C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much time do i have left? A6 4-5 slipping...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:23 AM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How much time do i have left? A6 4-5 slipping...

How much time do i have left? A6 4-5 slipping...

Under medium acceleration 4-5 slips so bad that the engine rpm will continue to climb yet there is no tranny gear engagement. When I accelerate normally it's fine. Are the clutches fried? Or could it be fluid level or something wonderfully correctable like that?

UPDATE: JUST HAD MY STOCK A6 RE- BUILT BY CENTURY. Top of the line!! Thanks Mike for doing such a great job! Billet shaft, HD Clutches!! Sweet!!!

Last edited by vettemann62; 03-12-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:16 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

3-4 is usually what gives up first. Have any tune chanes been made? You can try upping the volume on the 4-5 shift.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:55 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by DSteck
3-4 is usually what gives up first. Have any tune chanes been made? You can try upping the volume on the 4-5 shift.
but it's still usually just a temperary fix if it does work.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:31 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

For sure. If it randomly started slipping then any calibration changes are a temporary bandaid.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM
thegreenman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue, I notice it when cruising highway speed with low RPM’s and like you said use “medium acceleration” I get the slippage in 3rd or 4th. Driving normal around town or getting the RPM’s up, I have no problem with slippage. I am assuming it has something to do with TCM/ECM and timing, but that is just a guess on my part. After I finish some upgrades, I will be getting tuned again.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:05 PM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Well, everything is slipping when under heavy load. Looks like Century Transmissions is gonna get my BIZZZZ. RPM is not doing 6L80's anymore.
With shipping the tranny back & fourth & a small 2007 update (No billet shaft) it's about $3000ish. They include a 30 minute trans tune consult. They need my tranny as they don't stock cores. I'd rather them use mine anyway. This is the same tranny "Subfloor" has been running. He's at a lower HP/TQ but he also races the hell out of it without incident so far.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:55 PM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

i had century do my trans this past summer and it works great, i pulled some 1.4x 60' with it about a month ago. century also gives warranties but you wont even need it.

good luck
Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 PM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dicky
i had century do my trans this past summer and it works great, i pulled some 1.4x 60' with it about a month ago. century also gives warranties but you wont even need it.

good luck
Good to hear Dicky
Old 12-20-2011, 12:40 AM
TireSmokin
7th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

For us idiots who have HP Tuners and haven't adjusted our a6 yet with our supercharger, what are the recommendations? Not going for extreme neck snapping shifts to impress any one, just reliability adjustments.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:40 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Leave torque management active and up the shift pressure. Believe it or not, more pressure helps the clutches live longer because they slip less.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:52 AM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

(I'm a street guy only) I took off TM 100% on my stock A6 (20,000 miles on it when i did it, 10,000 since the Centri was installed) The shifts are so tight & hard you wont believe it. So much more fun.

You can also set TM at a %. Since I re-calibrated the tranny it started to decline though. So keep that in mind:-) I also have 345/18 M/T's. With TM on & the shift pressure up, the shifts still sucked. but by taking off the TM 100% that most definitely accelerated its wear. Either way 681whp with these tires is quite a load on a stock A6.

TM is part of the programming in the PCM (powertrain control module) that ultimately reduces engine torque when the transmission changes gears. Its purpose is to increase the longevity of the transmission and drivetrain as a whole. The PCM then retards ignition timing to reduce engine torque by a predetermined percentage based on the engine's torque output. This means crappy shifts but longer tranny life. Hmmmm, but i want longer tranny life & the hardest possible shifts!!

I'm looking forward to putting in Century's rebuilt a6. I guess the time is now. Century said TM could be turned off 100% with their build! Yeah Baby!! That's the way to go!!!

Having a really tight tranny with the right tune is 1/2 the fun! Having a mooshy setup sucks all the fun out of it. It's just par for the course. You lower HP guys would probably be able to remove or severely lessen TM & still have decent longevity. If your car is basically stock, I'd have TM off but say goodbye to the warrentee! I always felt the a6 shifts were the worst of any HP car I have driven. At every power level I still could not enjoy the car with TM on.

Just my 2cents

Last edited by vettemann62; 12-20-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:47 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

I'm well aware of what no torque management is like. TireSmokin asked what can be done for reliability so he isn't making the same thread you did in 5000 miles.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 AM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

I'm well aware of what no torque management is like. TireSmokin asked what can be done for reliability so he isn't making the same thread you did in 5000 miles.
Sorry, I wasn't implying you didn't. I know through your past posts that you are obviously not a beginner when it comes to matters like this. I was just elaborating on my experience with TM. I probably shouldn't have highlighted your comment, as I meant my comment for the general pop. I agree with your post since he's got a stock a6. If it's basically a stock motor, I might lessen TM's involvement.

Last edited by vettemann62; 12-20-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:29 PM
TireSmokin
7th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

That is correct. In my A6 searching I've found turning off TM makes for impressive shifts but shortens the life of the trans considerably. My understanding of TM is it retards timing during shifts. I just want a long lasting trans. I also understand the guys who make good power 600+ rwhp tend to have good luck with only mild trans adjustments. That's the goal.

My mod list:
Procharger 4.5" pully
63 pound injectors
3" cat back with short Borlas
325/25/20 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 out back

Not the fastest, but a respectable daily driver. I don't need the TransGo II shift kit feel of the old days but wouldn't mind it either. The question is how much to boost pressure and where? Across the board 5,10, 25, 50%? Oncoming Pressure Preset? Oncoming Volume Preset? Max Adapt Volume? Shift Pressure, Max Pressure is set at 276 psi now. Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Get notified of new replies

To How much time do i have left? A6 4-5 slipping...

Quick Reply: How much time do i have left? A6 4-5 slipping...