C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried to start up my new 427 motor today

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:26 PM
extremecorvette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tried to start up my new 427 motor today

Tried to start up my new WarHawk 427 motor today and nothing happen. I checked all the fuses, disconnected and reconnected the battery over and over again. Went back and checked all my wiring and still can’t find out why it will not start.

I pulled the factory motor out with around 4,500 miles on it and built a WarHawk 427 motor and installed the APS Z06 kit at the same time as I put the motor in. I can hear the fuel pump prime but the motor will not crank over.

The starter is brand new, and with the APS kit on it will be hell getting it out to take in to test.

Any ideas guys?

I will have to say this build has been nothing but problems from the start. But it has also been a great learning and fun experance.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:24 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

only thing i can think of at the moment is to check the clutch wire
Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Slvr08Z51
Pro

Is it turning or not doing anything?
Old 08-23-2009, 07:28 PM
0Taylor@DallasPerformance
Former Vendor

Bring it by, I'll get it going for you

Just kidding! Could be a lot of things but I would check with clutch pedal switch first, then verify starter relay is connected correctly, keep going down the list...
Old 08-23-2009, 08:07 PM
DaWorm111
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by extremecorvette
Tried to start up my new WarHawk 427 motor today and nothing happen. I checked all the fuses, disconnected and reconnected the battery over and over again. Went back and checked all my wiring and still can’t find out why it will not start.

I pulled the factory motor out with around 4,500 miles on it and built a WarHawk 427 motor and installed the APS Z06 kit at the same time as I put the motor in. I can hear the fuel pump prime but the motor will not crank over.

The starter is brand new, and with the APS kit on it will be hell getting it out to take in to test.

Any ideas guys?

I will have to say this build has been nothing but problems from the start. But it has also been a great learning and fun experance.
I give you major props for trying to build a setup like that yourself. Most people leave that up to us to handle. We have built SEVERAL APS Z06's. Give me a call at the shop if you have any questions.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:18 PM
exploder
Burning Brakes

Did you hook up the crank angle sensor above the starter? Did you put all the grounds back on the motor?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:55 PM
extremecorvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by exploder
Did you hook up the crank angle sensor above the starter? Did you put all the grounds back on the motor?

Yep I did but I will take everyone’s advice and check the clutch sensor first and then start checking the rest of the sensors.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Make sure you reconnected both + battery wires to the fuse box post under the hood.Don't ask how I know.LOL
Old 08-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep I did but I will take everyone’s advice and check the clutch sensor first and then start checking the rest of the sensors.
Existing or new ECU?......any error codes stored? Possibly "Clutch Pedal Position Learn" needs to be accomplished? That code will keep the motor from turning over.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:16 PM
extremecorvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
Existing or new ECU?......any error codes stored? Possibly "Clutch Pedal Position Learn" needs to be accomplished? That code will keep the motor from turning over.

Existing ECU and that was one idea I also had. I have a friend coming over with a Tec II so we can find out what codes it has and clear them all out.

Thank you for the ideas
Old 08-25-2009, 07:42 PM
extremecorvette
Drifting

Well I got it running today for about 60 sec before the ECU cuts out the injectors. I jumped power right to the starter and it worked just fine. I think what’s going on is my body control module is bad so the car thinks I'm stealing the car so that is why my injectors cut out. So this means I have to tow in the car to buddy’s that has a TEC II scanner and he can set the body control modular up.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:09 PM
exploder
Burning Brakes

you can relink the bcm yourself...do a search. you have to like turn on the for 6 minutes then off for 30sec. etc.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

yup just what i was gonna suggest, anti-theft is kicking in, but there was a way to pull of two fuses and put them back it that would reset anti-theft but i cant remember them >.< a tech 2 would be handy.

also with the 60second shut-off you might want to check with the crankshaft position sensor, which might need a relearn as well
Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 PM
MrDrezzUp
Pro

Good tip! The crank angle sensor is what got me on my motor swap!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:27 AM
extremecorvette
Drifting

you can relink the bcm yourself...do a search. you have to like turn on the for 6 minutes then off for 30sec. etc.
I'm not able to find any info on how to rest the BCM does anyone have it? If not I will have to trailer the car to my friends shop.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:44 PM
extremecorvette
Drifting

Well today we got our hands on a Tec 2 and found out what the problem was. It was the BMC needed to be reprogrammed; the theft system rest, and then we could see that the clutch sensor was not sending any signal to the ECU. I have a new sensor coming on Monday. I was about ready today to take the one out of my other car to just get this one running.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:26 PM
0Taylor@DallasPerformance
Former Vendor

Well today we got our hands on a Tec 2 and found out what the problem was. It was the BMC needed to be reprogrammed; the theft system rest, and then we could see that the clutch sensor was not sending any signal to the ECU. I have a new sensor coming on Monday. I was about ready today to take the one out of my other car to just get this one running.
So the clutch switch was bad also?

Get notified of new replies

To Tried to start up my new 427 motor today

Old 08-31-2009, 08:30 AM
extremecorvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Taylor@DallasPerformance
So the clutch switch was bad also?
Yep, after we got everything else working again we could see with the Tec 2 what was going on during the start up sequence and why it wasn’t starting, the sensor is bad.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Gotta love those Tech2's, they great for solving these kinds of problems and save a lot of frustration.

Post up some pictures of the build.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:24 PM
extremecorvette
Drifting

I will once the car is dyno tuned

Quick Reply: Tried to start up my new 427 motor today