Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

Best way to get paid on a private sale?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
When I sold my 2005 to a private buyer, I asked the buyer to meet me at my bank. We went to the teller together, I gave the teller my bank account number and the buyer handed the teller the cash. Teller counted and confirmed the amount and deposited it directly to my account. Cash never physically touched my hands. Once complete, I signed over paperwork and the deal was done.
This I like, and would be ideal if buyer agrees to it. Some buyers would not be willing to walk around with 45K in their pocket.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:12 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam_W
This I like, and would be ideal if buyer agrees to it. Some buyers would not be willing to walk around with 45K in their pocket.
You can probably change that to MOST buyers. This is where it's best for you to meet at their bank and watch them cut the check. Finish the transaction there and go your separate ways...
Old 08-04-2014, 01:54 PM
kthomas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bank transfer, picked the guy up at the airport, drove him to my house to drop me off, signed a bill of sale, title (Texas) and handed him the keys and he drove home.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:42 PM
utownal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=ferravette;1587511859]Just went thru this on a sale just short of 6 figures.

Wire transfer woud be the best bet. If your bank is also his bank the transfer takes minutes. If the banks are different it takes about 2 hours for the transfer but it will show as pending until the next day.

I called my bank and spoke to a management person who informed me that in order for the wire transfer to be reversed I would have to approve it. Also it was a FEDWIRE transfer.

So I let the buyer pick up the car a few hours later,

Hope this helps.
This is the route I took on an out of state purchase.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 PM
atikovi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guy at Gas Monkey Garage always brings stacks of cash when making deals.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Fabio-Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

To the people saying wire transfer are not instant I can tell I that is incorrect. I work at a financial institution and wire transfers are always instant.

The only reason why it takes some time to get it to go thru only has to do with the manager who approves it. By that I mean it takes as long as it takes for the manager to get to your particular transaction to approve. He/she may have 30 other transaction ahead of yours and then it goes to the back office operations area to release the funds.

Wire transfers are safest quickest and easiest way to get paid. It's actually more dangerous for the person sending the money than u because u, the receiver, would have to be notified before funds can be sent back and u need to approve it.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 110 Posts

Sold my 11 GS on this site about 2 months ago. Did a wire transfer from his bank to mine. I got the money in my account in about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Clean deal.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:00 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Absolutely the best and safest way.

Originally Posted by CaDreamn
Depending on institutions it takes minutes. Some banks will hold funds until the next morning.
Being a dealer in Montreal Canada i ve concluded many transactions with the U.S.A and wire transfer is the best way to go.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
Being a dealer in Montreal Canada i ve concluded many transactions with the U.S.A and wire transfer is the best way to go.

Is there any risk - in wire transfers - of giving out your routing number / account number ?

I'm guessing the answer is no, i.e. no more risk than when you write a check for any other payment and they see the same information on the bottom of the check.

Or do you recommend that we have a dedicated account with very little money it in that is for the purpose of receiving wire transfers?
Old 08-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam_W
I recently asked this question in another part of the forum.

Cashier's checks can be forged, keep that in mind.

Reasonably safe and usually acceptable: meet up at local branch of buyer's bank. Watch him/her purchase a cashier's check and hand it to you. You do paperwork/bill of sale on the spot. Only way the cashier's check can be "stopped" is if they claim it was stolen or lost or damaged and there is a process to doing that, and the money gets held up by the bank.

Ideal way: you tell them to meet you at the bank with cash, and you deposit it right there. Most buyers don't want to do that, but if you give them a significant discount off your price, they might go for it. Much safer than them handing you cash in their bank or in a parking lot for obvious reasons.
This^^^ meet him at a bank and have him cut you a cashiers check for the amount right in front of you...go immediately and deposit in your bank...no risk
Old 08-06-2014, 03:35 PM
bjs100
Instructor

Originally Posted by 175rgr

Bank Check: If he is financing the vehicle and his bank hands him the check and not you its also okay. Just call his bank and speak with the loan officer if you are hesitant about the legitimacy of the check.

Certified Check: Same thing, its going to be coming from his bank, so call and confirm he has funds available (they wont allow him to get the check if he doesn't).
From a buyers point of view, I am putting a lot of confidence in the seller because I am handing over a lot of funds, so I have to be sure that he will be handing me the title and the keys. When I purchased from the US (I am from Canada), the sellers bank contacted my bank and spoke with the branch manager. He confirmed the legitimacy, I got my Vette and he got the cash deposited in his account within a few days. I hope your sale goes as easily as my purchase went.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:47 AM
Mark Wade
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty simple as most have stated guy puts money in your bank account picks up car when money is there ,how hards that or pictures of the Queen were i come from new zealand or pictures of your old president the old green back , but generally you get a feel about people when their abit dodgy

Quick Reply: Best way to get paid on a private sale?