very good starting point.

We have one of the very best tuners here in KY, Phillip Smith aka "Bluecat".
Old 08-24-2012, 01:05 AM
KSP387
Instructor

Originally Posted by winters97gt

Nice!

BTW, Meth does rock, I've been through gallons.

Get notified of new replies

To YSI + Stock LS3

Old 08-24-2012, 01:10 AM
KSP387
Instructor

Let me throw this into the mix TTix kit, cam, and meth all else stock............?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SELLL
That's bigbronco I bet,, z06 with a cam and headers makes like 560 whp
Yep had to have been his
Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 AM
KidTex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Detoxx03