C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TT or S/c which do you like better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:59 AM
427silverhotrod
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
Tractor pulls are diesels which only rev to 3500. No gas motor unless its WAY under turboed will make 10psi by 2800 off a dead idle.
But your saying it is posible. LOL
Originally Posted by Jasil
^^^^^^^
TT over SC for street and drag when it comes to roadcourse NA all the way unless you are just playing around.

The fact is a SC setup is much cheaper, so your question is just a hard one to answer. Then front mounted TT setups have this never ending underhood heat issue creeping up. This seems to be a ongoing problem unless someone has a fix? I hate every aftermarket hood available for the C6 and that seems to be the only thing that is helping lower temps, so that would kill any front mount TT kit for me.
So you hate my hood, I'm hert, but it does let that heat out.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:57 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Lots great of great info in here guys, thank you.. your all providing some really good information and it will help a lot of people I feel.

My personal preference is the tt for the lack of strain on the crank and the silence and free power and the ability to ultimately make more power easier I think. The s/c is by far the easier and cheaper kit for sure, which bums me as I would like to offer a competitive TT kit (I'm sure there are others who feel the same way)

I guess the next question and I suppose really ties to application is more linear power better for all around use ?

Last edited by 99blancoss; 11-20-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In theory it would be what does it matter? Really, either route will produce more power than any roadcourse tire could ever handle, will produce more power than what any non DR tire could handle, and both will run 8's/9's given the right set up.

It comes down to what you like and ultimately for most of us how much $$$$ we/you are willing to spend....unlimited pocket book TT all day long.

It's much better to say these are my goals and then work towards a solution than just using hypotheticals good luck in your quest.

Last edited by Jasil; 11-20-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:45 PM
jmoody66
Drifting

I vote TT and I have experienced both. I am currently running a Vortech Ysi and a forged 402 but I used to have the STS TT setup and I miss it so much. Belt issues, having to buy supporting crap like a flip drive at close to 800 bucks and no adjustability of boost other than changing a pulley. No traction in first, second and some of 3rd. My TT at 14 lbs of boost would eat me alive with my 20 lbs I have now.....simply traction limited.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:25 AM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoody66
I vote TT and I have experienced both. I am currently running a Vortech Ysi and a forged 402 but I used to have the STS TT setup and I miss it so much. Belt issues, having to buy supporting crap like a flip drive at close to 800 bucks and no adjustability of boost other than changing a pulley. No traction in first, second and some of 3rd. My TT at 14 lbs of boost would eat me alive with my 20 lbs I have now.....simply traction limited.
My last belt lasted over 3 years, then I sold the car, it's probably still going strong. The boost can easily be adjusted with a laptop.
I'd say on Corvettes a huge percentage more are supercharged over turbo. That doesn't mean it's better, but knowledge and support will be easier to find. If you don't want any maintenance, get heads and cam.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:02 AM
mitchdb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A supercharger is CHEAP????

Would someone PLEASE remind Taylor of this??? HAHA!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 AM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by mitchdb
A supercharger is CHEAP????

Would someone PLEASE remind Taylor of this??? HAHA!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
Lots great of great info in here guys, thank you.. your all providing some really good information and it will help a lot of people I feel.

My personal preference is the tt for the lack of strain on the crank and the silence and free power and the ability to ultimately make more power easier I think. The s/c is by far the easier and cheaper kit for sure, which bums me as I would like to offer a competitive TT kit (I'm sure there are others who feel the same way)

I guess the next question and I suppose really ties to application is more linear power better for all around use ?
I'd double check your "free power" statement... There is no free ride.

A good close coupled turbo will have a backpressure to boost ratio of 1.6:1, but typically it is 2:1. So as an example (with 2:1) if you make 10 PSI of boost you'll have 20 PSI backpressure in exhaust manifold.

Good close coupled (close to exhaust port) turbo will be more efficient then crank coupled supercharger, but no free ride. How much more efficient depends on layout.

Mike
Old 11-23-2010, 01:54 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

So what do you think that back pressure equates to in HP loss?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:47 PM
jmoody66
Drifting

Default Lol

Not ANYWHERE near what you lose on the SC setup fo sho
Old 11-23-2010, 03:53 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jmoody66
Not ANYWHERE near what you lose on the SC setup fo sho
Yea I realize that but I maybe he has a good idea of the figure.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Too many variables to give a clear cut answer, but the generally accepted number is 40% of the power it takes to drive a supercharger. So if it takes 100 hp to drive a supercharger (lets say centri) then you could expect 40 hp for similar mass flow and boost (lower boost on turbo because it doesn't have to make up 60 hp).

The caveat here is it's more difficult to package turbo(s) on C5/6 so efficiency can be down a bit (lower heat and exhaust pulse energy) or allot with system like STS.

I'm sure most know with turbo turbines it's about heat and exhaust pulse energy (the impulse) that will dictate baskpressure to boost ratio, but correct sizing/matching has to be good too.

Mike

Quick Reply: TT or S/c which do you like better?