C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Methanol Pump Location

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:29 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Methanol Pump Location

I had planned to mount my pump behind the WS washer tank on the frame, but without welding a bracket to the aluminum frame, I didn't see any way it would fit. I remember a post from a while back where it was mounted to the radiator support frame. After a little brainstorming this is what I came up with:

Old 09-07-2009, 08:29 PM
thegreenman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post, I am getting ready to install mine soon, I will consider the same location.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 PM
v502
Racer

Planning for methanol soon but whats going to happen if it gets some rain that is Q i want to know before i put the pump there just worrying if it gives up.

Thanks for post
Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd avoid that location; that piece snapped off when I hit a pothole this Wed.
The usual mounting location is on the end of the driver's side fender, near the door, upright... I'd stick to that.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Randy@RaginRacin
Supporting Vendor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

We install them next to Winshield washer reservoir in the fender.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Same issues here before... I WOULD NOT suggest that you leave the pump there...
Old 09-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The usual mounting location is on the end of the driver's side fender, near the door, upright... I'd stick to that.
That exactly where they put mine up!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:23 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I really should have posted my solution to this issue for an option. I had planned on a meth install thread but here are the quickie pics and what I did to make it fit without running really long (expensive lines) and without resorting to the welding.

The windsheild washer tank is plastic. I re-drilled new holes on it about 3/4" lower and replaced the same bolts (had to shave down one washer on the left side to fit) moving the tank up slightly. It takes 10 minutes and is really intuitive once you are in there.

Here are some pics of the pump which then fit without hanging down at the bottom of the fender 1/2 inch teasing you with a peak-a-boo from the bottom of the car.

The two braided lines are for my parallel fuel system and its + wire. They run up the same location the meth lines run up. None rub or interfere with fitment. It looks like a tighter fit than it is.

Anyway the pump is mounted with two metal-self-tapping screws. You can put in all 4 but its strong enough with two and the second two would only put pressure against the WW tank. The grounding lugs are in two locations for redundant grounds since system failure will 99.9% of the time be due to electrical (installer) error.

Additionally, the plastic black insert in the fender that you see from outside the car in the fender 'air vent', then touches the pump keeping the fender from going back in place properly. I heated this corner with a heat gun making the black plastic soft and then pushed it to the pump essentially making the black plastic mold-fitted to the shape of the pump. I pushed in further than needed for proper fender fit so when I released the pressure, it isnt touching the pump.

ECS/alky control has a great system here.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 09-08-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mounted mine at the rear of the car under the "cubby"hole. I mounted the tank inside the cubby hole. Seems to be a great location. Its protected from the elements the tank always feeds directly below to the pump so it never runs dry, I've tested the line delay and basically there isnt one. Some were telling me they wouldnt do it because theres too much of a delay. I didnt see a delay at all and as a pre caution I just have it come on .5 psi soooner that I normally would.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:16 PM
fperra
Safety Car

SpimMonster, thanks for your post with pictures. Unfortunately, the pump that I have (Snowperformance) is apparently larger in diameter than the one you are using and there is no way that I can see it fitting in that lacation. As stated in my original post, I tried there, but I just couldn't figure out a way to make it work without some major modications. I did give some thought to buying a different pump, but decided to stick with what I have.

I think I'll stick with the location I have it currrently mounted. For those who said not to mount it there, I ask why not. I have no intention of hitting a man eating pot hole in Manhattan, and if I did, my worry would be with replacing the radiator; the Meth pump would be of minor concern. And since I plan to run a 50/50 mix, fire is not a concern.

Last edited by fperra; 09-08-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:49 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fperra
I think I'll stick with the location I have it currrently mounted. For those who said not to mount it there, I ask why not. I have no intention of hitting a man eating pot hole in Manhattan, and if I did, my worry would be with replacing the radiator; the Meth pump would be of minor concern. And since I plan to run a 50/50 mix, fire is not a concern.
That's my reason right there, but since you read my post, you knew it already
BTW that is the second time I break that piece. The first time was hitting a "dip" on the road on US-18 right here in New Jersey. Appearently NJ Road comission's idea of a "Dip" is a road that falls off 4 inches and then comes back up 4 inches on a sharp ledge. I still can't believe the wheels didn't bend from that. That first time it only broke the rad. support.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:24 PM
fperra
Safety Car

That's my reason right there, but since you read my post, you knew it already
BTW that is the second time I break that piece. The first time was hitting a "dip" on the road on US-18 right here in New Jersey. Appearently NJ Road comission's idea of a "Dip" is a road that falls off 4 inches and then comes back up 4 inches on a sharp ledge. I still can't believe the wheels didn't bend from that. That first time it only broke the rad. support.
I lived in NJ for 12 years and my wife had an apartment in Manhattan, so I have an appreciation for how bad the roads are up there. During that time when I was dating my future wife, I bought an old Oldsmobile stationwagon for $500 and used that car for my trips into the city. It worked out well.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:20 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

SpimMonster, thanks for your post with pictures. Unfortunately, the pump that I have (Snowperformance) is apparently larger in diameter than the one you are using and there is no way that I can see it fitting in that lacation.
Its the same pump with a different sticker on it. I just did a snow performance pump install this week; same diameter, same pump. It went in the exact same location.

As I stated the WW tank moves up to make the room for it to fit. It is not a major job to move it up unless 10 minutes qualifies as major.

Here is a better view of the Alky control pump. You may recognize it off the car as the same as your pump:

Snow performance and Alky Control both claim to modify the pump but its case is identicle.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 09-10-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Default Silly question (perhaps)

I think I understand correctly that normal WW fluid can be used in place of methonal. True? What are the down sides?

Also any chance that the WW system can retain its support for cleaning the windscreen and also serve as a injection system with a second pump?
Never mind. I found the answer with a bit more searching (and bit better spellin') methanol

Last edited by Dan Wendling; 09-10-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Found the answer with a bit more searching
Old 09-10-2009, 10:50 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Its the same pump with a different sticker on it. I just did a snow performance pump install this week; same diameter, same pump. It went in the exact same location.

As I stated the WW tank moves up to make the room for it to fit. It is not a major job to move it up unless 10 minutes qualifies as major.

Here is a better view of the Alky control pump. You may recognize it off the car as the same as your pump:

Snow performance and Alky Control both claim to modify the pump but its case is identicle.
Did you remove the rubber vibration isolation pads?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:58 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Well, I'm sticking with the mount I currently have since I've made up all the AN hoses and wiring. But for anyone contemplating this in the future, I've found another location that would work great for mounting the pump.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:42 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Did you remove the rubber vibration isolation pads?
no.

Well, I'm sticking with the mount I currently have since I've made up all the AN hoses and wiring. But for anyone contemplating this in the future, I've found another location that would work great for mounting the pump.
Any and all input should be considered but I fail to see why you would want to make longer hoses than needed than simply put it where I have it; where it fits with 10 minutes work. I think its easier than running around getting hoses made and spending more money. Anyone who does what I did would see its the best solution without welding mounts or getting 4 foot lines made up. You drill 3 holes in the plastic WW tank under the existing ones and put the screws back.....done. Then it fits and the lines are the right size.

In any event the spot used should be lower than the lowest level of the Meth reservoir or you will get air in the feed line and/or siphoning from the supply side line of the pump to the nozzle.

Get notified of new replies

To Methanol Pump Location

Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
no.

Any and all input should be considered but I fail to see why you would want to make longer hoses than needed than simply put it where I have it; where it fits with 10 minutes work. I think its easier than running around getting hoses made and spending more money. Anyone who does what I did would see its the best solution without welding mounts or getting 4 foot lines made up. You drill 3 holes in the plastic WW tank under the existing ones and put the screws back.....done. Then it fits and the lines are the right size.

In any event the spot used should be lower than the lowest level of the Meth reservoir or you will get air in the feed line and/or siphoning from the supply side line of the pump to the nozzle.
Well, I make my own hoses, and since they are already made, I'll stick with the current location. My current pump location is lower than the tank, so that is not an issue. However, the pump can be mounted higher than the tank, but a solenoid cut off valve will be needed to prevent siphoning.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback. It will be helpfull to others who decide to take on a water/meth project in the future.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You may know this already, but methanol and AN fittings dont work well together. That is why the kits come with brass or stainless fittings.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:07 AM
shor0814
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast06Z06
I mounted mine at the rear of the car under the "cubby"hole. I mounted the tank inside the cubby hole. Seems to be a great location. Its protected from the elements the tank always feeds directly below to the pump so it never runs dry, I've tested the line delay and basically there isnt one. Some were telling me they wouldnt do it because theres too much of a delay. I didnt see a delay at all and as a pre caution I just have it come on .5 psi soooner that I normally would.
This is where mine is mounted, the only visible parts on the whole setup are the nozzle and the controller. I could probably move the controller back to the firewall, but it is a very clean setup.

Quick Reply: Methanol Pump Location