C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meth with the new E force & TVS

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Meth with the new E force & TVS

I know the system is brand new and hasn't been played with yet, but my question is will meth work on these systems with out any problem?

For instance the E force it would run over the coated blades, through the water to air intercoolers and down through the runners. Will meth potiential damage any of the internal parts, I know it can be corosive and when comparing to a centrif. setup you are only pumping meth into the composite core of the manifold. Just a thought.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 03-13-2010, 03:00 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I found this and it shows were the water/meth injection can take off the teflon coating

http://v6supercharged.com.au/workshop.asp?ProjectID=8
Old 03-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked both Callaway and Magnacharger about using meth injection with the TVS2300. Both said: If any damage of the coating surfaces is shown to be a result of the meth injection the warranty would be void.

I was simply trying to control high IATs and not planning on any tune change to take advantage of the meth (really water is all I planned). The response I got was even 100% water can cause damage. Looks like the photos show this is correct.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:55 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Exactly, what I have found is that the water is much heavier than the meth and can damage more than meth due to its density and flash point. Although meth is obviously much more corosive. Many on the forum have said they have run meth for many years with their maggies with no problems, but others have said it can cause issues and void your warranty.

Could meth also damage the internal water to air intercoolers?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:06 PM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan Wendling
I asked both Callaway and Magnacharger about using meth injection with the TVS2300. Both said: If any damage of the coating surfaces is shown to be a result of the meth injection the warranty would be void.
Thats enough of a reason for me to not buy a roots type blower for a vette.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:15 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BartonekDragRacing
Thats enough of a reason for me to not buy a roots type blower for a vette.
Well, any other type of blower will have zero engine warranty, and if you damage a turbo or a centri by doing something that is not endorsed by the manufacturer, would you expect them to give you a new one?

I am sure you can think of a million reasons not to buy a roots, but their warranty policy is actually quite reasonable.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:39 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

I've heard Magnuson isn't cool with meth injection. I've been using WW fluid for about 60,000 miles on two maggie blowers on my half ton GMC truck. About 25K on an MP112 and 35K on an MP122. When I changed the 112 out for the 122 in my shop, I got a good look at the impellars. They looked fine except for the fact that they were blue. The MP122 is still running fine and I haven't seen any differnce in boost levels or performance since new.

When I had the TVS 2300 installed on my vette, I questioned the shop that did the work pretty hard about adding a meth system. They said it wasn't necessary. Said it was just one more thing to try to keep track of. They've done quite a few maggie installs and have had "0" engine failures. So far they've been right on. I have around 6000 miles on the LS3 motor at 670+rwhp and so far so good. Boost is a little less than 8.5psi.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:15 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thats the way I am leaning too the only reason I am interested in meth is because I do plan to go to some amature road course events and may go 20 minutes at a time going pretty hard and thought it maybe a good idea. Reading on how efficient these new TVS/E force blowers are I don't think it will be neccesary.

Do you have any idea what the intake temp are with a air to water intercooler vs. a standard air to air on a centrif. if the boost levels are the same? I know it would be hard to figure because you would have to measure the air after the internal IC's. It would be an interesting test.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:37 PM
bigike
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a whipple and spray into it. It just makes everything super clean and blue or pink. But i dont have an after cooler so i have to have meth or #3 goes bye bye and windows a very expensive block.

I don't think IAT's are what you are really wanting to drop. It's does cool the intake but where it really gets down to business in the combustion chamber. the meth breaks out and goes to fuel the boost and the water evaporates and cools the cylinder. It's just like N20 but opposite. The 2 N's go to cool the cylinder charge and the O feeds the fuel....

Why do they run roots, aren't twins screws way more efficient?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:42 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

In my case it is a Callaway TVS2300 install in a 2010 Grand Sport. I plan a few track days and am concerned about the IATs rising so that the Callaway provided tune pulls timing to protect the engine. No interest in changing the Callaway provided tune simply slowing down the power pull at temperature.

I plan to instrument the car so I will figure out what is happening. But like you I would like to get some feedback from people with experience with TVS2300 use at track days.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Methanol is not going to hurt the rotors. Magnacharger is just covering their asses with regards to warranty issues. Besides, I've never seen Magnacharger deny a warranty claim yet and that's why they are pleasure to deal with. Their customer support is second to none.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Given that the Edelbrock air-to-water intercoolers are downstream of the impellers why not focus on ways to lower the water temps in the coolers rather than spraying some fluid upstream of the boost process?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Good point, what are you thinking, a bigger heat exchanger or perhaps a fan on the heat exhanger?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by vertC6
Good point, what are you thinking, a bigger heat exchanger or perhaps a fan on the heat exhanger?
If you want to play with cooling the intake charge on the Edelbrock I'd try swapping out the tiny intercooler reservoir with something much larger. Maybe even experiment with filling it full of ice/ice water. It wouldn't be the first time that ice has been used for drag racing.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

I think the bigger reservoir/bigger heat exchanger works to a point. It will delay things getting hotter, but won't prevent it. If you want something that will allow WOT for minutes instead of seconds, I'm afraid you're going to have to get pretty serious with some high dollar mods to get that done.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 AM
denniner
2nd Gear

I have never heard of meth hurting the rotors in a blower.

Good info though, thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Meth with the new E force & TVS

Old 03-16-2010, 11:01 AM
excessive81
Safety Car

i run a cent blower on my vette but in my bonn i have a maggie style. we have been puttint the nozzles in the intake below the blower on that application which works great as they have zero intercoolers...i try to find some pics...
Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 PM
denniner
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by excessive81
i run a cent blower on my vette but in my bonn i have a maggie style. we have been puttint the nozzles in the intake below the blower on that application which works great as they have zero intercoolers...i try to find some pics...
Sounds like a good idea to put the nozzles below the blower.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:29 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

here is pic of the under the blower setup on my bonn

Quick Reply: Meth with the new E force & TVS