C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank case pressure building from boost???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:31 AM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crank case pressure building from boost???

I have noticed that I'm getting a little leakage of oil around my katech valve cover only on the passenger side and around the oil pan gasket area. What do you high boosted (supercharged) cars do in an event this is happening? Doug from ECS just said to add a vent on the sump tank but what else can be done so that this oil stops this leaking issue...I was told by my installer to tap the passenger side valve cover but I hate to do it!!!

Any info would be great guys

thanks

Last edited by BADZ; 01-31-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 AM
excessive81
Safety Car

how do you have your pvc system set up?
Old 01-31-2010, 12:58 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BADZ
I have noticed that I'm getting a little leakage oil oil around my katech valve cover only on the passenger side and around the oil pan gasket area. What do you high boosted (supercharged) cars do in an event this is happening? Doug from ECS just said to add a vent on the sump tank but what else can be done so that this oil stops this leaking issue...I was told by my installer to tap the passenger side valve cover but I hate to do it!!!

Any info would be great guys

thanks
Are they the carbon valve covers? If yes, I had the same problem on the same side. Turned out to be the oil was making it's way around the top of the aluminum channel that the gasket sits in. I sent mine back to Katech. Jason said they pressure tested it and it didn't leak, but they added some epoxy to the inside and that solved the problem.

Last edited by fperra; 01-31-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:00 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

Mine are the cast alum. powder coated black. We tried some black epoxy but it looks like its still the same. I will take it off and try again...
Old 01-31-2010, 02:10 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If they are aluminum, forget my post and good luck.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Icevettez06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did have oil leek trouble un till I did put cat can with air filter on it. After that no more leak.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:51 PM
aTX427
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I have two puke tanks - one for each side.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

Ok, I will try the puke cans with vents!!!

Do you guy's have pics you can show me?

Thanks!!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Icevettez06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/album.php?albumid=5307
Old 01-31-2010, 08:00 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

PM sent

Old 02-01-2010, 12:19 AM
excessive81
Safety Car

how is your system setup. you may have it routed wrong
Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 AM
aTX427
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I sent you a PM on how Taylor has mine set up.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 AM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

My sump tank has 2 connections:

Connection 1: runs over and splits and runs to both katech valve cover connections.

Connection 2: runs up to the intake charge pipe filter area. can't really see where it goes but it looks like to create a vaccum of such.

The valley cover connection and the intake connection are connected together using a black tube.

This is the way it's done now and it's leaking on the passenger side valve cover gasket area and the oil pan gasket area.

Thanks John for the PM brotha!!!

Last edited by BADZ; 02-01-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:54 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

That's why we include a breather and catch can with the C5 and std C6 kits Jeff, it just takes a little more effort to plumb with the dry sump.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

How do guy's install this setup and route the tubing in a dry sump ls7?

That's why we include a breather and catch can with the C5 and std C6 kits Jeff, it just takes a little more effort to plumb with the dry sump.

My sump tank has 2 connections:

Connection 1: runs over and splits and runs to both katech valve cover connections.

Connection 2: runs up to the intake charge pipe filter area. can't really see where it goes but it looks like to create a vaccum of such.

The valley cover connection and the intake connection are connected together using a black tube.

This is the way it's done now and it's leaking on the passenger side valve cover gasket area and the oil pan gasket area.

Thanks John for the PM brotha!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:35 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boosted cars need big breathers!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:35 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

Well I guess I will be taking the car to Dallas Performance and let Taylor have a go at it. (SD TUNE) needed!!!

Also I'm have trouble with a leaky passenger side Katech cover and oil coming from around the oil filter area and oil pan gasket. I was told it was due to pressure from the car making boost (crank case pressure) but if I normally drive it (not hard) it still leaks. I guess you would think that a catch can with breather would have been added if this could have been a potential problem but it was not installed. I will do it to see it does the trick...
The check valve is in the right direction on the loop from the valley cover nipple to the intake also as I blew thru it and it works. I guess it's just too much pressure in the intake...

Also,my fans come on sometimes and other times they don't. I have replaced that damn module 3 different times and each time I unplug one and put the other one in it works but when I turn the car off and on again the fans will not turn on again when it reaches the pcm temp setting 196-198 degrees. When we unplug it again and plug it back it finally starts working again. This is a real pain in the ***. Any ideas???????????

I check the plug to the module, I have 3 different modules and I dont think its that now so what else could it be?????

My wife is upset because there is always something wrong and she has not even had a chance to ride in it. I told her that the next move is to sell it if I can get these issues resolved...

Any help will be apprceciated!!!

Last edited by BADZ; 02-06-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Crank case pressure building from boost???

Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 PM
MachineWorks
Burning Brakes

Well I guess I will be taking the car to Dallas Performance and let Taylor have a go at it. (SD TUNE) needed!!!

Also I'm have trouble with a leaky passenger side Katech cover and oil coming from around the oil filter area and oil pan gasket. I was told it was due to pressure from the car making boost (crank case pressure) but if I normally drive it (not hard) it still leaks. I guess you would think that a catch can with breather would have been added if this could have been a potential problem but it was not installed. I will do it to see it does the trick...
The check valve is in the right direction on the loop from the valley cover nipple to the intake also as I blew thru it and it works. I guess it's just too much pressure in the intake...

Also,my fans come on sometimes and other times they don't. I have replaced that damn module 3 different times and each time I unplug one and put the other one in it works but when I turn the car off and on again the fans will not turn on again when it reaches the pcm temp setting 196-198 degrees. When we unplug it again and plug it back it finally starts working again. This is a real pain in the ***. Any ideas???????????

I check the plug to the module, I have 3 different modules and I dont think its that now so what else could it be?????

My wife is upset because there is always something wrong and she has not even had a chance to ride in it. I told her that the next move is to sell it if I can get these issues resolved...

Any help will be apprceciated!!!
Jeff, Chris has told you the answer to your problems numerous times and everyone in this post has repeated what he has told you.
You are pushing oil out of EVERY gasket, you have too much crank case pressure. Once you push out a valve cover gasket it is going to continue to leak.
1. he told you that you needed a bigger BOV..... you left it and surged the compressor.
2. he told you that the short belt wouldn't do anything but carry boost a little longer...... it didn't do anything but carry boost a little bit longer.... he even spent two days on the dyno at no charge to you to show you.
3. he tried to tell you the process to figure out what's wrong with the fans, then showed you in the GM service manual..... if it's not the module then let him proceed to the next step.
4. he told you that you are building up crank case pressure and that you need large vents off each valve cover..... what has everyone on here been saying? that you need to vent the motor. NO putting a filter on the oil tank isn't going to do ****..... just like putting another BOV in with the other one using the same hole.

LISTEN and your issues will be over with......
I also talked to him and he said if you are going to let someone else do a SD tune Taylor is the only person he would trust with it. But you should talk to Chris and listen to what he has to say
Old 02-06-2010, 09:43 PM
C6 Twin Turbo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who has a good recomendation on a catch can, and here to get it?
Thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 08:58 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Jeff, The Katech valve covers I have(Cast aluminum) already have a port that has a plug in it to install a fitting for PVC routing in other applications FYI etc... I don't know if your has it, but it was there. I would install a breather (PVC inlet basicly) that and larger vacum lines size wise to the intake of the blower and I would plug off your intake totally away from the crank case. I used to do it the way you have at least I think if I have my imaginnation going right LOL! This way worked better for me no oil leaks anywheres. I know your car is slightly different because of the dry sump, but the function of a PVC system is the same GL!

Quick Reply: Crank case pressure building from boost???