C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

self contained vs non/Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:01 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Default self contained vs non/Superchargers

I think the self contained oil is better for the following reasons.
1. they can use a better specific grade oil than engine oil.
2.No fine dirt or combustion by products in your supercharger. which can't be good.
3. much cleaner better install
4.easy service
winner all the way around

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-07-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 PM
o0 zeno 0o
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is "easy service" (arguable) better than no service?

Both the paxton and the vortech units have come non-self contained for years. The manufacturer obviously doesn't think it is a problem. For all we know, they only come that way so they have a competitor to ATI's self-contained setup from a marketing standpoint.

Then there's the problem of leaky head-units. You see complaints about ProCharger guys with leaky head units all over the place.

And finally, there's the fact that well respected tuners (such as ECS if I'm not mistaken) prefer the non-self contained blower.

I mean... perhaps a bunch of paranoid random people know more than the manufacturer and top tuners, but my money is definately on the latter.

Last edited by o0 zeno 0o; 09-07-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:49 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by o0 zeno 0o
How is "easy service" (arguable) better than no service?

Both the paxton and the vortech units have come non-self contained for years. The manufacturer obviously doesn't think it is a problem. For all we know, they only come that way so they have a competitor to ATI's self-contained setup from a marketing standpoint.

Then there's the problem of leaky head-units. You see complaints about ProCharger guys with leaky head units all over the place.

And finally, there's the fact that well respected tuners (such as ECS if I'm not mistaken) prefer the non-self contained blower.

I mean... perhaps a bunch of paranoid random people know more than the manufacturer and top tuners, but my money is definately on the latter.

Sounds like a procharger problem.Why would they be leak prone contained vs not. Get a leak or they fail for some reason there somewhere on the "extra" lines and the whole package, engine included could be in trouble. Time will tell with the Vortech units as they are new for 08
Old 09-08-2008, 08:12 AM
TinSoldier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the non self contained due to the fact:

1.I didn't want to be bind down ordering their oil which range from 40-100 depending on manufacturers everytime I want to change it which is 3k miles.
2. I have a non self contained Vortech on my Nissan Titan for 2 yrs now and racking up 15k miles on it. Never once have a problem with leaking or the bearings breaking down. (To me, 5 gallons of oil is better lubrication than couple of ounces. )
3. It only took me 5 extra minutes to tap the oil pan rather than the extra 10 minutes now to change the oil in the unit every 3k miles.
4. I was reading up on how people were having problem changing the oil on the Procharger unit due to the location of the drain plug.

Last edited by TinSoldier; 09-08-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To self contained vs non/Superchargers

Quick Reply: self contained vs non/Superchargers