C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dallas Performance / APS Twin Turbo - Build Thread with pics C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
0Taylor@DallasPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
As mentioned above, now the housings will be avalaible, have you guys got any plans to ge the manifolds cast? Be a shame not see see more of these kits out htere.

Chris.

Not sure why anyone would spend the energy to reproduce these housings? Our custom kits use standard housings.

Yes we have been looking into making cast manifolds that will use standard T3 housings (not T25).
Old 02-10-2011, 02:04 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor@DallasPerformance
Not sure why anyone would spend the energy to reproduce these housings? Our custom kits use standard housings.

Yes we have been looking into making cast manifolds that will use standard T3 housings (not T25).
Can T25 flanged turbos w/ internal wastegates work properly without boost creep?

I've always been fascinated by that wild external wg piping setup, but is it really needed?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
Can T25 flanged turbos w/ internal wastegates work properly without boost creep?

I've always been fascinated by that wild external wg piping setup, but is it really needed?

At lower pressure ratios sure. As you push the turbos harder it really needs the external gate.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:14 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

At lower pressure ratios sure. As you push the turbos harder it really needs the external gate.
How do you define "lower pressure ratios"?

BJK
Old 02-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
How do you define "lower pressure ratios"?

BJK
It's not a scientific term

Lots of variables there to contend with. Type of actuator, manifold pressure VS exhaust manifold pressure (pressure ratio), heat, rigidity of actuator rod, etc.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:01 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by LJo
That is one of the best Z06's I have seen, and I am a big hater on Orange. I can't wait to see the rest of this build.

As always, lookin good DP!
would u expect anything less from DP?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:13 AM
427silverhotrod
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonypittman
Taylor can answer the rest. I can just say that the Akrapovic mufflers are staying on the car.
I would like to see pic's of how you will mod the Akrapovic to mount to the A.P.S system Flanges. I would like to install the Akrapovic at some point to save some weight.
Note you will love all the new power and it is very flexable just turn it up for more power. Mine made 663rwhp 576rwtq at very low boost. Now I'm just looking for some traction!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Former Vendor

Pictures coming. Tony did not have the optional Akrapovic X-pipe so we modified a stock C6 Z06 H-pipe we had laying around the shop. Basically just shortened the H-pipe, welded on the APS flanges, and connected the Akrapovic catback
Old 02-12-2011, 01:40 PM
atomicC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good Taylor...
Old 02-12-2011, 09:10 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Drives OK too!

http://gallery.me.com/tonypittman#10...&bgcolor=black
Old 02-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Former Vendor

We finished up the install of the twin turbo kit, and Tony has picked up the car. We imagine he’s out driving in the great weather we have had. Here are the last pictures we took after the installation was complete. You will notice that the charge pipe has been slightly modified. After discussing with Tony and receiving his approval, we sanded down the lettering and black coating and had the charge pipe painted body color to emphasize it in the engine bay, and also to tie in better with painted intake manifold cover. We also had some of the surrounding panels for the intercoolers powdercoated black, so they didn’t take attention away from some of the other details under the hood.

The painted charge pipe:

The pieces we powdercoated black can be seen on the left of this photo:

Slightly over-exposed, but hopefully you can see some detail in the darker areas:

Everything all tidied up underneath:

Modified factory H-pipe with the APS flanges:

Below is an overlay of the baseline dyno and the TT dyno, showing a healthy 174 whp / 141 trq gain over the baseline. Keep in mind, the baseline dyno had an intake and longtube headers. On a stock ZO6, our APS install would give you almost a 200whp gain, with stock like driveability, a great torque curve, and the ability to grow to 1000+ whp with a built motor and fuel system.

Uncorrected dyno chart:

And finally a quick video of Tony’s car on the dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoyjDbCv4oo

We would just like to thank Tony again for giving us the opportunity to install this kit on his car. We know Tony had the choice to take his vehicle to any one of the several shops in the DFW metroplex that work on Corvette’s, and he trusted us to work our magic on his beautiful car. We hope you enjoy your new found power, and remember we are just a phone call away if you need us.

For anyone else interested in one of the two remaining APS twin turbo kits, call us at the shop so we can schedule a date to install one.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

That car is freaking beautiful. Hats off to the very nice work from the Dallas Performance crew.

Enjoy the new power, Tony.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 PM
427silverhotrod
Pro

Very nice power numbers and it looks great. Are you running just off waste gates springs to get that 6lbs boost or do you have a controller? Can I see your air/fuel graff? I was only running at 5lbs and might kick it up to 6lbs to get that 600ftlbs TQ. Very nice Job.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 427silverhotrod
Very nice power numbers and it looks great. Are you running just off waste gates springs to get that 6lbs boost or do you have a controller? Can I see your air/fuel graff? I was only running at 5lbs and might kick it up to 6lbs to get that 600ftlbs TQ. Very nice Job.

It's running off the wastegate spring - no boost controller. Should be the same boost as yours if you are running off the wastegates. The dyno uses a sensor that reads up to 72psi so it's not super accurate at such low boost and could be more like 5 psi peak. It's mainly used for reference from one day to the next of for before and after changes.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:30 AM
427silverhotrod
Pro

It's running off the wastegate spring - no boost controller. Should be the same boost as yours if you are running off the wastegates. The dyno uses a sensor that reads up to 72psi so it's not super accurate at such low boost and could be more like 5 psi peak. It's mainly used for reference from one day to the next of for before and after changes.
Mine did not have low boost spring in the waste gates MC Racing put a boost gage on the top of the inner cooler to read boost and mine with the springs it had was reading 9lbs @ 2600rpm so they swap out and put in some 3lb springs and are using my boost controler to adjust boost. I was just wanting your thought on running 6lbs and noticed your TQ was a little higher 576 to 601 and my power was a little higher @663 I'm not trying to make max power and do not want to have problems but if I could run more and still be safe
Also did you retain the front brake air ducks if so how? Did you mod the duck work?

Last edited by 427silverhotrod; 02-15-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Former Vendor

Hey Tony, just courious how the car is doing? Are you going to Good Guys show this weekend?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:28 AM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Loving the car...It's lots of fun. Had it at the Capital One Spring Classic in Plano on Saturday.

Let me know when you have some creative boost gauge ideas for me!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:04 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

For those interested, the car will be on display at the Dallas International Auto Show starting this Thursday and going through Sunday afternoon.

http://www.dallasautoshow.com/

Look for the Lone Star Corvette display section.

Quick Reply: Dallas Performance / APS Twin Turbo - Build Thread with pics C6 Z06