C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ultimate IAT temp cooling solution:

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 11:33 AM
The Bat Car
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The ultimate IAT temp cooling solution:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bbrunson.../0/QQ9EbjSH_X8

RX Super Chiller
Intake air charge chiller

The RX Super Chiller system is the most convenient, effective, and easiest to use intake air charge cooling system available today.
The RX Super Chiller uses the cars AC system to chill the coolant used in water to air intercoolers to temps of 22-32* F on a continuous bases as long as the car is running and the AC compressor is on. The system only adds 7-9#'s additional weight on average and reduces the intake air temps on forced induction applications by 40-60* F allowing a denser more oxygen rich intake air charge for more aggressive tuning (avg 20-50 RWHP/RWTQ increase) with out the reacuuring costs of refilling CO2 tanks, or the hassle of ice chests and the melt water/added weight.
The installed system requires only 5-6oz's additional freon and each system has a "competition mode" that allows for the cabin AC to be disabled so there is no water dripping from the moisture removed from the cabin air. Track approved for both drag & road race. (for professional road racers we have an optional remote mount 12v compressor used just for the chiller system and allows continuous use at all rpm's)
The RX Super Chiller adds NO parasitic power loss as today’s computer controlled systems the AC compressor disengages as soon as you go WOT (wide open throttle) so during your run down the strip the comp is off and their is enough residual cooling that by the time temps have risen 10-15* you are at the end of your run and the chiller kicks back on.
For street use the cabin AC works in conjunction with no noticeable reduction in the cabin AC's ability to keep you comfortable.

Available as complete add on system for most popular modern muscle cars and light trucks with custom systems for any forced induction application.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty interesting. Not many people are running air to water around here though.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:39 PM
The Bat Car
Pro

We convert to air to water so this can be used.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Very cool. It is nice to see a complete system finally available for people, as this is definitely the way to go as long as the rest of the vehicle can keep up with shedding the heat.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:35 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

We have the official product link, description and video here. Please do ask any questions you may have here. Thanks.

http://www.coloradospeed.com/index.p...ducts_id=20381
Old 12-08-2011, 05:24 PM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

what about the water that drips on the starting line when you have the a/c on
Old 12-08-2011, 06:21 PM
The Bat Car
Pro

There is none....all is explained in the first post 1/2 way down. Read through it in detail to understand the complete system. Only if you choose to run the cabin A/C along with the chiller is there and moisture drawn out of the air to drip. The chiller in competition mod the freon is chilling the liquid for the intercooler inside a sealed heat exchanger so it is not the same as running moisture laden air across the evaporator that the cabin A/C uses.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bat Car
We convert to air to water so this can be used.
How do you do this? Any install instructions with the chiller? Would like to see how involved it is going from air to air.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:50 PM
The Bat Car
Pro

Below is the twin turbo SEMA build we did this year.....we use dual water to air intercoolers (we have them in any size & shape you could imagine). The Super Chiller heat exchanger is just to the passenger side of the bumper crush frame. You would only have to add a circulating pump & coolant resivoir (we sell as well).

There is no other solution out there anywhere near as easy, effective, light weight, and allowing continueous use period.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This type of system has been discussed many times in the past and actual results have yet to be published.

Its one thing to illustrate an appreciable drop in temperatures at a very low load (idle), but how does system do at full load (boost) and how does it recover?

Some basics:

1 Hp = 2545 Btu/h (perfect system mechanical equivalent)
1 kW = 3413 Btu/h ^ Same as above
1 Btu = 1 lb of water raised or lowered 1 degree F over a unit of time (usually 1 hour in HVAC)
1 lb/m of air = ~10 Hp (approximate)
1 Psi of boost = ~12 degree F temperature rise (approximate, dependent on many variables)
Air CP (specific heat) = 0.24 Btu/lb - F
Latent heat of ice = 144 Btu/lb

For illustration only (some engine):
600 Hp = 60 lb/m (pounds minute) of air.
10 Psi = 120 F temperature rise over ambient

* So that's 60*120*0.24(specific heat of air) or 1728 Btu/m (Btu minute) load from supercharger or turbo.
* Let’s say C6 has 20,000 Btu/h (Btu hour) capacity, so that's 333.33 Btu/m (Btu minute)...
Above shows a system that is undersized for load present.

* 20,000 Btu/h has a roughly a 8.14 Hp (perfect system - 20,000/2454) load - sounds about right for smaller cabin car.

Why the math? As mentioned this type of system on a larger engine such as LS1/2/3/6/7 just doesn't add up in terms sustained load. A short throttle blip is aided by thermal mass present in overall system. I'm not sure how this can be advertised as something for road race duty, in which load time is high and cooling system recovery time low.

I'm pretty sure some will take this post as harsh, but it's a head scratcher without logs or similar with system under stress.

I'd gladly eat my words if logs can show otherwise.

Mike
Old 12-09-2011, 02:32 PM
The Bat Car
Pro

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
This type of system has been discussed many times in the past and actual results have yet to be published.

Its one thing to illustrate an appreciable drop in temperatures at a very low load (idle), but how does system do at full load (boost) and how does it recover?

Some basics:

1 Hp = 2545 Btu/h (perfect system mechanical equivalent)
1 kW = 3413 Btu/h ^ Same as above
1 Btu = 1 lb of water raised or lowered 1 degree F over a unit of time (usually 1 hour in HVAC)
1 lb/m of air = ~10 Hp (approximate)
1 Psi of boost = ~12 degree F temperature rise (approximate, dependent on many variables)
Air CP (specific heat) = 0.24 Btu/lb - F
Latent heat of ice = 144 Btu/lb

For illustration only (some engine):
600 Hp = 60 lb/m (pounds minute) of air.
10 Psi = 120 F temperature rise over ambient

* So that's 60*120*0.24(specific heat of air) or 1728 Btu/m (Btu minute) load from supercharger or turbo.
* Let’s say C6 has 20,000 Btu/h (Btu hour) capacity, so that's 333.33 Btu/m (Btu minute)...
Above shows a system that is undersized for load present.

* 20,000 Btu/h has a roughly a 8.14 Hp (perfect system - 20,000/2454) load - sounds about right for smaller cabin car.

Why the math? As mentioned this type of system on a larger engine such as LS1/2/3/6/7 just doesn't add up in terms sustained load. A short throttle blip is aided by thermal mass present in overall system. I'm not sure how this can be advertised as something for road race duty, in which load time is high and cooling system recovery time low.

I'm pretty sure some will take this post as harsh, but it's a head scratcher without logs or similar with system under stress.

I'd gladly eat my words if logs can show otherwise.

Mike
Awesome info there!

here are some real time results logged from users of the system:

I ok well I got the data off we needed, I tried to do a graph and all that but I am tired and not gonna do it now. So the dyno sheets I emailed to myself from the shop didn't work so I will go off of memory for the numbers there.

First off the A/C does kick off at WOT but comes back on around 4500RPM(we could see a dip in the dyno sheet. So for ALL the Chiller on tests we let it chill for 5 minutes between runs and just before we went WOT we turned off the A/C. Same 5 minutes were given for cool down for Chiller OFF.

Chiller OFF Data

101* AMBIENT
1st pull IAT start at 104*F end at 122*F car made 568

2nd pull IAT starts at 114*F end at 140*F car made 55? had a small amout of KR (.3)

3rd pull IAT starts at 125*F end at 145*F car made 54? had alittle more KR (.9)

Chiller ON

107* AMBIENT
1st pull IAT starts at 64*F ends at 113*F car made 56?

2nd Pull IAT starts at 66*F ends at 116*F car made 56?

3rd pull IAT starts at 66*F ends at 116*F car made 56?

Did a pulley change 3.6 to a 3.4 and went from 6psi to 7 psi and made 596 and the torque can't remember but it went up almost 50ftlbs. IAT were the same as the other runs with the chiller on.

I didn't tune for the chiller, we were pressed for time as they had 2 other cars that needed tuning and I was on the dyno most of the day doing 8-10 pulls. The tuner though we could get another 1-2 degrees of timing with IAT where they were with the chiller on but since we didn't have time to test I choose to stay where I was and be safer at the same power level. I think if your IATs are higher than 140*F you may get some HP out of this deal and be alot safer, but my car at 6-7PSI doesn't produce alot of heat.

I hope everyone is ok with the test as you can't please everyone but I did my best to keep a even playing field but temps came up as the day went on and engine coolant temps are what they are when we hit the go pedal. I will try to get some logs for the 1/4 mile but it isn't going to change any from what I have already done around here on the road and the dyno actually proved to heat up the car more than a 0-120mph run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007
just want to clarify, you cooled with chiller , then turned off chiller b4 dyno run{ just like you would do staging at tree} then after run , turned chiller back on{ just like you would do after completing track run} for 5 minutes ...cooled down for 5 minutes an ran again...sounds perfect for 10-11 second pass. summary is it lowered iats approx 40 degrees...anything i am incorrect about?..thanks..soon it will be time for track test, any idea when you may run 1/4 and log iats there...great job jeremy...exactly what i,m looking for, something to drop my 9lbs boost iat from 185 down to somewhere around 140-150..that is acceptable..tracy wanted to clarify. when chiller is on , he is totally bypassed? there is no flow thru he? correct...so during runs i would assume that he is totally ambient temps as it is not flowing or aborbing heat from the sc..and actually daily driving you really would not need to run chiller...so this is def more a track setup to cool quickly ...noit like it would really be needed on a dd...seems consisteant starting out around 65,, and climbed about 50 degrees per run, i,m sure more boost /more heat, so even if it climbs from 66 to 150 thats a 90 degree rise , that should give me a safe cushion...way better then 185 to 220

Your summary is correct.

I plan to run either saturady or next wednesday......weather permitting.

You are correct that when the chiller is ON the heat exchanger is totally bypassed, after it has chilled and got the I/C water to to 55*F or less it has enought there that it holds the cool temp just as good as if it were still on for the time it takes to do a 1/4 mile pass(approx. 30 seconds by the the time you stage the lights and leave). I was very surprised to see that compressor kick back on and stay on from about 4k rpm on, it didn't effrect the number down low but when it kicked on up high you could see a dip (5-10hp) IIRC.

I like the fact that it runs with my A/C on for DD because my runs done the raod ALL day in 100+ weather with 55-65* IATs instead of 110* IAT, I know the dyno didn't show any gain in HP but the car feels snappier than it did, not alot but it feels like it gets through the gears alittle faster than before the chiller.

I would not be so sure that it won't get you more cooling than 40*f on something hotter as it seems the 40-50* mark on my car is about the limit for how cool it can get the IATs, then again it may only get you 40-50*F to, that is one of the things that will differ from car to car and SC brand to brand.

So to date (and running in FLA where is is 95-100* and humid 3/4 of the year) wehave seen NO reduction in the cabin AC ability to cool. Todays variable output AC compressors have the ability to cool cabin AC 3-4 times the size they are used for and with the added freon (5-6 oz) and additional valve tweaks we are cooling even better than the customers experiance listed above.

Here is another with a KBMammoth with nothing but IAT issues before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo99
Why do say that?

I have to say I was unsure until it was on my car and I did my own data logging, and it seems to be very efficient, to get a 35-50*F drop in water temps AND IAT's in under 5min. is pretty impressive.

i agree, the real test is g200, he has logged 220 from 145 @ pbir , almost 80 degree spike..on a lc sc....if he can start @ 65 and raise 80 degrees , he would love to be @ 145, after his 1/4 mile run...then chill for 10 minutes and he,s completely cooled down and ready again...in turbo,s case, chiller did not really show how great it can be..{ his maggie is running decent temps}.but if it controls iats on a proven heat soaker kb, it will not be pulling 12+ degrees timing thruout its run...there was a post today " whats your temps" in texas and az...they are running in a125 degree heat, ambient air is prob 135=145 range...this would benefit them even more...imo

you meant to say iats were approx 22-24 above coolant? coolant 64 -iat 84..so i conclude that 5 minutes with just chiller on the kb will get down to approix 84f degree iat ...instead of its normal operating iats of 130..so that is approx 46 degrees...that looks good...,,,george is droolingwhile i,m
turned on the chiller and cabin air togetheer to strain the system as much as possible (unbearable outside here for heat/humidity) and within app 3-4 minutes intercooler water temps were down to 64-59 degrees (depending on city/highway. Cooler on the highway) and the IAT's were down app 22-24 degrees above the coolant, so I saw a low of 79*F and an average of 84*. This was over a 45 minute cruise. I did a few short accelerations and the chiller off IAT's rose quickly to 180 and more....with the chiller on, we never

Here's my initial report with my new super chiller; All I had to get info from was a temp gauge. This friday Tyler will be at the track with his computer and we'll be able to log real time IAT's. On the road coming home I saw 72*F with the chiller and cabin air on at 70 mph. With only the chiller, it got as low as 59*F.

On the track I made 7 passes... The car was an 11.2/120mph all night. I started every pass with temps at 70*F and ended at 98*F. Tracy tells me that in order to get at the IAT temps I have to add 22* more ( 120*F total ). The 3 minutes that it took to get my time slip and get back to the pits, the temp would drop back to around 65 to 70*F.

The temps I'm referring to are the inner cooler water temps to the KB. Ambient temp was 93*F

Just some insight with the Maggie, on my car the I/C water temp was normally 2-10* of the actual IAT, IIRC. I remeber seeing some 52* I/C water temp and seeing 55* IAT cruising.

Jamie,

I made some passes and IIRC the max IAT with the chiller was in the 110-115* mark and with it off was 155-165*.

Last edited by Grumpy; 12-09-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...le-thread.html
Old 12-09-2011, 05:27 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Itll be great to see a write up for a corvette

Old 12-09-2011, 05:35 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
Itll be great to see a write up for a corvette

It will. The Camaro5 has already been done which is great. What's best is these units are pretty much bolt on. :P
Old 12-09-2011, 05:36 PM
The Bat Car
Pro

Have these in several C6's. Similar results.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:37 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Skunkworks

Mike
Not at all Mike. These are the questions that should be asked as others may have them. And we fully support anyone who has these kind of questions. It helps us think a little more too and see issues that may arise that you think of that we haven't thought of.

See what I mean?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:25 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I followed an earlier CF thread where the concept of a Killer Chiller was being discussed and a proto-type was being installed and tested. The thread eventually dwindled away into obscurity without any confirming data on how well this configuration performed. After installing the E-Force and working my way through several pully's, starting with the 3.875" @ approx 2 lbs of boost, I currently have the 3.25" pulley producing just under 6 lbs of boost @ 6200 rpm. I run my 06 Vert at Bandimere where typical DA's read 9,200 feet. Typical IAT's (ambient dependant) at the start range from 125* to 145* and at the finish, from 151* to 170*. Packing the E-Force in Ice and the use of Manual Fan controls help a bit in controlling IAT's but nothing like the results you have posted using the RX Killer Chiller. I am interested but need to know more. Any pictures of the RX installed on a C6. With the E-Force and two catch cans, not a lot of room left under the hood. Any install instructions available on line?

Get notified of new replies

To The ultimate IAT temp cooling solution:

Old 12-10-2011, 08:20 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jxhunte
I am interested but need to know more. Any pictures of the RX installed on a C6. With the E-Force and two catch cans, not a lot of room left under the hood. Any install instructions available on line?
Id like to see as well. I know you are all just selling it, But I saw on your site its $1000? Seems a bit much for a container and some pre cut lines BUT Its still would be nice to see some type of package list with an install pertaining to a corvette to drop that kind of money
Old 12-11-2011, 04:46 PM
The Bat Car
Pro

Here is a E-Force on a new GS:

Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,696 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by jxhunte
I followed an earlier CF thread where the concept of a Killer Chiller was being discussed and a proto-type was being installed and tested. The thread eventually dwindled away into obscurity without any confirming data on how well this configuration performed.
There were results of this earlier system installed on a Gen3 or Gen4 truck posted on PT.net. I don't remember if it was installed on an MP112, MP122, TVS1900, or TVS2300. Off the top of my head, since it's probably been a couple of years, the IATs were reduced by 20* to 25*.

If I was running my truck at the track I would definitely be interested in this system. The MP112 runs high IATs and quite a bit of timing is being pulled after my foot's been in the throttle for a while. I don't feel the need for running on the street.

Quick Reply: The ultimate IAT temp cooling solution: