Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

FS: What's the best way of "qualifying" prospective buyers??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 11:14 AM
Chicago Bob
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by msd127
If they bring a friend along to ride in the back seat on the test drive that would be red flags for me.
Stay safe
back seat?
Old 04-24-2021, 11:36 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 811 Likes on 487 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Chicago Bob
back seat?
Yes. LT3 is the back seat option.
The following 3 users liked this post by F4Gary:
Benjamin207 (05-05-2021), Geoff13IOM6GS (05-03-2021), msd127 (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 01:53 PM
KrautV8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgprisms
.......in the past 6 years we sold a 92 Corvette....40 Ford Coupe....55 Chevy.
I drove the prospective buyers on a ride....not one asked to drive the car. All 3 people purchased it on the spot with money in hand.
In your ad place...." Qualified buyers only...no Joy Riders....if you have to ask the Wife....bring her with you or don't bother coming.

Another good avenue to sell your is at a Corvette Show...or a Cruise-in. If they need to have the car looked at by a Mechanic....tell them to forget it.................
lol and ALL 3 of them were complete fools. u can hide so much by driving urself a passenger wont EVER notice, even major damage like the car tilting to one side bc the whole frame is squeezed.
I would NEVER buy a car im not allowed to drive by myself. the only thing I bought without having a ride at all was a collectors motorcycle (u can check a bike much better by looks then a car) but I demanded to see the enginge running.
One time someone wrote in the ad "only test drive if u put buy value in cash" I did not do it but in person he saw that I was serious (like wtf, u dont trust me and expect me to put down ALL the cash into ur hand and demand me to trust u completely? "never" I said)

and to topic:
In my experience as 37y old car guy selling much fast cars from Corrado VR6 (was fast in that time),BMW M3, to 2 vettes, 911 turbo and rly much more I cant even say if I had ANY guy come to me who I thought he just wanted to "tire kick" as u say in the states (im from germany though) - I dont think the mentality of people is that much different and I also think that if u really have such a "tire kicker" come to u u will recognize it pretty fast. Plus I am pretty sure tire kickers go far more likely to dealerships than to private sellers (I also went to Audi and Benz for test driving which could be considered "tyre kicking" to compare models - but thats part of an official car make dealers job imo - at the end I bought an Audi from private so they still get their value out of it...)
And btw there will be also serious buyers who drive the car but DONT buy it, I drove 5 M5s and bought not a single one though I wanted to have one and had cash in hand (bought my first vette then instead of the E39M5) - and like others said, thats part of selling the car.

Last edited by KrautV8; 04-25-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:05 PM
jriley9922
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts

My 2 cents.... I say only I (as the owner) am driving it for the initial visit/viewing.

If they are serious and come back to "close the deal". I will let them drive it then. More often than not, the deal is closing with a certified check.
So if they show up with that check.. That means they went through the process (takes like 30 minutes not including getting to/from bank... can only do in person) of getting the check, willing to freeze those funds in their back account, and pay whatever administration fee of like $30 bank charges.

A lot of hassle for a tire kicker. That also is an easy way of proof of funds. 2 birds for 1 stone.

If they've done that and seem to be a decent human being.... Then usually let them drive it... And/or take it themselves to a shop for a PPI.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:51 AM
KrautV8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jriley9922
My 2 cents.... I say only I (as the owner) am driving it for the initial visit/viewing.

If they are serious and come back to "close the deal". I will let them drive it then. More often than not, the deal is closing with a certified check.
So if they show up with that check.. That means they went through the process (takes like 30 minutes not including getting to/from bank... can only do in person) of getting the check, willing to freeze those funds in their back account, and pay whatever administration fee of like $30 bank charges.

A lot of hassle for a tire kicker. That also is an easy way of proof of funds. 2 birds for 1 stone.

If they've done that and seem to be a decent human being.... Then usually let them drive it... And/or take it themselves to a shop for a PPI.
so how tf shall a potential buyer decide to "close the deal" or not if he does not even know how the car handles, feels, drives??
what u do is u expect the buyer to "tire kick" before he comes to u somewhere else.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:45 AM
Slick61
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When I bought my Backdraft Cobra, I did not drive it til 3 days after it was delivered to my garage... after registration and insurance were all in place. When I went to look at it, I drove nearly 7 hours to see it. The owner took me for a ride. He offered to let me drive it... which I appreciated, but declined. I said I would drive when it was mine. It IS surprising what you can pick up from the passenger seat. I made a cash offer, which was accepted a few days later. I may finance my my daily drivers, but not my toys. Once you get beyond about 5 years old, it becomes increasingly difficult to finance used cars anyway. When I sold the Cobra 8 years later, it was bought sight-unseen by a guy in Nebraska. Two weeks after the check cleared, I called him & told him to arrange pickup. That took another 3 or 4 weeks. We were both happy. When I went to look at my '04 C5 Z06, again, the owner took me for a ride... and again, he offered to let me drive it after a while... which I did... tho I already knew I was going to buy it. Both purchases were done via wire transfer (both cash offers)... and in both cases, the owner drove it to my house. We then went to my credit union together & I transferred the funds. With the vette, I then drove the owner back to his home. I guess it's all a matter of what you're comfortable with. Stick to yer guns.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:42 AM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Received 302 Likes on 177 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jriley9922

Keep in mind that a "certified check" (really a cashier's check) can being forged as well. Many banks will hold half of the funds back until it clears due to increasing fraudulent checks. My bank did it to me in March when I sold my Z28. Held half the funds for 7 business days, which works out to 10 days. The buyer had to reschedule the transport company because of this. Do not release the title or the vehicle until after the check has cleared. Or better yet, do a wire transfer.
The following users liked this post:
Gypsy883 (05-02-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 09:56 AM
oldC5Rfan
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Up front tell them the ONLY way they drive the car is after they put the purchase price , in cash into your hand , otherwise it will be a test RIDE and you will put the car thru some paces
Old 06-04-2021, 09:11 PM
SteveJewels
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lilcuda
Keep in mind that a "certified check" (really a cashier's check) can being forged as well. Many banks will hold half of the funds back until it clears due to increasing fraudulent checks. My bank did it to me in March when I sold my Z28. Held half the funds for 7 business days, which works out to 10 days. The buyer had to reschedule the transport company because of this. Do not release the title or the vehicle until after the check has cleared. Or better yet, do a wire transfer.
A certified check is a personal check where the bank 'certifies' there are sufficient funds to cover the check at the time they verify it. A person can empty their account after the finds are verified.

A cashiers check is one drawn on the bank's account not on a personal account. The bank withdraws the funds from the person's account so the presenter of the check no longer has access to those funds in their account.
1994SuperSport (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 04:01 PM
1994SuperSport
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lrobe22
Bringatrailer
BaT isn't as sure thing as it used to be, the website has changed over the years from a more "here's what I found in the backwoods for cheap" to a really pompous place. The "prospective" buyers on BaT ask a TON of questions, and it will take a seller significant time to go through them (esp the specific photo request ones). I will say though, if you have a top 10% condition car in a niche classic market, you will get top dollar there.

But if you have even a scratch, slight wear on the seat, or a single bolt with surface rust, you will get bombarded with questions with non bidders who are mainly looking to be nit picky or difficult.
leadfoot_mf (06-16-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 06:10 PM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SteveJewels
A certified check is a personal check where the bank 'certifies' there are sufficient funds to cover the check at the time they verify it. A person can empty their account after the finds are verified.

A cashiers check is one drawn on the bank's account not on a personal account. The bank withdraws the funds from the person's account so the presenter of the check no longer has access to those funds in their account.
My point was that cashier’s checks are being forged and as a result, banks are now putting holds on them, so releasing a car to someone who pays with a cashier’s check is risky. I will only do wire transfers from now on.
REACTOR111 (06-12-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 12:55 AM
1994SuperSport
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lilcuda
My point was that cashier’s checks are being forged and as a result, banks are now putting holds on them, so releasing a car to someone who pays with a cashier’s check is risky. I will only do wire transfers from now on.
Wires aren't necessarily secure, you are giving the person your bank account number and routing number (in addition to your name and address but that's on the title so that's moot).

Tbh, meeting at the bank is a decent solution if you are worried about a fake cashiers check. I ended up having to do that on a car purchase because I wasn't quite sure how to spell the persons name. So we met at the bank and I had him spell his name on the paper you pre-fill in the lobby for a withdrawal.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:54 AM
Vate
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

>>>Tbh, meeting at the bank is a decent solution<<<

Agree 100%. And not just "meet at the bank", but stand together in line, meet with the banker together, etc., so that the seller sees the process of withdrawing the funds.

Wire transfer is also a good option. Yes you do have to give up your personal information, including ABA routing number and account number, but all of that is at the bottom of a paper check anyway. I keep a 'no fee' checking account with $1000 in it, at a different bank, for any transactions like this, which is an 'air gap' of sorts to my main checking/savings account. When the money hits that account, I move it into another account.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:09 AM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1994SuperSport
Wires aren't necessarily secure, you are giving the person your bank account number and routing number (in addition to your name and address but that's on the title so that's moot).

Tbh, meeting at the bank is a decent solution if you are worried about a fake cashiers check. I ended up having to do that on a car purchase because I wasn't quite sure how to spell the persons name. So we met at the bank and I had him spell his name on the paper you pre-fill in the lobby for a withdrawal.
Originally Posted by Vate
>>>Tbh, meeting at the bank is a decent solution<<<

Agree 100%. And not just "meet at the bank", but stand together in line, meet with the banker together, etc., so that the seller sees the process of withdrawing the funds.

Wire transfer is also a good option. Yes you do have to give up your personal information, including ABA routing number and account number, but all of that is at the bottom of a paper check anyway. I keep a 'no fee' checking account with $1000 in it, at a different bank, for any transactions like this, which is an 'air gap' of sorts to my main checking/savings account. When the money hits that account, I move it into another account.
I have an account at my bank that is used strictly for this situation. It has a minimum balance requirement of only $300. If I am selling a car, I give the buyer this account #. I then transfer the funds ASAP to my other account. This way I’m only risking the $300. If I am buying, I transfer the funds into this account and the send the wire from there.

In this day and age, many transactions are not going to be local to you. You may not have the option of going to the bank with the other party.
The following 2 users liked this post by lilcuda:
1994SuperSport (06-08-2021), WA 2 FST (06-12-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 11:26 AM
Ron_Attleboro_MA
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 553 Posts

I think about this myself. I am going to question prospective buys and I will take them for a test drive.
No one is driving until they agree to the price and put a $100 deposit. They can take a long test drive prior to putting the full $$ in my bank.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:40 AM
LilNutSac
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts

Same way Kia Autosport used to:
DO YOU HAVE A JOB???
DO YOU HAVE $99???
Old 06-10-2021, 04:05 AM
ClarkN
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

The best way to avoid tire kickers is to sale it to me. If you are interested/ready to sale please let me know details. Thanks so much.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the best way of "qualifying" prospective buyers??

Old 06-11-2021, 09:26 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I buy and sell toys online all the time. To me it’s pretty easy to tell if somebody is a serious buyer or not after a short talk. And if it’s an 18 year old buying their first whatever it is I may decline to sell. (I had this happen with one of my 250 hp turbo nitrous snowmobiles… kid didn’t know anything about sleds, first one for him, and i felt it to be potentially bad so I declined to sell).

I also take checks all the time. I snap a picture of the buyers drivers license, and call the bank on the check to verify funds. Never been a problem.

Now that I said all that there’s one thing that you people selling things need to QUIT DOING! After a deal is made in an online sale pending final inspection and agreements are made to meet and finalize the sale, do not wrap up by saying “make sure you bring cash”. I’m not about to haul around thousands or tens of thousands of dollars cash money. I’ll walk away from a deal when that happens.

-Justin
rdwalljr (06-18-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 01:51 AM
streamliner
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 06-12-2021, 06:33 PM
Fed Up
"My Dad's a TV Repairman"

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Bob
back seat?

Yep, if they try to stuff some guy in the back hatch area, I'm driving away. Not saying bye.

Last edited by Fed Up; 06-12-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply: FS: What's the best way of "qualifying" prospective buyers??