Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

How is production on the C6 Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Gussy913
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
Default How is production on the C6 Convertible?

I heard there was a delay on the C6 Convertible, Does anyone have any information on that? I'm waiting for a Millineum Yellow with a black top. I have an order# but not aproved yet. Any information will be appreciated.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:45 AM
nikovette
Burning Brakes

They are still on constraint, although that COULD change today. GM recently stated that orders with power tops would not be produced until March/April.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:21 PM
paystyle
Pro

Default Still on constraint

Nope, no change today yet either. At least for this week, they constraint is at 0%, which means they'll still be producing the orders they accepted way back in November, but they won't be taking any new orders. I spoke to my dealer the other day, and the picture he painted was a grim one, and I have every reason to trust his opinion on this. Essentially he said that the orders already in the system since November may take GM well into March to produce, meaning no new orders until then is a realistic possibility. Although I hope for the best, I do expect the worst. I placed my order in October, and I'm still at 1100, and expect to remain there until March or even April, with earliest production being April or May.

Reality bites, but at least our reality is tsunami free.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:54 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by paystyle
Nope, no change today yet either. At least for this week, they constraint is at 0%, which means they'll still be producing the orders they accepted way back in November, but they won't be taking any new orders. I spoke to my dealer the other day, and the picture he painted was a grim one, and I have every reason to trust his opinion on this. Essentially he said that the orders already in the system since November may take GM well into March to produce, meaning no new orders until then is a realistic possibility. Although I hope for the best, I do expect the worst. I placed my order in October, and I'm still at 1100, and expect to remain there until March or even April, with earliest production being April or May.

Reality bites, but at least our reality is tsunami free.

Would you really consider buying an 05 car in May for a full price? Seems that when the 06 hits it just cost you $10-15K which is a bit stiff for one season. I would wait for an 06 at that point.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:17 PM
paystyle
Pro

Originally Posted by rbl
Would you really consider buying an 05 car in May for a full price? Seems that when the 06 hits it just cost you $10-15K which is a bit stiff for one season. I would wait for an 06 at that point.
Yes, you're right, and therein lies my dilemma. You see, I've been waiting since Oct. If I wait for an '06, the summer will be over, and while fall and winter aren't bad in SoCal, they're also nothing like summer in SoCal.

Another dilemma is that getting a vert in May is my way of forcing myself to not get on a list for a Z06. But if I wait for an '06 vert, I know what I'll really want to do is get a new Z06, which means it'll be de ja vu all over again with the waiting period (since waiting lists on even for large dealers are long, and the Z06 is a lower production vehicle, therefore longer waits), meaining I'll likely wait until first quarter of '06 to actually get one, which means driving around in my PT cruiser for another year.

So while the most economically sensible path might seem like the one you have just described, for me that path is more like an avalanche rolling down a slippery slope.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:02 AM
misteroman
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I know 2 ppl that have ordered a c6 in the last month(my dad being one) and were told as long as it isn't a power top car you will have it by April 1st.
This is the reason I waited on buying my Vert until 06 as well.It was pretty much assured they would be behind schedule and waiting for 06 would only be a few more months
D
Old 01-15-2005, 08:56 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by paystyle
Yes, you're right, and therein lies my dilemma. You see, I've been waiting since Oct. If I wait for an '06, the summer will be over, and while fall and winter aren't bad in SoCal, they're also nothing like summer in SoCal.

Another dilemma is that getting a vert in May is my way of forcing myself to not get on a list for a Z06. But if I wait for an '06 vert, I know what I'll really want to do is get a new Z06, which means it'll be de ja vu all over again with the waiting period (since waiting lists on even for large dealers are long, and the Z06 is a lower production vehicle, therefore longer waits), meaining I'll likely wait until first quarter of '06 to actually get one, which means driving around in my PT cruiser for another year.

So while the most economically sensible path might seem like the one you have just described, for me that path is more like an avalanche rolling down a slippery slope.
Solution is to just buy my C6 coupe and remove the roof while you wait for your new 06 vert. I just ordered another C6 and will be selling mine at MSRP -5-6K so 1/2 or more of the hit is gone right at the beginning.

Or, to really maxamize things buy an 04 C5 for a fill in and then sell it off when your vert arrives!

Etc.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:21 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It does appear that GM is starting to get things going with vert production (at least for the manual top). After being delayed countless times since October, my vert's TPW was moved ahead from 2/22 to 1/22 and I received the full VIN from the plant. If you take a tour of the general C6 forum you will see all of a sudden a ton of people are having their verts built.

I am certainly not saying that it's rolling out like the coupe, but contrasted to a few weeks ago and one could easily call this an avalanche of verts.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Gussy913
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

I was also told May or June, I have my Vert ordered with the power top, so it looks like i'll be waiting till June... But I'm sure it will be well worth the wait. Hopefully they start to move and knock these cars out.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They built mine.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Gussy913
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

when did you order your car? I ordered mine in November. I'm sick to my stomach with the thought of waiting till june for my car, but i guess if it comes early it's a bonus...
Old 01-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered in April. Order was accepted by GM in October. It came off the line 12/16. I took delivery on 12/22.

If I hasn't going to get one until June I would defiantly wait and reorder 06. They will start building the 06 in July.

Last edited by Corvette Junkie; 01-16-2005 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:30 AM
f152tall
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 150 Posts

I have a c6 vert on order with pwr top. I was told July 11 for production. Is that because of the top?

Why don't they just make it an '06?

I don't have the opportunity to demand an '06 or I'll lose my allocation. (got a good deal through the overseas military sales corp)
Old 01-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Gussy913
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

When did you order your vert? I ordered mine in early november...
Old 01-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Karl Johanson
Drifting

Originally Posted by f152tall
I have a c6 vert on order with pwr top. I was told July 11 for production. Is that because of the top?

Why don't they just make it an '06?

I don't have the opportunity to demand an '06 or I'll lose my allocation. (got a good deal through the overseas military sales corp)
You need to check that again as far as the date because the Plant is shut down every year the first two weeks of July. I think you may have misunderstood when you would have your Convertible built.

I realize that it has been very frustrating for everyone that has an order to have to wait but keep in mind that GM is not going to send them out untill they are comfortable concerning the Quality. I have one Sold order being built next week and the other is backed up to 3-7 but I believe that the plant is very close to ramping up on the convertible construction and for all those that decide that you are just going to wait,remember that the pricesnever go down per model year but continue to rise. I can pretty well bet that the 06 convertible will be more expensive than the 05. It happens every year.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:47 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
Any car you buy is going to take a big hit the day you drive it off the floor. But a Corvette doesn't lose anywhere near 10 - 15K when a model year changes. More like 5K, and even that doesn't just happen the day the new model year hits. That just doesn't add up. If you don't believe me, run resale values on KBB or whatever service you like.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:11 PM
f152tall
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl Johanson
You need to check that again as far as the date because the Plant is shut down every year the first two weeks of July. I think you may have misunderstood when you would have your Convertible built.

I realize that it has been very frustrating for everyone that has an order to have to wait but keep in mind that GM is not going to send them out untill they are comfortable concerning the Quality. I have one Sold order being built next week and the other is backed up to 3-7 but I believe that the plant is very close to ramping up on the convertible construction and for all those that decide that you are just going to wait,remember that the pricesnever go down per model year but continue to rise. I can pretty well bet that the 06 convertible will be more expensive than the 05. It happens every year.
I just got confirmation that it will be a 2 Sept Delivery date for my '05 Convert. Seems like they should just make it an '06 but I'm not too concerned because it should have all of the first year bugs worked out and I am not planning on selling it for 10 years or more.

Get notified of new replies

To How is production on the C6 Convertible?

Old 01-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Gussy913
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

My guess is you ordered a power top.... I read in some threads that they moved up alot of verts by a month.I changed mine from a power top to a manuel,when the bugs are worked outi'll get my powertop vert in 2008.. Goodluck to all... And to the ones with Verts,Enjoy the stares and the awesome ride....I'll be waiting
Old 01-26-2005, 05:16 AM
tyan8926
Instructor

Default Order What They Are Building

We always order our Verts with black tops. We have found any other colors, in the past, had cleaning and maintenance issues. Additionally, black is fabric and easier to maintain (one trick is to use a lint roller on the material to keep the knap clean and fluffy).

We have used a wind deflector because we drive topless in mostly extreme weather in north Texas. Last night at 55 degrees with the deflector installed with the top down, windows up, the seats heated to medium, and the HVAC heat on max split between the floor and vents, it was delightful. Without a deflector, it is cold on you back, head, and shoulders. However, most of our summer driving is more impacted by high heat and blistering sunshine. Then the wind deflector excels at keeping the HVACs cool air in the cockpit. Moreover, if you use a wind deflector by Chevrolet, you must remove it and store it before lowering the top or install it after you raise the top. I haven't figured out how to do this without exiting the Vette. Frankly, the power top value is severely reduced if you use a deflector.

The Chevrolet deflector is extremely well made. It has smooth custom mold lines and a logo silk screen on the back. It is much more sculptured to the lines of the C6 Vert. I would love to have that perfect day with 82 degree temperatures, no winds, 60 percent relativity humidity and easy going cruising, not causing a rear wind. Then we don't need a wind deflector. But, I say this device increases are effective use of our C6 Verts by doubling and/or tripling the amount of time we can comfortably go topless.

Net, net of this whole diatribe. Get a black non-powered top. Get the wind deflector for about $400. Install it, use it, and you’ll be happier and won't be whining about waiting on a Vert.

Just love that top down cruising 12 months a year.

2005 Convertible
Artic White/Red/Black
Corsa Sport Exhaust with Twin 3.5" Pro Tips
V1 with Great Lakes Trophy's Mirror Mount
Chevrolet Accessories Air Deflector
Old 01-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Franklin
Heel & Toe

Default Z-51 Order

I just wanted to post that my dealer called yesterday to let me know my order would be accepted with all of my options except Z-51. I have a loaded Blue Vert w/Black power top. I noticed that the Z-51 was on constraint due to CAFÉ requirements. They told me that CAFÉ is Corporate Average Fuel Economy. I said that I would wait for the Z-51.

Z-51 accounts for a large portion of the vettes produced so I figured they should have the problem solved shortly.

I have had a deposit since March of 04, so what’s another month or two.

Quick Reply: How is production on the C6 Convertible?