C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple 3.3L by Dragon Race Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:03 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TMRoc
Did they give any reason?
LOL Did ya' see the pictuers above?!?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:58 PM
backchannel
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
I just doubt that there would be a notable IAT drop seen by any intercooler that would fit in that manifold.
notice the high velocity ports
Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 PM
TrenAman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnacharger did not say anything about this system but they did say they have researched a lot into sc taht would fit under the hood and said if a good unit could be made to fit under a stock vette hood, they would be selling one. Again, they did not mention this system or reference\hint in anyway about it.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:12 PM
DeltaT
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You also might change out that Teflon tape on the fuel rails for Teflon paste. If a little piece of tape comes off and clogs an injector, you'll never see it coming.

Jim
Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff @ TPE
That is the beauty of forced induction.. There are multiple ways to skin a cat.

But I would rather have a "Bulge" in the hood, then leave a trail of oil on the freeway cuz you shoved a rod through the block due to detonation..

But hey, at least when its sittin on the side of the freeway, the Corvette pureists wont scough at your aftermarket hood..

Just playing with you.

Im just saying tha "If" there needs to be a choice between Form and Function, it should come down to function.
I think "practicality" needs to fit into the equation somewhere too... Otherwise...

Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TrenAman
Magnacharger did not say anything about this system but they did say they have researched a lot into sc taht would fit under the hood and said if a good unit could be made to fit under a stock vette hood, they would be selling one.
yea read that post too and I call BullS**t (Not you TrenAman, to Magna Charger).

They could make a good unit that fits under a stock hood (like E-Force, and GM) but that would require a lot of retooling. and they did not want to spend the major $$ to do so.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:59 AM
aTX427
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
I think one of the biggest selling points of this system, and one of the big reasons why people are interested in it, and in the new Edelbrock supercharger, is because a lot of Corvette owners (myself included) really don't like the look of a C6 with a big bulge in the middle of the hood... If the only way to get a Twin Screw or a TVS supercharger to work on these cars is by having an aftermarket hood, then a positive displacement blower is just not for me.

You should take a closer look at my EPP hood. It clears a TVS2300 and is so subtle, you would not know it's aftermarket unless you are an expert or have two cars side by side. The designer did a fantastic job blending surfaces to compliment the natural look of the c6.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:10 AM
aTX427
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Andy@AandACorvette
I have a 3.3 Whipple on my LS7 Trailblazer SS.
I have 2 HUGE heat exchangers up front and a swimming pool pump (almost) to circulate the coolant. On a 60 degree day, my IATs are in the 160 range, just cruising. I'm afraid it's just the nature of the beast.
It's a cool blower though. It looks pretty impressive when the Trailblazer lights all 4 tires!

Is there any reason why he couldn't run a centri intercooler, or is the heat soak just that bad?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:25 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aTX427
Is there any reason why he couldn't run a centri intercooler, or is the heat soak just that bad?
What do you mean by a "centri intercooler"? You mean an air/air intercooler (because centrifugal supercharged cars can run both air/air and air/water).
Think about where you'd put that air/air heat exchanger. Between the supercharger and the engine? THe blower would have to be at the roof line for it to fit
Old 01-30-2010, 10:29 AM
aTX427
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I misread Andy's post. I was thinking about having a big water to air in front of the radiator feeding the sandwich intercooler, but that is what he is doing already.

Last edited by aTX427; 01-30-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:38 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

This is a finished product? I thought it was a prototype. Not good for advertising with other great products out there. stock hood or no stock hood I would be pissed if the UPS man brought that to me...........
Old 01-30-2010, 05:20 PM
TrenAman
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmudreamvette
This is a finished product? I thought it was a prototype. Not good for advertising with other great products out there. stock hood or no stock hood I would be pissed if the UPS man brought that to me...........
I would be pissed it took 3+ months to get it to UPS, pissed UPS dropped it, pissed my system looked the way it did after 3 months, pissed he is not getting a new one sent back to him the day they receive the one they originally sent.. I would just be pissed if I was the OP, get my $$ back and purchase a different system..
Old 01-30-2010, 07:18 PM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mate, it looks like a child made this with a drill press and a hacksaw.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Res1cue
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmudreamvette
This is a quote from Peter the president of Dragon Race.
"There are over 70 machine hours and 22 assembly hours in each manifold/supercharger assembly and a lot of very specific parts that cannot be manufactured with conventional casting or other methods."

I am in this for function, bling is important and I agree they could have done some things that would "Pretty things up". This however would drive the cost of this unit up even further. If you notice in the published pictures the rear section of the manifold isn't even visible when installed. As a matter of fact its very hard to see any part of the manifold when installed. I think we should all reserve judgment of the Dragon system until the install and dyno numbers are posted. I am hoping for 175 - 200 increase in rwhp and torque.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Res1cue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ViperKiller04
before you send it back can you post pics of the rest of the kit
Old 01-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Slvr08Z51
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do those fishing bait water pumps hold up to 200F water temps and 150+ under hood temps? Not sure that they have been tested by the manufacturer at those temps considering minnows and shimp don't live in 200f water. This smells a little fishy to me.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Slvr08Z51
How do those fishing bait water pumps hold up to 200F water temps and 150+ under hood temps? Not sure that they have been tested by the manufacturer at those temps considering minnows and shimp don't live in 200f water. This smells a little fishy to me.
LOL I thought you were kidding..

NOPE!
http://www.rule-industries.com/files/itemdoc134801.pdf

damm a fish pump!!
i dont know wether to laugh or cry.

Get notified of new replies

To Whipple 3.3L by Dragon Race Engineering

Old 01-31-2010, 08:24 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
I just doubt that there would be a notable IAT drop seen by any intercooler that would fit in that manifold.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:31 PM
Res1cue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 71'AirStrike
LOL I thought you were kidding..

NOPE!
http://www.rule-industries.com/files/itemdoc134801.pdf

damm a fish pump!!
i dont know wether to laugh or cry.
I know it may seem a little unorthodox but believe it or not dragon isn't the only one using it for intercooler setups. Check the google search below.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=rule+...5311d5ec9ae78f

Apparently it is pretty popular option due to the fact it's low cost and can move up to 8.3 GPM thru the intercooler. There are some other high capacity pumps costing sever hundred that can't do that.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:27 PM
TrenAman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Res1cue
I know it may seem a little unorthodox but believe it or not dragon isn't the only one using it for intercooler setups. Check the google search below.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=rule+...5311d5ec9ae78f

Apparently it is pretty popular option due to the fact it's low cost and can move up to 8.3 GPM thru the intercooler. There are some other high capacity pumps costing sever hundred that can't do that.
So the race community cannot figure out anything more than that?

take my advice, get your $ back ASAP and buy a proven kit.. with all these vendors offering $5500 out the door installed\tuned prices.. You can get a a SC system, buildt tranny, and full exhaust for the same price..

they posted there best results on there website already.. Speaks for itself man.. and does not even go into temps and such.. Not hating bro, just hope you get your hard earned moneys worth is all..

Last edited by TrenAman; 01-31-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Whipple 3.3L by Dragon Race Engineering