Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

F/S: 2005 Triple Black Vert (M6) with 37k...$20,000

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to go up to north fla next week and if anyone is serious about this car I could try make time to swing by and take a look at this car if it happens to be on the way of where I am headed.

I can take some more pics/video, etc........

I do not know this seller at all and have no interest in the car other than helping other forum members out.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:43 PM
hallj0806
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sale pending...deposit received
Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM
ryanmh
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hallj0806
Sale pending...deposit received
You seem like a stand-up guy, but with all due respect, I'm going to publicly vent my slightly ticked off status:

ME: "Thanks. Looks good on the crank bolt. I will try to let you know by tonight whether it's a yes or a no."

YOU: "Yeah. That's fine. Just let me know either way." 11:36AM

I spend the next THREE HOURS of my day lining everything up and making sure I would a) have final wife sign-off; b) have approval for the loan (even though I clearly informed you I could pay cash for it, just didn't want to with a 2.5% loan rate that I secured), and c) be able to book plane tickets and have time off in the next couple weeks so that you wouldn't have some chintzy, "Here's my deposit" only to have the sale fall through. I don't play that game.

My time is not free, and now I'm going to be sitting at work until 8PM or 9PM tonight making up the time.

I understand you wanted to sell the car, but when you give me until the evening, it's common courtesy not to unload the car without giving me a heads up. Granted, I didn't send you a deposit, but you never asked for one to hold the car.

Honestly, I don't know if I would even be interested if your deal falls through this week. I feel like someone just kicked sand in my face. I realize that wasn't your intent, but hopefully its a bit of a learning experience for next time. Even if someone wants to put down a deposit, if you earlier gave someone until the evening, stick to it! I'm just hoping it doesn't go to some clown dealer who spiffs it up and resells it. Was totally my dream car once I figured out the stripe package I was going to do. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ryanmh; 07-24-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:21 PM
hallj0806
Advanced

ryan,

I'm sorry you feel that way. As I told you on our phone conversation, I was calling everyone back in order of who PM'ed me. That was the best I could do. You also said in your text that your wife has the ultimate veto power over the situation. From my stand point there is no yes or no agreement at the time. when i texted back " yeah thats fine" I'm assuming you will give me a yes or no later on tonight, you were telling me what needs to get done from your end before you could make an offer. At that point I continued to contact other buyers like I told you over the phone, that there were other potential buyers....so for me.. The vehicle is still for sale.

By the way the gentleman who the sale is pending for the vehicle offered to put a deposit down in order for me to hold the vehicle. I did not offer it to him. That was not my intent to make you feel like I kicked you in the face at all. At the end of the day I think it was a communication error. I'm not trying to screw anyone over at all. Again text messages come with certain assumptions from either party. I took it one way you took it another.

Last edited by hallj0806; 07-24-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:44 PM
ryanmh
Racer

I get it. There was no deposit and it wasn't a hard yes. Someone came up with that, and you took it. It's just a real b*tch that I thought I had a few hours to get back to you, when I clearly did not, even though you had said I did. If I knew that was the case, I would have firmed things up much sooner with you, and then covered the other bases. Candidly, my wife was on board 10 minutes after I talked to you. It took hours to iron out a weird credit bureau quirk. I have sterling credit, but the bureau most of the banks were using was reporting no credit history at all. Strange, but I ironed it out. Did I need to do that? No. I could have easily paid cash. But I thought I had the time to do it because that's what you had indicated, so I did. That's what really irks me.

If the sale falls through, let me know and I'll reconsider it. Else, good luck with the sale. I just hope the guy buying it will enjoy it and isn't some scummy dealer looking for a flip. This was really a dream car for me once I got the color issue ironed out with some stripes. I'm pretty torn up over the whole thing, and still a bit shocked, but I'll get over it.

Originally Posted by hallj0806
ryan,

I'm sorry you feel that way. As I told you on our phone conversation, I was calling everyone back in order of who PM'ed me. That was the best I could do. You also said in your text that your wife has the ultimate veto power over the situation. From my stand point there is no yes or no agreement at the time. when i texted back " yeah thats fine" I'm assuming you will give me a yes or no later on tonight, you were telling me what needs to get done from your end before you could make an offer. At that point I continued to contact other buyers like I told you over the phone, that there were other potential buyers....so for me.. The vehicle is still for sale.

By the way the gentleman who the sale is pending for the vehicle offered to put a deposit down in order for me to hold the vehicle. I did not offer it to him. That was not my intent to make you feel like I kicked you in the face at all.

Last edited by ryanmh; 07-24-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Gentlemen, gentlemen!!!!! It's just a car!!!!!!! It's okay. Some folks got blown up during the Boston marathon and we all tend to get caught up in this thing, the little stuff that is so unimportant in life. It is okay.....

I KNEW this car was gonna sell fast and anyone who was remotely interested needed to ACT quickly.

It sounds more like a communication error. If you don't end up with this car (probably will not as a deposit was taken) there are others and you may even get a better deal, who knows?

I already have one in mind if you wanna take a shot at it. Not my car though. LOL!

Everyone take a deep breath!!!!!!!! It's gonna be okay!

Last edited by theblackvette; 07-24-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Old 07-25-2013, 12:29 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

car is a no brainer, I'd be in FL Thursday

If the frame has the VIN and the factory welds are intact on the front corners, it's just a dirty carfax.

No Biggie.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:26 AM
ryanmh
Racer

Well the credit union called today and wondered who they make the check out to. That was lots of fun. So, uh, if the other deal falls apart, I guess I have a check waiting for me. At least I didn't book the plane ticket!

I know the seller doesn't feel any better about this than I do, so hopefully this thread is a good lesson for everyone reading it. I learned something too--better to put cash down on a deal and bail if it starts to smell funny rather than line it all up first! I just see so many "sale fell through.. buyer couldn't get financing" or "buyer changed his mind" threads and all that sort of nonsense. I didn't want to be that guy. But, now I understand why somany buyers are that guy. I would be on a plane instead of shopping!

And I have no idea if Steve's weird comment means he's the buyer. I hope not. For a dealer on this forum to buy something, spit shine it, and flip it when an individual on this forum could have bought it would be nothing short of despicable. What burns me is that I suspect that is exactly what is going on here (even if it isn't Steve). I really hope this goes to someone who is going to love the car and drive it. Headers, Borlas, convertible, M6, black with bright yellow stripes (see Guy Fieri 427)... so the car I wanted.

Last edited by ryanmh; 07-25-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:20 PM
blaSSt
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Ryan, don't know if it will make you feel better, but, I am good friends with the person who sent the deposit and is making arrangements to get the car. He is a long time car buff and this is a dream car for him. He is thrilled, will cherish it for a very long time, and probably will never sell it.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanmh
For a dealer on this forum to buy something, spit shine it, and flip it when an individual on this forum could have bought it would be nothing short of despicable. What burns me is that I suspect that is exactly what is going on here (even if it isn't Steve). .
This right here is despicable, YOU waffled on the deal plain and simple. If it was your dream ride, you should have secured the car ASAP!

And why is a dealer not allowed to beat you to the punch? Snooze you loose, lesson learned eh?

And your whinin is pathetic, it's not the OPs fault you missed the deal, it's your fault it went down the way it did, because you failed to pony up on the spot and be definitive in your interest in the car.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:25 PM
ryanmh
Racer

Let's be clear here: Your "advice" is potentially toxic to a seller who could find himself in a similar situation with a much less understanding and forgiving buyer. Someone else might have simply gone straight to a lawsuit. In many states, a buyer in my shoes could prevail against a seller who did something like this, no matter the seller's best intentions or understanding. I have litigated cases with worse facts for clients and won them. So let's not wander around giving out advice that might get forum members sued.

If a seller makes an offer of goods at a particular price, the buyer responds that they will confirm whether they will purchase by that evening, the seller agrees to provide them that time, then sells the item prior to expiration of the time given, the seller in many states just opened himself to potential litigation and damages. That situation happened here, and that isn't good. With the right person, that has the potential to be much more than just a "misunderstanding." If fact, I know someone who was sued (or nearly so) in similar circumstances when he decided he did not want to sell. While there is always room to argue that there was some confusion or misunderstanding, those arguments can and do end up in front of judges.

Sellers with multiple interested parties need to be very careful what they do and say. "Ponying up on the spot" has little if anything to do with it unless it is made clear to each party that cash is required to hold the vehicle. I can understand, to an extent, the Seller's confusion and his actions. However, the law typically does not consider whether you understood that what you did was a Very Bad Thing.

Now, as for my comment about dealers? Since I'm likely going to have to let this car go and take one on the chin, and since I'm not normally the type of person to run around suing people when I get knocked around a little, I'm simply much happier knowing that an enthusiast is going to buy it and love driving it. I would have a much harder time sitting back when a dealer was going to put it on his lot to try to make a few bucks off of it. At that point, I might have had to do my Florida law research to see if the seller had options to get out of it without being subject to damages (since, frankly, I would not want some dealer coming after him if I pushed the issue).

What happened shouldn't have happened. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. The seller seemed like a nice guy, and I hope the eventual buyer enjoys his new car. 'Nuf said.

Originally Posted by Cedarberry
This right here is despicable, YOU waffled on the deal plain and simple. If it was your dream ride, you should have secured the car ASAP!

And why is a dealer not allowed to beat you to the punch? Snooze you loose, lesson learned eh?

And your whinin is pathetic, it's not the OPs fault you missed the deal, it's your fault it went down the way it did, because you failed to pony up on the spot and be definitive in your interest in the car.

Last edited by ryanmh; 07-25-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:39 PM
ryanmh
Racer

That's good to hear. I hope he enjoys it!

Originally Posted by blaSSt
Ryan, don't know if it will make you feel better, but, I am good friends with the person who sent the deposit and is making arrangements to get the car. He is a long time car buff and this is a dream car for him. He is thrilled, will cherish it for a very long time, and probably will never sell it.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanmh
Let's be clear here: Your "advice" is potentially toxic to a seller who could find himself in a similar situation with a much less understanding and forgiving buyer. Someone else might have simply gone straight to a lawsuit. In many states, a buyer in my shoes could prevail against a seller who did something like this, no matter the seller's best intentions or understanding. I have litigated cases with worse facts for clients and won them. So let's not wander around giving out advice that might get forum members sued.

If a seller makes an offer of goods at a particular price, the buyer responds that they will confirm whether they will purchase by that evening, the seller agrees to provide them that time, then sells the item prior to expiration of the time given, the seller in many states just opened himself to potential litigation and damages. That situation happened here, and that isn't good. With the right person, that has the potential to be much more than just a "misunderstanding." If fact, I know someone who was sued (or nearly so) in similar circumstances when he decided he did not want to sell. While there is always room to argue that there was some confusion or misunderstanding, those arguments can and do end up in front of judges.

Sellers with multiple interested parties need to be very careful what they do and say. "Ponying up on the spot" has little if anything to do with it unless it is made clear to each party that cash is required to hold the vehicle. I can understand, to an extent, the Seller's confusion and his actions. However, the law typically does not consider whether you understood that what you did was a Very Bad Thing.

Now, as for my comment about dealers? Since I'm likely going to have to let this car go and take one on the chin, and since I'm not normally the type of person to run around suing people when I get knocked around a little, I'm simply much happier knowing that an enthusiast is going to buy it and love driving it. I would have a much harder time sitting back when a dealer was going to put it on his lot to try to make a few bucks off of it. At that point, I might have had to do my Florida law research to see if the seller had options to get out of it without being subject to damages (since, frankly, I would not want some dealer coming after him if I pushed the issue).

What happened shouldn't have happened. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. The seller seemed like a nice guy, and I hope the eventual buyer enjoys his new car. 'Nuf said.
Man, really, someone's gonna sue someone cause they waffled on a deal and missed out? We're buyin sellin cars here, not gold bricks.

That's definitly a new one, no wonder liability is so high.

I would be bummed as well, but I'm not takin someone to court over a car I missed out on.

I'm not pointing fingers....just sounds like a spoiled brat didn't get his way, gotta pocket full and calls the family lawyer to sue.

For as long as I've been here this the first time I've seen this type of boil.

Like ya say, nuf said
Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 PM
hallj0806
Advanced

Wow...this thread is getting a bit out of hand here. Just to clarify once and for all on my end...from the first post I let everyone know I was out of town and posted here on the forum I was going to call everyone back in the order I was PM'ed me with. The person that put the deposit down was the third person I called and was first to give me a full on YES I want the car. From my point of view and per conversation and text with Ryan who was the first person I called. The assumption was that he was interested in the vehicle but needed to square away a few things before giving me an answer (wife, credit union, crank bolt issue etc). Saying that he would have an answer by the end of the day. At that point with my text saying "that's fine"...meant to ME that the car wasn't on hold and that you would give me a yes or no later on that day. So I continued to call people on my list like i said I would. I texted Ryan back asap once I got the deposit as a courtesy that a sale was pending...on my end I didn't know that he would be on the phone for 3 hours with the credit union etc. On my end I think i did the fair thing from what I assumed was going on. NEVER my intent to screw anyone over.

Last edited by hallj0806; 07-25-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:18 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Guys,

is the car sold?

OP'er hit the triangle button over on the left if so, let's lock this down<<<
Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 PM
ryanmh
Racer

I haven't heard that it actually closed yet, but I've got a new WTB thread up. I'm doing what I can to mitigate the situation and make the best of it. We'll see if anything shows up. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:49 PM
hallj0806
Advanced

Sold

Quick Reply: F/S: 2005 Triple Black Vert (M6) with 37k...$20,000