C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conservative build for European roads, any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 03:12 PM
TallJustin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conservative build for European roads, any recommendations?

What would you do to a stock LS2 C6 manual, if constraints would be these:

- goal is 500rwhp
- car won't be taken to a track, more like daily driver
- reliability is essential (low boost?)
- should work with European 98 oct. (=93 in States?)
- wouldn't like to touch internal engine components
- everything should fit under original hood
- budget? 5...7k?

Why I am asking this? Long story short, I will be relocated to States (from Finland) for few years and thought that it would be a perfect time to get familiar with products of local car industry. After few years I'm entitled to bring the car I bought back to Europe with some tax benefits.

BUT here's the party piece. Because I have been working in States, I will be allowed to bring a car that is totally illegal by Finnish standards and register it in Finland as long as it has been legal in States
(supercharging etc. Corvette is not impossible to do in Finland either, but you need lot of money, time and at the end luck to get it through system...)

And if you are wondering why reliability is key issues to me, you would faint if you would know what repairs cost in here...

Thanks in advance. All ideas are more than welcome.

--TallJustin

PS. just for fun... stock 2008 Z06 with 7k miles on sale at my home town. asking is at the moment 132kusd

Last edited by TallJustin; 08-02-2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: my language skills...
Old 08-01-2012, 07:03 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Didn't quite understand the "no supercharging" comment, hope that's not absolute.

I bought an A&A Supercharger, its a centrifugal blower. The car meets California's strict air pollution rules. The supercharger (from A&A Supercharger in Oxnard, Ca) comes with a CARB (California Air Resources Board) certification number stamped on the blower head. This means there is to be no problem from a smog inspection station. The car is strictly legal. The supercharger, and everything all fits under the hood. It has a very "factory" appearance. There's a massive intercooler in the under bumper air intake, but it's not readily observable.

With my LS3, I'm getting 580 rwhp, with a LS2 you'd be a little less I suppose. The A&A Supercharger (a Vortec centrifugal blower head) should meet all your requirements. For example, keeping up with normal street traffic and traffic on the freeways, my enigine never goes above 2000 rpm (1700 rpm at 70 mph). Hurrah for 6.2 liters! At engine speeds below 2000 rpm, the centrifugal blower is essentially nonfunctional. It provides no significant boost (also the blow off valve is open too). This means the car is completely streetable and drives just like a stock C6. Fuel economy is essentially uneffected. My wife can drive the car. (She been warned about staying below 2000 rpm). For the no boost phase, there is no stress on the engine and a Corvette mechanic can do most repairs uneffected. (Don't let them reflash the engine computer software!)

You can start to feel boost at 2500 rpm, at 3000 rpm the nose starts to come up and the acceleration is really exhilirating. The dyno curve I recieved with the car shows a linear increase in hp up to the 580 rwhp max at engine cut out at 6500 rpm.

The turbine turns at 7.5 times crankshaft speed. At 2000 rpm, it turns 15,000 rpm. At 6500 rpm, thats 48,750 rpm. 8 psia boost at max rpm. With street driving the turbine noise is barely perceptible. When you turn the engine off, and it's silent, you can hear the turbine spooling down, it takes about 5 seconds or so..sounds neat. I'd say go with a centrifugal blower.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 08-01-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I doubt without touching the internals you'll get to 500 rwp - other than through a supercharger.

Easiest way? Supercharger - put it on and be done with it. No effect to driveability, you don't open the engine up, and you'll hit your mark. If you can bring the car back to Finland from the States, can't you just tell em' a supercharger was already on it and you're bringing it back as is? Sorry, I don't know what your rules are so I don't know why a supercharger would be a big deal.

Last edited by Fly'n Family; 08-02-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:51 AM
TallJustin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! Nice to hear some opinions

And sorry about 'no supercharging' -comment. I was just suppose to say that supercharging Corvette is not totally impossible in Finland. Should have chose my words better and learn to write in English...

Like Fly'n Family said, idea is to mod car in States and then it automatically is ok when (if) I return back to Europe.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:49 PM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TallJustin
Thanks guys! Nice to hear some opinions

And sorry about 'no supercharging' -comment. I was just suppose to say that supercharging Corvette is not totally impossible in Finland. Should have chose my words better and learn to write in English...

Like Fly'n Family said, idea is to mod car in States and then it automatically is ok when (if) I return back to Europe.
Call ECS or A&A, run 6-7 lbs of boost and make 550 whp all day long.

If you just want 500 "Brake" HP as they say in England, you will need to open the motor, cam only would get you close. My full bolt on LS2 made 400 whp, roughly 450 at the crank.

Get notified of new replies

To Conservative build for European roads, any recommendations?

Quick Reply: Conservative build for European roads, any recommendations?