C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortech V3 noises

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Tree1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech V3 noises

Just trying to see if there is any other similar stories out there. I put my Vortech self-oiled V3 on my C6 last year. When I first started the car up, the supercharger sounded like it had a thrown bearing or something, but was told that it was normal. It worked fine, so I never questioned it.

I usually do my own work, until I was going to do a radiator flush. I had no way of properly disposing of the fluid, so I took it down the street for a local mechanic to do the flush. At that point, he told me that the supercharger was shot. Said that is is supposed to be quiet until you get on it.

It sounds like it did the day I put it on the car, and the local mechanic has no experience with the V3 so that is why I am asking. What does your V3 sound like at idle?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:19 PM
PureAdrenaline
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Typical sound of the V3si. I spoke with several people including Vortech. The noise you are hearing is gear lash. Once you bring up the rpm that will smooth out. At idle the flow is not steady through the supercharger due to pulsations through the intake. The slop in the gears causes it to rattle. Dont worry about it unless it makes the rattle noise up in the rpm band. To be on the safe side it is very easy to check the oil level. Don't confuse this sound with the gear whine it will also make. If you have any more concerns I recommend you call Vortech csutomer service. They were very helpful.

Clay
Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Tree1985
Instructor

Thanks! I will call them and it is good to know that is normal.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:43 AM
SLVRCPE
Racer

Mine sounds sloppy at idle as well. It smooths out at any RPM increase above idle.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Tree1985
Thanks! I will call them and it is good to know that is normal.
My V2 T-trim is kinda noisy at idle as well. Not as bad as a Procharger but quite a bit louder than I thought it would be. As RPM's pick up a bit it smooths out to a nice smooth whistle that we all love to hear. Tell the 'mech' not to worry about the sound and just concentrate on a good flush and make sure he gets all the air out of the system.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 AM
bbudman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never heard a silent Vortech supercharger. I had a V2 SQ on one of my Mustangs and it had gear chatter at idle. Perfectly normal and not a problem.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

can any one offer up a sound/video clip?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:15 PM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

LOL, this post made me chuckle. I thought mine was shot too after one particularly noisey cold start up, especially when I popped the hood and there was oil on the brackets. Turns out the oil was from my breather and that noise you are hearing is 100% normal.

I even called A&A when I thought a bearing was shot, and they genuinely seemed pretty shocked, saying they have not had a single V3 come back due to bearing failure.

Remember to change your oil every 7,000 miles.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Oil Rig Pilot
Intermediate

I concur... I have the self-lubed v3, SI trim on my 2008 coupe. It sounds great at RPM...and even smooth at idle... I have about 10k miles on it since new and installed. It sounds SO WICKED when i get into it...and at idle it just purrs !!! like a cat. a little whistle...but, not gear noises though.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 PM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 71'AirStrike
can any one offer up a sound/video clip?
Here's a V-3 on a Mustang. Should sound the same on any car. Blower sound starts at :45 mark. Rest of the video is kinda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8w87A1cupw
Old 09-20-2021, 07:39 PM
4.6 stangerrrr
1st Gear

Originally Posted by PureAdrenaline
Typical sound of the V3si. I spoke with several people including Vortech. The noise you are hearing is gear lash. Once you bring up the rpm that will smooth out. At idle the flow is not steady through the supercharger due to pulsations through the intake. The slop in the gears causes it to rattle. Dont worry about it unless it makes the rattle noise up in the rpm band. To be on the safe side it is very easy to check the oil level. Don't confuse this sound with the gear whine it will also make. If you have any more concerns I recommend you call Vortech csutomer service. They were very helpful.

Clay
See I thought the same, but when giving it some gas it keeps the rattle going, thought maybe it was seals and bearing, but when feeling pulley and spool the pulley has some play so that leads me to think it’s a problem with the gears? any explanation on what i should do or what the issue is??
Old 09-20-2021, 08:25 PM
SLVRCPE
Racer

Wow -Blast from the past thread!

NE way, I mentioned mine had chatter at idle, I replaced the harmonic balancer on that car to an SFI rated piece and all that noise went away. I am guessing a new OE balancer would have netted same results. That car is gone now. I would not install a new SC without replacing the balancer at the same time, unless the car is almost new.

Get notified of new replies

To Vortech V3 noises

Quick Reply: Vortech V3 noises