C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin turbos or procharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:57 AM
C6 ROLLER
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaselva
Most people here talk the talk about TT's.

C5 Z TTiX guy I know locally's gone through 3 motors in as many years, last one was a fully forged LS7. You'll never hear people like him come on this forum and admit it though.
I just had to get my forged LS7 rebuilt after JUST 5,000 miles as a rod bearing let go and I lost oil pressure. I noticed that I only had 12-20 pounds of oil pressure and not the 40+ that I usually have at start up. I sent the motor back to Texas Speed to have them rebuild it and they are finishing up my motor as I type. It SUCKS BIG TIME as my car has been down for 1 reason after another. 3 stall speed convertors, heat issues, Procharger issues, belt issues, This started last April 18th(my B-day) and I haven't had the car for longer than a few weeks at a time. Thank god I bought a 07 convertible to drive while the car is getting done. Geoff at Next Level Performance has done a GREAT JOB getting all these issues resolved. I now have an 8 rib with Andy's set-up, dual trans coolers, a new stall, a new F1A Procharger and now a fresh motor when I get it back. I can't wait!!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 ROLLER
I just had to get my forged LS7 rebuilt after JUST 5,000 miles as a rod bearing let go and I lost oil pressure. I noticed that I only had 12-20 pounds of oil pressure and not the 40+ that I usually have at start up. I sent the motor back to Texas Speed to have them rebuild it and they are finishing up my motor as I type. It SUCKS BIG TIME as my car has been down for 1 reason after another. 3 stall speed convertors, heat issues, Procharger issues, belt issues, This started last April 18th(my B-day) and I haven't had the car for longer than a few weeks at a time. Thank god I bought a 07 convertible to drive while the car is getting done. Geoff at Next Level Performance has done a GREAT JOB getting all these issues resolved. I now have an 8 rib with Andy's set-up, dual trans coolers, a new stall, a new F1A Procharger and now a fresh motor when I get it back. I can't wait!!!!
I feel your pain Charlie, you've definitely had your share of trouble. ECS did my last round of mods and I'll stick with them from now on. It's easy for me to say because I'm closer to NJ than you (550 miles away for me) But you may give them a shot next time...their work is pretty impressive. While my car was there I had them install a Spec twin disc clutch setup. Intially I hated it but true to ECS's word the clutch is breaking in nicely. Hope tou get back on the road soon!

Bruce
Old 03-28-2009, 12:18 PM
C6 ROLLER
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saplumr
I feel your pain Charlie, you've definitely had your share of trouble. ECS did my last round of mods and I'll stick with them from now on. It's easy for me to say because I'm closer to NJ than you (550 miles away for me) But you may give them a shot next time...their work is pretty impressive. While my car was there I had them install a Spec twin disc clutch setup. Intially I hated it but true to ECS's word the clutch is breaking in nicely. Hope tou get back on the road soon!

Bruce
Thanks Bruce but GEOFF @ NLP (Next Level Performance) has FIXED all the problems my car has occured. I won't leave him as he is the best down here and is a perfectionist and that is why it took a little longer than usual. I just had some bad luck with parts.

I still LOVE my Procharger set-up and happy with my choice. I'll be hitting the streets and then the track in about 2 weeks. I'll post a thread then about my car and it's set-up.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:34 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like to add...

I can't think of a single build that was "Ready to go and never had a SINGLE ISSUE" when it was "done."

When you make 900+ RWHP there are going to be fixes, tweaks, and upgrades throughout the life of your vehicle. But back to the main argument - TT having more issues/phantom issues over a Super Charged setup is just not true.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:46 PM
24hr Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII
I would like to add...

I can't think of a single build that was "Ready to go and never had a SINGLE ISSUE" when it was "done."

When you make 900+ RWHP there are going to be fixes, tweaks, and upgrades throughout the life of your vehicle. But back to the main argument - TT having more issues/phantom issues over a Super Charged setup is just not true.
Lets say for 700rwhp - best route? TT or SC?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:54 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Either will easily hit the numbers and you can maker 700 RWHP relatively cheap with a SC setup...
Old 03-28-2009, 11:23 PM
aTX427

Just when you think you read all the SC vs. TT threads you can handle - they still get people fired up. Some one really needs to author a fact based, vendor neutral thread on the pros and cons at various power levels and the supporting mods required on each platform.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:36 AM
Z06Liter
Instructor

Procharger for the win but TT if you can afford the headache IMO!!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:10 AM
little stealth
Cruising

Well the Twins are my choice now which set up i have to choose between APS or STS

little stealth
Old 03-30-2009, 10:41 AM
0INTMD8
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by little stealth
Well the Twins are my choice now which set up i have to choose between APS or STS

little stealth
In my opinion APS is far more fun to drive on the street.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:51 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

In my opinion APS is far more fun to drive on the street.

And I've driven both PLENTY.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

between those two choices, APS for the "Z" hands down...
Old 04-01-2009, 11:38 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.Big
between those two choices, APS for the "Z" hands down...

I can say from my experience, TT setups are quieter, more efficient, and a lot easier to raise the power levels with. However, they are harder to tune compared to a linear supercharger.

I think the TT “issues” being referenced was due to the sudden onslaught of torque (boost) from the turbo’s at low rpm’s. It shocks everything in the car from the crank to the rear-end resulting in issues (but pure fun in the process). More advanced tuning equipment and boost by gear takes that away. Much like today’s superchargers are more efficient than ever, today’s turbo systems are more streetable than ever. There by closing the gap in the old differences between them.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Jbrady
Instructor

Centrifugal superchargers are proven performers.

That said what is their long term reliability?

Obviously the belt drive MUST be maintained and the higher the power the higher the belt load resulting in more frequent service intervals.

Using a fixed drive the supercharger must endure the rapid speed changes at gear changes. Seems like somewhere a sprag type drive was developed which would greatly decrease this load but introduce another potential failure point. Multiple bearings, gears and components involved in the drive mechanism introduce at least as many points of potential failure. What is the longest confirmed service free mileage known for a centrifugal installation?

Turbochargers must deal with heat and oil. Heat can crack manifolds and "cook" surrounding items. Oil containment and oil circulation are both areas of potential failure. Low mount turbos have many advantages with the exception definitely being the requirement to scavenge the oil. Once a turbocharged engine has had the problem areas correctly engineered it is the most reliable way to create high output.

IMO the APS system has excellent engineering with the only areas still questionable to me being the the scavenge and the air inlet capacity. The first being a reliability concern and the second a performance limitation. The second seems largely resolved on the C6 ZO6 system.
Let me ask the same question I asked of the centrifugal installed base: What is the longest confirmed service free mileage known for an APS installation?

The STS system definitely works and is a good effort but IMHO does not have the degree of engineering found in the APS.

Turbos also present the owner with real time boost manipulation. While some could argue that by overspeeding a centrifugal and bleeding off high RPM boost you could also have boost manipulation but that is hardly efficient and increases the probability of system failure. Turbosystems with computerized boost controllers with the right wastegate(s) can create highly efficient on demand boost that can integrate with traction control and other variables.

Centrifugal superchargers make impressive power but are just no match to the full spectrum of power and options available with a PROPERLY engineered turbocharged engine.

Quick Reply: Twin turbos or procharger