C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Innovaters West OD pulley issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 09:25 PM
WickdGS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Innovaters West OD pulley issue?

I'm having a lot of belt issues since going to 8 rib on my A&A V3si kit. I'm still working on correcting main belt issues but currently I'm also wondering about the a/c belt as it keeps riding forward on my 8" OD IW crank pulley. This is the newer style pulley with the secondary drive ribs and my a/c belt keeps riding up on the smooth part separating the secondary and a/c drive ribs until it eventually jumps. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Last edited by WickdGS; 11-14-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:09 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Old 11-15-2017, 12:14 AM
CaddyTech
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interested also as I'm about to install the same pulley
Old 11-15-2017, 10:44 AM
Mrbluedevil88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try calling A&A and see what they say. Sounds like that belt has some slack in it
Old 11-16-2017, 09:33 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Check with a laser alignment tool, adjust as necessary.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:35 PM
gameover4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nullpointer
Check with a laser alignment tool, adjust as necessary.
agreed here. i have new style A&A secondary drive and have no issues. there inst any adjustment in ac and shouldn't of moved. are you sure you installed balancer all the back?
Old 11-16-2017, 01:29 PM
WickdGS
Advanced

I spoke with Josh @ A&A yesterday and he said he’s never heard of this with all the IW crank pulleys he’s sold. He, myself , as well as Justin at Asylum Motorsports who assembled the long block for me agreed there shouldn’t be much if any adjustments with the a/c compressor as the bolts are shouldered to center it and the crank pulley is the most “true” of all the pulleys on the car. If by chance the crank pulley wasn’t all the way seated then I would think the belt would be jumping backwards on the pulley and not forward.... So I’m going to check to see if the a/c spring tensioner is bad and deflecting causing the belt to ride forward. I find it hard to believe with only 30k miles but I guess anything is possible.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Did you figure out what was going on? I ordered this setup this week.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:17 PM
WickdGS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tech
Did you figure out what was going on? I ordered this setup this week.
The tensioner seemed fine. I removed the belt and loosened the bolts holding the compressor on and retightened. To the naked eye it definitely looked aligned better. I just got the car back on the road today after getting my Mechman alternator warrantied so I haven’t had a chance to drive it much yet.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 PM
WickdGS
Advanced

Well. Trailered to the track Sunday, made four passes and realized the a/c belt was hanging under the car when I reloaded it on the trailer. Really leaning towards this balancer being the cause of all my belt issues. I’m considering just swapping to an ATI pulley after the holidays. I took a few pics with the laser and it appears half a rib off at most. Anyone have any thoughts??

Old 12-05-2017, 09:02 PM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the blower/water pump belt lines up and the accessory belt lines up seems like the issue should be strictly the AC position. I just picked up the secondary drive and have an ATI balancer I can compare for you if that helps. Heck...my ATI is probably going to be for sale
Old 12-05-2017, 09:17 PM
WickdGS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Six-Gun-Todd
If the blower/water pump belt lines up and the accessory belt lines up seems like the issue should be strictly the AC position. I just picked up the secondary drive and have an ATI balancer I can compare for you if that helps. Heck...my ATI is probably going to be for sale
I’m still running serpentine 8 rib on everything else, no secondary drive. But I still have issues with the main belt beginning to squeak after a couple hundred miles of use. So I think it’s being pulled/pushed by the lip of one the pulleys until it wears the edge of the belt enough to begin squeaking. Since I’m also throwing a/c belts I’m think the crank pulley is the culprit. Maybe I can get some measurements from someone else with this IW pulley and compare to mine

Last edited by WickdGS; 12-05-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WickdGS
I’m still running serpentine 8 rib on everything else, no secondary drive. But I still have issues with the main belt beginning to squeak after a couple hundred miles of use. So I think it’s being pulled/pushed by the lip of one the pulleys until it wears the edge of the belt enough to begin squeaking. Since I’m also throwing a/c belts I’m think the crank pulley is the culprit. Maybe I can get some measurements from someone else with this IW pulley and compare to mine
Yup me.....just hit my door today.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:43 PM
Tech
Safety Car

My pulley was supposed to be here today. LMK if you want measurements off the engine.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:49 AM
WickdGS
Advanced

That would be awesome from you guys! Are either of you dry sump?

Last edited by WickdGS; 12-06-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

That would be awesome from you guys! Are either of you dry sump?
Dry sump and eight rib so exactly the same as yours
Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 AM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm running the 2nd belt on the same setup. I get noise for about 3-5 mins when I start it up cold. Your post got my thinking it could be the belts rubbing together that is causing it.

Get notified of new replies

To Innovaters West OD pulley issue?

Old 12-06-2017, 01:49 PM
WickdGS
Advanced

Originally Posted by ysb02
I'm running the 2nd belt on the same setup. I get noise for about 3-5 mins when I start it up cold. Your post got my thinking it could be the belts rubbing together that is causing it.

If I’m seeing it right, it does look like the lip of your a/c belt is slightly riding on the secondary drive belt. I wish these balancers actually had a lip that separates the two drives. All noises I’ve had have been from the serpentine.

Last edited by WickdGS; 12-06-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:01 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

There's a lip between them but the belt may be rubbing before it goes into the grooves:

Old 12-06-2017, 03:00 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Obviously alignment is very important for all the belts.....

I used to get noise from my AC belt, for a few seconds whenever I turned on the AC, or started the car with the AC on.

I changed the belt for a Continental Elite (old gatorback) and changed the AC tensioner for a new supposed heavy duty one. It is supposed to be stronger, but it might just be that my original one got weaker with time, because it did feel stronger when checked manually.

Since then never a peep out of the belt.

Quick Reply: Innovaters West OD pulley issue?