C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My UPP Twin Turbo thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:41 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thanks,

I dont expect the paint to last, i just couldn't put rusty manifolds on.

Today, i got the intercooler mounted and the tube to the tb. Ive started to mock up the drivers side turbo, but the turbo is not going where i want it. It looks like ill have to reclock my tick master clutch cylinder because the downpipe wants to lay right next to it.

I did take the next two days off of work so i could finish this, so hopefully i dont run into any show stoppers.

CK, could you post up some pictures of the drivers side turbo and the trimming you did to the inner fender liner.

thanks again

-Carl
Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I guess I'm getting old.I can't imagine taking on a first time project like this and still trying not to be late for work.Funny thing.The guy doing the C5 with the same kit is trying to get it done to be on time for work.
Keep up the good work.

Last edited by 396375; 07-27-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:28 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

engine bay

intercooler

clearance between turbo and tire. 1/2 inch with full suspension sag. not enough, at ride height the tire will hit.

i think this up pipe is made wrong, it should be further back. but ive tried to move it back as far as possible but halft the turbine is still sitting on the other side of the wheel liner.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:11 AM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the part that concerns me about this kit the most, it seem way too close for the front tires. What kind of clearance issues are everyone having with this kit?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by debo
That's the part that concerns me about this kit the most, it seem way too close for the front tires. What kind of clearance issues are everyone having with this kit?
Really there have been zero clearance issues with the turbos and exhaust. We did have a few with the C5 intercooler pipes on the lowered cars, and that's how we figured out the hole in the fenderwell has to be as high as possible. And on the very first C6, where we figured out that we had to trim more out of the head light bucket where it goes through to allow it to sit further forward.

Carl, put the down pipe on there and look where it's going, make sure it's aligned right and that you're not hitting it. That's why we recommend to preassemble all of it. It may be really clear when you have the DP on that the angle is wrong, or it needs to shift one way or the other, or it may be in place. The W/G v-band does sit inside the wheel well housing on that side, and the clearances are tight, but nothing should hit.

And your master cylinder shouldn't be in the way at all, unless it's been changed with an aftermarket one?

CK
Attached Images      
Old 07-28-2011, 12:35 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

ya, im using a tick master cylinder, but i think i can make it work. im guess the bottom two are pictures of a c6, and it looks like the flange is level with the frame. im just gonna grind and grind until it fits. i tried to mount the uppipe and downpipes to the turbos and install as one unit, but im doing this solo, and even with two jacks, i can get the turbo in place where i want it but then i cant get the uppipe to the manifold. oh well, back to work.

-Carl
Old 07-28-2011, 12:39 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by carlrx7
ya, im using a tick master cylinder, but i think i can make it work. im guess the bottom two are pictures of a c6, and it looks like the flange is level with the frame. im just gonna grind and grind until it fits. i tried to mount the uppipe and downpipes to the turbos and install as one unit, but im doing this solo, and even with two jacks, i can get the turbo in place where i want it but then i cant get the uppipe to the manifold. oh well, back to work.

-Carl
Yea an extra set of hands for this part is VERY useful! lol, For the grinding, we just hold it somewhat in place and make a rough marking, then shave it slightly more as needed till it's a nice fit.

CK
Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 PM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CK I noticed you mentioned up above you are looking to get some parts waterjetted for the c6/camaro. So does that mean this turbo kit or one of yours works for the Camaro platform as well?

Carl, Looks great and cannot wait to see your final results. I have a similar kit and plan to actually drill a hole through the frame and then have a shop cut a piece of rollbar tubing or similar through the hole and weld it to make sure there is no lack of strength in that location to run a oil line through that rather than all the way under the frame. To eliminate the need for a scavenge pump, and have the oil lines return the oil pan on both sides. Just an idea.

Can you PM more info on what you did to relocate the batter to the rear cubby where the Onstar box is? Mainly how you moved it or removed it?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ubby-hole.html

^^ goto the thread i made above.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by adam205348
CK I noticed you mentioned up above you are looking to get some parts waterjetted for the c6/camaro. So does that mean this turbo kit or one of yours works for the Camaro platform as well?

Carl, Looks great and cannot wait to see your final results. I have a similar kit and plan to actually drill a hole through the frame and then have a shop cut a piece of rollbar tubing or similar through the hole and weld it to make sure there is no lack of strength in that location to run a oil line through that rather than all the way under the frame. To eliminate the need for a scavenge pump, and have the oil lines return the oil pan on both sides. Just an idea.

Can you PM more info on what you did to relocate the batter to the rear cubby where the Onstar box is? Mainly how you moved it or removed it?
This kit doesn't fit the Camaro, we developed one specifically for the camaro. We aren't completely done with the instructions/documentation yet, so it's not officially released.
Attached Images   
Old 07-31-2011, 11:17 AM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CK@UPPCOS
Really there have been zero clearance issues with the turbos and exhaust. We did have a few with the C5 intercooler pipes on the lowered cars, and that's how we figured out the hole in the fenderwell has to be as high as possible. And on the very first C6, where we figured out that we had to trim more out of the head light bucket where it goes through to allow it to sit further forward.

CK
The reason I ask because as you look at the turn radius of the front tires, the space between tire and turbo look real tight and you don't even have the fender liners on.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:28 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Ive gotten it all mocked up now and all the trimming has been done. now i need to remove it all put some sealant on all the flanges. also got the oil pressure lines installed and routed,

but i sidetracked myself with tweaking the radiator fan shroud. i cut into it pretty good to clear my a&a filter inlet. i patched it up with some fiberglass and added some foam to make a better seal against the radiator.

some pics.

-Carl
Old 08-06-2011, 12:50 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Im having trouble test fitting the fender on the passenger side, am i supposed to cut into the fender ducting?

-Carl
Old 08-06-2011, 01:57 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

That's one heck of a lot of work to install one of these kits.

BJK
Old 08-06-2011, 01:59 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

tell me about it,,,,

-carl
Old 08-06-2011, 02:34 PM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carl do you have a pic of the passenger side without the fender on, and the driver side?
Old 08-06-2011, 05:20 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you've ever installed a turbo kit, then you know these kinds of "adjustments" and rejiggerings are not uncommon and are, in fact, par for the course.

Putting a turbo kit on a C5 or a C6 is NO SMALL TASK... Especially a kit with twins...................

Carl, I commend you! You should be getting close to smelling exhaust! Then the fun of tuning! Let me know if you need any help with a baseline tune, bro!

Get notified of new replies

To My UPP Twin Turbo thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:48 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Ok. I remounted the turbo up higher so I could clock the turbo closer inside.

Fender fits fine now.

Will finish te passenger side tomorrow, watching UFC 133 now.

-Carl
Old 08-07-2011, 03:05 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Dang it! I was looking forward to that awkward hole in the fender.

BJK
Old 08-07-2011, 01:42 PM
eric04
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Quick Reply: My UPP Twin Turbo thread