C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my E-Force today - NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 PM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Installed my E-Force today -UPDATE [Caution Dumbass Alert]

Finally had time to start my install . Got the kit last month from Parts Taxi. Excellent service by the way, I got it in just a few days.

I pinned the crank and installed an LS9 cam ( no flames please, it is already in there) last month, so I was expecting a fairly easy install.

Everything was going fine until I installed the valley cover. I THOUGHT it was machined incorrectly because it did not sit flush. I was dissapointed and went about the rest of the install. Figured I 'd talk to Edelbrock and get a new one shipped Monday.Today I did more work and was in no particular hurry as I knew I was not going to get done. A little while ago I picked up the valley plate as I was going to measure it and post some pictures so others with the kit could check theirs before installing. I took the original part off the motor where I left it and noticed right away it has a spacer / gasket that comes off and was to be re-used with the new plate. I had already transferred the o-rings from old to new. Don't know where my head was. That was a real bonehead move for sure. Now it is kind of late in the day, but I'll get a bit more done this evening and maybe have time to finish up tomorrow. My punishment for being so stupid was to set the blower in place by myself, which was not that much fun.

I wish I didn't waste all that time today, it would be done by now for sure.

Edelbrock does not get all the way off the hook though. Two bolts for mounting the blower are missing as is one of the pre formed hoses. for the intercooler pump. The hose is just an elbow, so I can probably get one that will fit. I'll hit up the local hardware store with an extensive hardware section tomorrow and see if I can find the two bolts.

Now if I can avoid any more attacks of stupdity....

Last edited by wallyj; 10-31-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyj
Finally had time to start my install . Got the kit last month from Parts Taxi. Excellent service by the way, I got it in just a few days.

I pinned the crank and installed an LS9 cam ( no flames please, it is already in there) last month, so I was expecting a fairly easy install.

Everything was going fine until I installed the valley cover. It is apparently machined incorrectly and will not sit flush. I did not notice it until I started to tighten it down. Edelbrock support is closed today, so I guess my car will sit all week. I am sooooo dissapointed.

Good thing is I can get almost everything else done this weekend and finish up pretty quickly next Saturday if Edelbrock steps up and gets me a replacement valley cover in time.

I'll post some picks and other info on the install tomorrow. Too disgusted to do it now
I start an install next weekend on a 2008...would like to see a photo of the misfit area when you have a chance.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:36 PM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is dissappointing. Sorry
Old 10-30-2010, 08:52 PM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
I start an install next weekend on a 2008...would like to see a photo of the misfit area when you have a chance.
Will do Ken
Old 10-30-2010, 10:13 PM
laz51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on the install Wally, sorry to hear you ran into problems. It will be great to see how the manufacturer handles the situation. From their reputation / cost of that kit the replacement should be overnighted.

What are the complaints against the LS9 cam? That's the setup I'm interested in running. I've been reading up before making the purchase for my 07 z51.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Streetfast
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LS9 cam works great. I'm not sure why some people are so much against it. If you want a cam sound this may not be the cam for you. I can not tell my car has a different a cam in it, it is so quiet. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:03 AM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by laz51
What are the complaints against the LS9 cam? That's the setup I'm interested in running. I've been reading up before making the purchase for my 07 z51.
Lots of folks say there are better cams for this application, and I'm certain they are correct. There are also better blowers than the E-Force and for that matter better cars than the Vette. It is a compromise, as are all performance related decisions.

As for the cam choice, I'll admit to being lazy, not doing extensive research, picking a inexpensive cam that did not require valve springs (yes,some argue that point too). I think the cam will meet my needs, and it does idle like stock as to be expected for an OEM cam.

All that said, some have made very good numbers with it.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:44 AM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

It's your car and money. Do what you want. Alot of people are very happy with that cam. ECS uses them with great results.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:57 PM
laz51
Instructor

Our goals for the install sound similar. I don't want to change the look or sound of the car drastically. I want a lot of power but still want to have a car that still runs like stock when off throttle. The EForce has a really great integrated look and feel. It's my first choice so far. My car is an A6 so much further north of 650 and I'm pushing it. Sorry for the threadjack. Good luck with the install.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:55 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry to hear your misfitting valley cover was due to human error, but glad to know that it was an "installer" error that is easily correctable, instead of a systemic problem with their design.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Vert_Fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I call this a success!! Good job, it's going to be some fun.

Now if you would have called them and told them their stuff was wrong......then that's a different story.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm having a hard time visualizing the part. Are you talking about the large o-ring type gasket?

Old 10-31-2010, 10:06 PM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

Yup. It was stuck on the original valley cover. Fits a lot better when you use it.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:49 PM
0PartsTaxi.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wallyj

Everything was going fine until I installed the valley cover. I THOUGHT it was machined incorrectly because it did not sit flush. I was dissapointed and went about the rest of the install. Figured I 'd talk to Edelbrock and get a new one shipped Monday.Today I did more work and was in no particular hurry as I knew I was not going to get done. A little while ago I picked up the valley plate as I was going to measure it and post some pictures so others with the kit could check theirs before installing. I took the original part off the motor where I left it and noticed right away it has a spacer / gasket that comes off and was to be re-used with the new plate. I had already transferred the o-rings from old to new. Don't know where my head was. That was a real bonehead move for sure. Now it is kind of late in the day, but I'll get a bit more done this evening and maybe have time to finish up tomorrow. My punishment for being so stupid was to set the blower in place by myself, which was not that much fun.

I wish I didn't waste all that time today, it would be done by now for sure.

Edelbrock does not get all the way off the hook though. Two bolts for mounting the blower are missing as is one of the pre formed hoses. for the intercooler pump. The hose is just an elbow, so I can probably get one that will fit. I'll hit up the local hardware store with an extensive hardware section tomorrow and see if I can find the two bolts.

Now if I can avoid any more attacks of stupdity....
Let me know on the hardware and hose. I'll make a few calls and raise some h**l if you need me to.

On the LS9 cam issue, we've had dozens of guys install that cam and love it.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 PM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PartsTaxi.com
Let me know on the hardware and hose. I'll make a few calls and raise some h**l if you need me to.

On the LS9 cam issue, we've had dozens of guys install that cam and love it.

Thanks
Kevin
Thanks Kevin. I sourced the missing parts already but I might contact you to see if Edelbrock will send them anyway.

I'll finish the install tomorrow morning and start a new thread after I have done some driving, logging , and tuning.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed my E-Force today - NOT!

Quick Reply: Installed my E-Force today - NOT!