Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

WTT: 1999 Porsche Carrera 911 Cabriolet Tiptronic – mint, 62,400 miles, exc service hist

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 11:23 AM
TeamBFT
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 45 Posts

Default 1999 Porsche Carrera 911 Cabriolet Tiptronic – mint, 62,400 miles, exc service hist

*******SOLD******
1999 Porsche Carrera 911 Cabriolet Tiptronic– mint, 62,500 miles, excellent service history

Asking $21,000 – would consider trade plus cash towards your C6.

Outstanding turnkey example of what is quickly becoming a legendary car to own and collect.

For those familiar with 996’s, you know the 1999 is the best year. They had the non-problematic dual row IMS bearing, unlike subsequent models with the flawed single row. This car is also much more “analog” than the more “digital” years that followed – still a very connected feel in driving dynamics. The balanced and weighted steering is just phenomenal – it’s literally a slot car in corners (preaching to choir here).

The Tiptronic really surprised me. I've had many Euro cars with “semi” manuals (and typically prefer a straight up manual) but this one just flat out works well. In addition, it makes daily driving way, way more enjoyable.

This car drives like new – starts, handles, runs, and shifts flawlessly. It has very, very low 62,500 miles and actually makes a phenomenal daily driver– and is still being driven a couple days a week.

This car was owned by one person for over 20 years and 58,500 miles. It has a flawless Carfax (which I can send). I have documented all the maintenance history in a spreadsheet I can also send. And Ive got a file folder of actual invoices - services all done at reputable Porsche dealerships.

I'm an absolute fanatic with my “toys”, an enthusiast and a gear-head and have always maintained and cleaned them perfectly.

Some details:

· - It was over$85,000 when new. Pic of window sticker included.

· - No scratches,dents or chips. The paint is gorgeous and shines beautifully with zero fade

· - No history of accidents; the flawless Carfax also documents some of the service history and I have a folder & spreadsheet of all its maintenance/repairs.

· - This car has always been stored in a climate control garage and it shows. It has been owned by "mature" adults and never hot-rodded, dragged, tuned, etc.

· - Interior is like new and comes with the Porsche OEM factory carbon fiber trim option as well as OEM all-leather seats versus just panels.

· - Perfect convertible top - replaced a couple years ago when it started to show wear.

· - Porsche hardtop is included along with the Porsche storage stand.

· - Car has had the pricier 60k maintenance completed.

· - Wheels are new 18” Victor Equipment Turismo wheels – specifically designed for Porsches - I also have a new front spare that I saw on Ebay - figured would be good to have. They are currently professionally plasti-dipped black and can easily be reversed to their stock silver finish.

· - I have two sets of Porsche crested center caps – silver and gold

· - Power seats, power windows, power mirrors, cruise control, heat and A/C, etc all work flawlessly.

· - I have replaced dash speakers and the rear speakers with 4" Kickers – waaaay better. I also replaced the door subs with 5.25”woofers. Left the factory amp in for now - actually works quite well.

· - Installed a new Alpine CDE-172BT head unit from Crutchfield providing much better performance along with Bluetooth calls/audio

· - I installed ECS Tuning wheel spacers 15mm rear and 12mm front – makes a profound difference in the cars stance. Easily removed if desired.

· - Original OEM Hi-Fi Becker audio head unit with CD is included

· - Installed a 12V aux and USB port via switched power

· - I just completed installing new NGK Iridium spark plugs, Liquid Moly oil and Mahle oil filter, new Mahle fuel filter and air filter and cleaned out the water drain tubes (weren’t clogged) and also did the Porsche drain tube TSB. Just had wheels balanced and flipped at Discount Tire.

· - Installed new engine mounts ….super easy to do and more of a maintenance item on these cars

· - New brakes all around. Tires are good for a few thousand miles – Nitto 18’s.

· - Custom aluminum center cup holder - since this year didn't come with it.

· - Side marker lights tinted/wrapped darker

· - Painted the Brembo calipers red using G2 Caliper kit and applied new Porsche caliper decals

· - Original owner ordered the car with Porsche badge delete option – I added an OEM Carrera badge to the rear deck lid

· - I did a minor resonator delete (Helmholtz mod) – common mod – you can now actually hear the intake above 4k – have stock parts if wanted to reverse it

· - Oxilam LED reverse lights installed

· - Philips Extreme Racing Vision headlight bulbs installed - major improvement

· - Carbon fiber mirror caps installed

· - MagnaGrafik Speedster stone guards installed (magnetic – easily removed; cleaned at every wash and they leave zero markings)

· - Coolant tank replaced - very common maintenance/ replacement item. (not cheap)

· - Porsche OEM car cover included

·I have all receipts since day one as well as all Porsche manuals/portfolio, radio code card, original window sticker and buyers order. Two keys/fobs. I also have a“library” of articles, maintenance instructions, mods that can be done, etc.

·Clean and clear Tennessee title in my name.

·Hagerty (where I have it insured) assessed the car, in this condition, at $24,000.

I've priced it at $21,000.

Car is located in Brentwood, TN, which is about 20 minutes south of Nashville. I’m happy to meet, talk, work with shippers, etc.

Feel free to call, email or text. (615) 969-8487. Happy to chat!!

Last edited by TeamBFT; 04-16-2020 at 10:27 AM. Reason: sold
Old 04-04-2020, 11:55 AM
M.Y.02Z06
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

wrong thread

Last edited by M.Y.02Z06; 04-04-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:06 PM
USA1LT1
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice car - is that the factory carbon fiber interior trim or did you add it?
Old 04-07-2020, 08:12 PM
TeamBFT
Racer

Thanks
factory/OEM option that year
Old 04-08-2020, 09:14 PM
USA1LT1
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamBFT
Thanks
factory/OEM option that year
It's a relatively rare option that really wakes up the otherwise sorta boring standard 996 interior.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:38 AM
steiner711
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Is this car posted on any or the for sale sites like CarGurus, Autotrader etc.? I have a friend that looking to get into an older Porsche but he's not a forum guy.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:04 AM
TeamBFT
Racer

Originally Posted by steiner711
Is this car posted on any or the for sale sites like CarGurus, Autotrader etc.? I have a friend that looking to get into an older Porsche but he's not a forum guy.
I just put it on autotrader yesterday.

and here is a link to Craigslist ad https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto...096901374.html

Old 04-09-2020, 10:32 AM
steiner711
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Thank you sir!
Old 04-14-2020, 12:17 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,510 Likes on 2,830 Posts

These are fun cars, but all over the place in the mid to low teens. My dad just got an 00 for 3k, with a stick to boot. Downside of these 3.4sother than limited power is they like to crack heads and Intermix oil and coolant. Then you get to find out that the bores go out of spec withing 40k miles, so you get to replace theiners with nickies... And still have to find someone to fix the heads Which are actually the whole damn case. Then Raby tells you a whole new engine is 25 grand, can't be used for any track use, and will take a year to build. Or you can buy a used motor and roll the dice like he chose to.

Fun cars, but only good for a cruiser with the slushbox. You're gonna be better off trying to trade for a C5, those are a bit closer in value to your car than a C6. It looks like a nice car, and the 99s come with some nice perks like the mechanical throttle body. I wouldn't mind finding a cheap one to build the 3.4 we have laying around for.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:43 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,510 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Didn't post crap, posted a story about a similar car my dad bought so other vette owners who may not know what they're getting into have a frame of reference. The best IMS alone has a higher fail rate than any corvette part, ls7 heads included. Get thicker skin if you consider that posting crap, lol.

It's hard to believe you haven't heard of the heads cracking, it's very common. Typically, the water pump wears a little, the plastic impeller wears on the block, and the bits of plastic come off and clog passages in the head. Typically happens after a water pump replacement because the WP wasn't done proactively. A quick Google search of "M96 intermix" will come up with boatloads of activity about it, and Jake Raby (love him or hate him) saying not to even bother troubleshooting intermix on a 3.4 (or the similar engines from Boxster) because that's what is causing it 99.999% of the time.

Good luck with your sale or trade, but like I said, your car is worth c5 money, and anyone with access to cars.com can see that. If your car didn't have faded headlights and had like 10k miles... Maybe to the right Porsche guy. But the fried egg light cars have taken a beating, it's rare to see a stick go for over 20k, let alone an auto. I get in the Porsche community people are used to "they all go up" as a mantra, but it ain't true, and the 996 is not some future classic like the 993 was.

Anyways, good luck, your car looks nice for its age and nicely optioned.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:54 AM
TeamBFT
Racer

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Didn't post crap, posted a story about a similar car my dad bought so other vette owners who may not know what they're getting into have a frame of reference. The best IMS alone has a higher fail rate than any corvette part, ls7 heads included. Get thicker skin if you consider that posting crap, lol.

It's hard to believe you haven't heard of the heads cracking, it's very common. Typically, the water pump wears a little, the plastic impeller wears on the block, and the bits of plastic come off and clog passages in the head. Typically happens after a water pump replacement because the WP wasn't done proactively. A quick Google search of "M96 intermix" will come up with boatloads of activity about it, and Jake Raby (love him or hate him) saying not to even bother troubleshooting intermix on a 3.4 (or the similar engines from Boxster) because that's what is causing it 99.999% of the time.

Good luck with your sale or trade, but like I said, your car is worth c5 money, and anyone with access to cars.com can see that. If your car didn't have faded headlights and had like 10k miles... Maybe to the right Porsche guy. But the fried egg light cars have taken a beating, it's rare to see a stick go for over 20k, let alone an auto. I get in the Porsche community people are used to "they all go up" as a mantra, but it ain't true, and the 996 is not some future classic like the 993 was.

every high end car has issues and component failure rates.
the IMS rate on a dual row bearing 996 is inconsequential. The latter years are even low.
In many cases, cracked heads are indicative of abuse, over heat and pressure.
just don’t go posting negative generalities on individuals for sale ads. It’s just wrong.

i could pick apart every single for sale ad on this forum.
ive worked for two automotive OEMS for over 25 years and have countless data on failure rates for every part known to man.

again, send me a few links of 996s for sale, with my miles, my condition, my service history from a private seller. East of the Mississippi.

Last edited by TeamBFT; 04-14-2020 at 10:37 AM. Reason: removed my derogatory remark
The following users liked this post:
1998 t/a (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 10:36 AM
TeamBFT
Racer

Interference in a For Sale thread
If you don’t like the price or item being offered in for sale thread, take it to e-mail or PMs. Better still, just move on to a thread that is offering something you like the price on.
If you post a criticism of the price or the quality of the item being offered, you will be in violation of Forum rules and subject to sanctions.
If you post your own for sale items to the for sale thread started by someone else, you also are in violation of Forum rules. Start your own thread, rather than jumping into the thread of someone else.
If your contribution to a for sale thread does not advance the sale, you are in the way.

Last edited by TeamBFT; 04-14-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:26 PM
Design Matters
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Good luck with your sale or trade, but like I said, your car is worth c5 money, and anyone with access to cars.com can see that. If your car didn't have faded headlights and had like 10k miles... Maybe to the right Porsche guy. But the fried egg light cars have taken a beating, it's rare to see a stick go for over 20k, let alone an auto. I get in the Porsche community p6eople are used to "they all go up" as a mantra, but it ain't true, and the 996 is not some future classic like the 993 was.

A good synopsis of 996 situation. Thread starter, don't be offended, take advice to heart...fun ride for $15-16, no sale at much higher. Agree the 996's especially the facelifted 2002+ are a crazy good value, but ya gotta be real on the slush box, no glovebox, no cupholders 996.1's.

Price her at $15 and get a quick sale during COVID craziness. P cars ARE WONDERFUL to drive and steering feel on a 996 puts ANY 'vettte to shame! GLWS.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:40 AM
TeamBFT
Racer

Thanks everyone for the constructive and insightful input!! Truly appreciated. $15,500 it is!!

Get notified of new replies

To 1999 Porsche Carrera 911 Cabriolet Tiptronic – mint, 62,400 miles, exc service hist

Quick Reply: WTT: 1999 Porsche Carrera 911 Cabriolet Tiptronic – mint, 62,400 miles, exc service hist